Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tripod Collar

I am considering purchasing a Pentax DA star 200mm f2.8 lens. This lens does not come with a tripod collar. Is there a Pentax or third party tripod collar I could attach to this lens?

Also, a question about an old rule of thumb: the minimum shutter speed for a hand held telephoto lens should be the inverse of the lens focal length. For a 200mm lens, one should use at least 1/200 as the shutter speed to avoid blur. However, if you are using such a lens on an APSC camera the effective focal length (35mm equivalent) is 300mm. Therefore, should the minimum hand held shutter speed be 1/300?

Thanks for your input.

11-01-2015, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobKG Quote
Therefore, should the minimum hand held shutter speed be 1/300?
As far as using this (very) approximate rule of thumb goes: right. And if you are cropping the pic further later you should allow for that too. However, au contraire, this does not consider factors like subject distance or the beneficial effects of shake reduction, and there are quite a few u-tube videos discussing hand-holding technique for slow shutter speeds (one good trick is the three shots principle: use burst mode and fire 3 shots, middle one tends to be the sharpest).
11-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It appears that certain tripod collars made for Canon can be used / be adapted to be used for the DA* 200. If you Google Pentax+DA*+200+tripod+collar, you will get a hit like this one: Tripod mount ring for FA* and DA* 200/2.8: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. I haven't tried this solution myself yet - but I am going to do so one day!

Regaring hand held shooting with the DA* 200: Don't under-estimate the efficiency of shake reduction, as also indicated by marcusBMG above. Much depends upon the camera's SR capability and whether you have a steady hand or not. For my own part (K-3 plus a reasonably steady hand) shooting handheld at 1/160s and even down to 1/100s with this lens is usually entirely feasible.
11-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
If you Google Pentax+DA*+200+tripod+collar, you will get a hit like this one:
There are numerous aftermarket collars made to fit (mostly) Canon and (some) Nikon lenses. I have several lenses that would benefit from a collar, but the specifications for those collars typically do not include inside diameter.

It would be nice if there were a thread where details of what works and doesn't work and why could be documented.

Steve

11-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own one and it is smaller than you may realize. It really doesn't need a tripod collar. Mounting the camera by its own tripod socket works just fine.

Shake reduction also works wonders. If you assume 1/300 is needed without shake reduction, a mere 2 stops = 1/75, 3 stops is 1/38, so with 3.5 claimed stops (k3) I rarely worry about it as long as I am over 1/30th.
11-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there's also the Manfrotto 293 option - a little ungainly, but don't have to worry about the size/diameter of the lens...
11-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It would be nice if there were a thread where details of what works and doesn't work and why could be documented.
I VERY much agree!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I own one and it is smaller than you may realize. It really doesn't need a tripod collar. Mounting the camera by its own tripod socket works just fine.
I own one too, and while I agree that ergonomics and weight are just excellent for hand-held shooting, I find the camera-lens combo very 'nose-heavy' when you must use a tripod (for me, for example, in astrophotograhy). Precise aiming can be difficult and in that case I would prefer the better balance that a tripod collar would provide.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Shake reduction also works wonders. If you assume 1/300 is needed without shake reduction, a mere 2 stops = 1/75, 3 stops is 1/38, so with 3.5 claimed stops (k3) I rarely worry about it as long as I am over 1/30th.
If you crop your images rather tightly (astrophotography again, insects...) 1/30th second is rather long, at least with the steadyness of my hands. But yes, I also often go longer than 1/100th of a second. Just one example. First a full K-3 frame downsized to 800 px. in width and then a 100pct. non-resized crop. Image shot at 1/80s; f/5.6; ISO 400. One may argue about sharpness and DoF, but I should say that there is no motion blur:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-01-2015, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I did a bit here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/238879-mo...ll-lenses.html
11-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I find the camera-lens combo very 'nose-heavy' when you must use a tripod
Yes, therein is the most common consideration. Almost all heads will "sag" with an unbalanced load and short of using some sort of dual rail setup or purchase of a geared head this is clearly an issue with most ball heads, even when shooting level. A lens collar is often the best solution and was a common option for high end vintage zooms in the 70-200 f/4 range back in the day. My specific use case is with the Tamron SP 70-210/3.5 (19AH). Both weight and length are in the same league as the current Tamron 70-210/2.8 and a tripod collar would be nice.

Granted, the DA* 200/2.8 is 16mm shorter and 35gm lighter than my Tamron, but it is still a substantial piece of glass and would benefit from being balanced on tripod for many situations (e.g. landscapes, close-up, etc.).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-01-2015 at 03:47 PM.
11-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, man! You are priceless! This is most helpful.

Steve
11-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since my primary ball head for around the house is a 60mm monster I don't really notice much. I recently shot the moon using the 1.7x and an FA* 300 - no collar on either - and it didn't droop or behave poorly. But in the field with a smaller head I can see the problem could be an issue.
11-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks so much for the advice from all of you.

I checked into the Vello Tripod Collar A for the Cannon 200mm f2.8. The Cannon and the Pentax 200mm f2.8 lenses both have the same listed diameter (3.3"). However, a major difference between them is that the Pentax tapers near where it attaches to the camera. I contacted B&H, whose rep. indicated the Vello collar may work on the Pentax, but if it didn't I could return it within 30 days.
11-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
there's also the Manfrotto 293 option - a little ungainly, but don't have to worry about the size/diameter of the lens...

I have this option for my *200.

For the OP: to obtain the desired I.D. with generic tripod collars, I have attached thin neoprene (derived from various-thickness mouse pads) with satisfactory result.

Good luck.
01-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My Tripod Mount Ring Collar for Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8

I haven't tried this solution myself yet - but I am going to do so one day!
So, I finally pulled myself together and got this one:

I chose the one for the 180mm f/3.5 L to be sure that it would fit over the next innermost section of the DA* 200mm lens barrel with a diameter of 73mm:

The 66mm insert for the 100mm Canon fits - just - over the innermost part of the DA* 200 lens barrel with its 70mm diameter, but the entire assembly collides with the Pentax built-in flash housing.

So, 5mm of space to fill, which i did with 5 layers of synthetic wash leather and epoxy glue:

Maybe I could have found somethig slimmer that would still fit? Also, the free span of the locking screw is pretty small and the fit is quite tight after the modification. But it secures the lens nicely and firmly and overall I am quite happy that I now have a well-balanced setup for tripod-mounted DA* 200 photography - in my case first of all astrophotography, where I have been missing the balance badly at times.

Last edited by Stone G.; 01-21-2016 at 02:34 PM.
02-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can any of you who have used the generic Chinese tripod rings comment on their quality/durability/strength?

This is a very helpful thread. Thanks to all who posted.