Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #46
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Earlier on in the thread you were sold on 3-way heads...
Well, you people have a way of changing my mind!

11-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Well, you people have a way of changing my mind!
I wondered how I ended up with tons of lenses (actually six)...

This forum likes to manipulate minds
11-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #48
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I wondered how I ended up with tons of lenses (actually six)...

This forum likes to manipulate minds
Indeed it does!
11-01-2015, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Preference in camera equipment and technique is surely as variable as taste in automobiles. Until you try both a pan/tilt and ball head taking photos with your equipment of your preferred subjects, you'll never know which is better for you, and perhaps not then (I still use both, plus geared and heavy-lens cradle). Fundamentally, pan/tilt is slower, more precise, and perhaps a bit stronger at the same price-point; ball heads are quicker and more compact, possibly a bit lighter for the same load rating, but many of the highly regarded models are expensive, although I would add again, the Sirui K10 - K20 - K30 are bargains and worthy of consideration.

11-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know Leica & Acratech are out of my price range; but the equipment sure is beautiful!
EBay TiltAll cost me $80.
11-01-2015, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Preference in camera equipment and technique is surely as variable as taste in automobiles. Until you try both a pan/tilt and ball head taking photos with your equipment of your preferred subjects, you'll never know which is better for you, and perhaps not then (I still use both, plus geared and heavy-lens cradle).
Which is why I have a closet full of equipment that keeps evolving. You try something and sometimes later find it doesn't meet your needs. So you try something else. And, if you've done all your research and the planets are aligned, you get to say, Yes!

Despite a desire to be conservative in my spending habits, I have come to peace with the fact that I can jerry-rig things for only so long, then I need to get what actually works for me.

Have fun with your new gear!
11-01-2015, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #52
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Which is why I have a closet full of equipment that keeps evolving. You try something and sometimes later find it doesn't meet your needs. So you try something else. And, if you've done all your research and the planets are aligned, you get to say, Yes!

Despite a desire to be conservative in my spending habits, I have come to peace with the fact that I can jerry-rig things for only so long, then I need to get what actually works for me.

Have fun with your new gear!
You been looking in my closet?

11-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
You try something and sometimes later find it doesn't meet your needs. So you try something else.
I no longer need something that's not working for me. So long as I think something else might be better, that's excuse enough to indulge. Consequently I have: one heavy lens cradle; one geared head; four pan/tilt head; AND discounting the tiny ball heads used to support strobes, counting only those at least strong enough to hold the K3 with 40mm f2.8, I have ten ball heads.
11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I no longer need something that's not working for me. So long as I think something else might be better, that's excuse enough to indulge. Consequently I have: one heavy lens cradle; one geared head; four pan/tilt head; AND discounting the tiny ball heads used to support strobes, counting only those at least strong enough to hold the K3 with 40mm f2.8, I have ten ball heads.
Fire sale?
11-02-2015, 04:59 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Fire sale?
I would be willing to sell several of my ball heads, but at what I would regard as a reasonable price, the shipping could be higher. BTW: My favorite is of course the Sirui K10. For a long time I used a Velbon magnesium head of very simple design - very light, locked reliably, but it was locked, or not locked, almost no progression. The largest/strongest head I have is an old Kaiser unit, purchased back in the 90's, long out of production SFAIK (Kaiser heads were never very popular in the USA). I also have a larger version of the Velbon magnesium head that is very strong (very large diameter ball), but is only marginally lighter than the Kaiser and the latter has a nice progressive lock, a friction knob, and a separate panning lock. A few of the other ball heads were bought with expectations that were disappointed, for example, a nicely designed, very compact, very light Giottos ball head that I purchased for traveling, but it was not quite strong enough and sometimes slips when a larger lens + camera is mounted unless I give the locking knob a very hard twist.
11-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #56
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, I've narrowed my choice down to these two. Which would you suggest over the other, and why?

Manfrotto 498RC4 Midi Ball Head with RC4 Plate 498RC4

https://www.outdoorphotogear.com/induro-bhm1-ballhead-deal/
11-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for the Induro with an Arca-Swiss type "quick release.*" The Manfrotto plates come only from Manfrotto, and all of them will be exactly the same as the one that comes with the head. There are many different designs of Arca-type plates, all different sizes with many different designs of anti-twist rims. I can recommend the Sunwayfoto universal camera plate for your camera body (has a slotted guide for the mounting screw and a nice anti-twist rim). DO NOT go for the Manfrotto with it's one-design fits all base plate.

*The Arca-Swiss "quick release" mechanism is NOT quick, but it is more secure and convenient to use than the ancient 1/4 20 tripod socket thread. I will again recommend the Sirui K10 as an alternative to the Induro.
11-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #58
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sunwayfoto universal camera plate
So, which one is this, there are many Sunwayfoto products? This one is preferred over the ones that come with the Induro, Sirui, in what way?
11-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, which one is this, there are many Sunwayfoto products? This one is preferred over the ones that come with the Induro, Sirui, in what way?
The plate that comes with the Induro, indeed the Arca-type plate that comes with any tripod head, is a "general/all purpose" plate that could go on a camera base or equally on a small lens tripod foot. There are plates for cameras that are wider & shorter, more the shape of the base of a camera, with a raised edge that is slightly curved to conform to bottom edge of a camera below the screen. Give a few moments and I'll look up the exact Sunwayfoto plate I use on my Pentax bodies.

BTW: Several companies (Kirk in particular) make camera plates that are custom-shaped to fit precisely on particular camera bodies, Canikon and Sony, none for Pentax.

OK: The plate I use on my Pentax bodies is the "Sunwayfoto DPG-50 Universal Quick Release Plate" about $15. It fits snugly and doesn't interfere with the battery compartment lid, no rotation when turned to a vertical, and the dovetail plate is square so it will slide into the tripod head clamp in any direction. This means that the locking thumbscrew on the clamp can be oriented whichever way you find convenient - left under the camera base, right under camera base, backward protruding below the screen, or forward under the lens.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-18-2015 at 07:00 PM.
11-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #60
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much for that detailed information! I certainly will order one of those plates!

I appreciate your help!