Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the Arca compatible type, not Manfrotto. You'll lose a lot of flexibility going with Manfrotto clamp systems (though I do like -- and have-- some of their ballheads) because they don't fit anyone else's clamps or plates.

Wanted to suggest your consideration of this Sunwayfoto ballhead, which I like very much. What I like most is the clamp itself, which provides panning ability along with the normal ballhead movement. If you look at the picture, you'll see what I mean. Most ball heads move in all directions but, in shooting landscapes, for instance, you may need a constant level for panning, as is used in panoramic shots. If you only use a regular ballhead with the panning underneath, your panning will not be level. With the panning above the head, you'll be level no matter how the ball is positioned. Something to think about that I've found very useful.

Btw, the price quoted on this Amazon page is not what I paid, which was $180. But you can also buy the panning clamp separately and it will fit on any good ballhead.

Amazon.com : SUNWAYFOTO Tripod Ball Head with Panning Clamp Arca Compatible FB-44DDHi Sunway : Camera & Photo

Last edited by Kath; 11-19-2015 at 12:38 AM.
11-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #62
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just when I had decided on the Sirui K-10X, you throw another curve at me!

Sunwayfoto FB-36DL Ball Head With Duo-Lever Clamp FB-36DL B&H

A member previously suggested this for my K3:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/837741-REG/Sunwayfoto_DPG_50_DPG_50_Un...ase_Plate.html

The leveling clamp appears to have been discontinued.

These two items look like it might be a good way for me to go.

Last edited by csa; 11-19-2015 at 10:10 AM.
11-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That long clamp (DPG-76) is really for a zoom or tele with a tripod foot, I would not use that directly on a camera body. Get the DPG-50 to go on the camera. If you do panoramas, or think you might, the Sunwayfoto ball head recommended above would definitely be a good choice. I've done a number of panoramas, almost all hand-held, and they've turned out OK.
11-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #64
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! Don't know how I posted the wrong link to the clamp. (Corrected).

The DBG 50 is even $3 less! The longest lens I have to date, is the 55-300, and of course no foot.

It looks like this will be a great setup for me.

Next, I'll be looking for tripod legs. I currently have a TeleVue used for astro telescopes; but it weighs 7#, with a load capacity of 22#. I would like to get a lighter one, with legs that can be moved to different positions. Currently considering this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822125-REG/Sirui_BSRT1005_T_1005X_5_Se...um_Tripod.html

It only weighs 2.2# which would be much easier for me to handle.

Last edited by csa; 11-19-2015 at 10:43 AM.
11-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sirui makes a nice tripod, although I would recommend flip locks over collar locks (my preference) I have an almost unused Sirui N1004 which I'll sell at a bargain, but it's a bit heavier (2.9lb). I replaced it with one a flip-lock version, which was not available when I bought the one with collar locks.
11-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #66
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sirui makes a nice tripod, although I would recommend flip locks over collar locks (my preference) I have an almost unused Sirui N1004 which I'll sell at a bargain, but it's a bit heavier (2.9lb). I replaced it with one a flip-lock version, which was not available when I bought the one with collar locks.
PM sent

Last edited by csa; 11-19-2015 at 02:28 PM.
11-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just when I had decided on the Sirui K-10X, you throw another curve at me!

A member previously suggested this for my K3:

Sunwayfoto DPG‑50 Universal Quick Release Plate DPG-50 B&H

The leveling clamp appears to have been discontinued.

These two items look like it might be a good way for me to go.
Just curious, do the Sunway ball heads have a safety button on the clamp to keep the lens and camera from falling off accidentally? I could not tell from the descriptions on amazon.

11-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #68
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good question! I know the Sirui does; so this might change my game plan once again!

Last edited by csa; 11-19-2015 at 09:29 PM.
11-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Good question! I know the Sirui does; so this might change my game plan once again!
Sorry, did not mean to impede your apparent progress!
11-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #70
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not at all; that's something I hadn't thought about, and I really appreciate you bringing it up! It's not impeding, rather helping me with my final decision.
11-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #71
Site Supporter

The clamps will typically have "safety stop areas" that accommodate the plate's stop screws. It's the plate (the part that attaches to the camera) that will - or will not - have the actual stoppers on them. Some of my plates have them, some (generally the less expensive ones) do not.
11-20-2015, 04:36 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a couple of ways the "safety" works on Arca-type plates & clamps. The Sirui has a spring actuated pin, and their smaller clamps have a bevel at each end so you can slide them in, then clamp - to remove, loosen the clamp then press the red button that lowers the pin and slide off. Other manufacturers small plates have a depressed center on the bottom with a rim all the way around (Sirui plates also do, so they fit other clamps). To mount, open the clamp jaws very wide, angle the plate (on bottom of camera or lens) in sideways, (not sliding from the end), tilt down the other edge, then clamp. Big (long) plates usually have a removable screw at each end to prevent accidental slide-out and these must be angled down-in rather than slid in from the end. Some base plates have removable screws on the platform that serve the same purpose as the retractable pin on a Sirui = they fit into the depressed area on the bottom of a plate and hit the surrounding rim if the clamp gets loose thus preventing slip-off. There are some lever-flip Arca-clamps which theoretically are faster, but the plates from different manufacturers are not quite exactly the same width (why on Earth not??) so if you adjust the clamp to lock just right on one plate, then insert a plate from a different manufacturer, it's possible that 1) you won't be able to close the lever clamp; or 2) even when you close the lever, the plate will slide freely fore-aft. Intolerable, so the lever-clamps are only useful if you have all plates from the same manufacturer OR you have only one plate (=on your camera, no lenses with a tripod foot).
11-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #73
Pentaxian

The sunwayfoto head and plates have safety pin screws to stop accidentally drop outs, they are very well made and designed, most of my system is completely based on them. I can tell you, the 44mm ballhead can cope with a 300mm 2.8 and camera, and even a duel camera setup of a K5 with a 50-135 an a K7 with a 16-50, holds both without movement or droop, can be moved by hand with the friction setting set correctly, quite impressive.

Remember, when using a ballhead, make sure you also use a rail, known as a macro rail, to balance your camera /lens combo.
11-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #74
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back to my two choices:

Sirui K-10x Ball Head BSRK10 B&H Photo Video

I think it may be a toss up as to preference???
11-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Back to my two choices:

Sirui K-10x Ball Head BSRK10 B&H Photo Video

I think it may be a toss up as to preference???
Out of those two, they seem pretty much equal...
I wouldn't be able to choose either...