Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Recommendations for twin-zoom camera bag?

I'd like to add a more compact bag to my kit list... Something that will hold my K3 plus grip with the DA 20-40 or 16-85 mounted and the DA 55-300, preferably weather resistant though not essential. Basically, a reduced-kit days-out bag for when I don't want so many lenses with me. My main (bigger) bag is a Kata, and something of similar quality would be nice. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

10-31-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a LowePro 100AW sling bag for two lens walkabouts. My two lenses for walkabout are the DA 12-24/4 and the DA 55-300. I put the lens I am not using in the top compartment and the camera with grip and mounted lens in the main compartment. If the lens that is mounted is the DA 12-24, I can even leave the lens hood in working position. It is possible to put a third lens such as the M 100/4 macro in the same compartment as the camera, but I must be really careful not to drop the extra lens. There is a shallow front pouch on the front that takes the unused lens cap or a Polarizing Filter (77 mm) when I take the DA* 16-50 instead of the DA 12-24. There is a weather wrap cover in the bottom of the bag.
11-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use something similar but I am partial to backpacks (LowePro Pro Runner 200 AW) bought on special price from Adorama. Room for everything you say plus a small computer tablet in a separate front pocket if I want (8 or 9 inches tops). It has a tripod hook in front and a bag cover built into the bottom if needed. I can fit the K-3, Sigma 70-200, 10-20 zooms and one or two small primes.

Also have a small Tamrac messenger bag.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 11-01-2015 at 01:45 AM.
11-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

daytime travel will work with the 18-55 and the 55-300, today Im going with that and keeping the tiny 40mm pancake if I want a prime that is my bag for today also. the 55-300 is heavy and the 50-200 is lighter weight if that is an issue.

11-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My standard day kit is a LowePro Event Messenger 150 with Sigma 17-50 f2.8, DA 55-300 WR and FA 35mm. The bag has enough room to mount any of these lenses with hood, in shooting position and the other two in separate compartments. There's another compartment for ancillaries; spare battery, filters, etc. There's a spot for a tablet but I don't own one. The bag is not WR, but I've been out in really ugly rain and snow, and it's kept everything dry.
11-03-2015, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just posted a deal in the Price Watch forum, but it's waiting on approval there. It's through Ben's Bargains and I can't get the price to duplicate directly on Adorama's site so I think it's an affiliate deal through the Ben's Bargains link. if the post is approved, check it out. It's for the LowePro Nova Sport 35L bag for only $15 (however, it's for the Pepper Red version.... kinda bright!)

Here's the thread in the Price Watch section:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/307212-15-lowepro-n...ulder-bag.html
11-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VampyreGTX Quote
I just posted a deal in the Price Watch forum, but it's waiting on approval there. It's through Ben's Bargains and I can't get the price to duplicate directly on Adorama's site so I think it's an affiliate deal through the Ben's Bargains link. if the post is approved, check it out. It's for the LowePro Nova Sport 35L bag for only $15 (however, it's for the Pepper Red version.... kinda bright!)

Here's the thread in the Price Watch section:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/307212-15-lowepro-n...ulder-bag.html
Thanks for this Unfortunately it's more expensive here in the UK - nice bag, though!

11-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for this Unfortunately it's more expensive here in the UK - nice bag, though!
That would be about 10 pounds (and 60 pounds shipping).
11-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That would be about 10 pounds (and 60 pounds shipping).
You're not too far off the mark!
11-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're not too far off the mark!
I looked on the BH website and used Google for conversions
11-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am also looking for a small(ish) everyday bag. I have a Tamarac Velocity7 I have had I don't know forever and it is way to small for what I want to carry. I am looking to cary my K3ii with a grip 24-70 2.8 / Sigma 70-200 2.8 and maybe a flash. I know the sigma is big but I would just like to have that reach here and there. I was looking at a Lowepro Slingshot 202AW today that I really liked. I like a sling type in general to be honest.

Wondering if some of you folks that mentions bags above could post a photo of two of your gear in the said bags to give us an idea of how full or not full they are.

Love my Tamarac but the K3ii with the grip leave pretty much no room for extra lens of flash.

Thanks in advance
11-21-2015, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Wondering if some of you folks that mentions bags above could post a photo of two of your gear in the said bags to give us an idea of how full or not full they are.
This is a good idea

My current shoulder bag (for carrying everything I *might* possibly need, but rarely use more than a couple of bits!) is a Kata Lite 445 DL (which I got very cheaply when Kata was bought out by Manfrotto, and one of the UK dealers started selling off their Kata stock at silly prices ). In standard configuration it has six lens-sized pockets, one of which is used to house the lens that is attached to the camera. I use one of the lens pockets to hold my "junk" - spare batteries, charger, USB cable, cleaning cloth, small dust blower, shutter remote etc.. The four corner lens pockets hold anywhere from four to eight lenses, usually primes. I usually have the DA20-40 on the camera (or, recently, the DA16-85), and have the battery grip on the camera too, with my strap screwed into the base (not shown in the photos), and coiled up next to the camera. This fits into the bag with the lens facing down into the pocket. Resting next to the camera I have the DA55-300 in its pouch, or my flash in its pouch (though that's a bit of a squeeze!). In the front pockets of the bag I have a CPL, variable ND and gradient ND filters, and some step up rings. Memory cards go in the little internal pockets, along with some Boots alcohol lens wipes and another cleaning cloth in case I drop my main one. There's another decent sized pocket on the back of the bag that I use to store a grey card, notebook and pen and the Pentax sensor cleaning stick / papers.

This is way more stuff - *way* more - than I ever need with me, and what I'm looking for would only need to hold the camera + grip with the 20-40 or 16-85 attached, the DA55-300, some filters and a cloth...
Attached Images

11-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Used on of these on a recent trip to Bali with my K5ii,16-85 and 55-300.It's probably not padded enough to absorb the shock of a fall but it was quite comfortable and could be swung round for access and had a small front pocket for mobile phone,memory cards spare batteries etc.

PATAGONIA Atom Sling Daypack | Millet Sports