Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, it varies with individuals as to what they can comfortably take on a walk. I take my 55-300 lens that covers just about anything I would come across to photograph. I'm 74, and I'm lucky just to be able to take walks, without taking "luggage" with me!

11-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I carry a few different ways. The speed and distance I'm walking, plus the amount of photography I plan to do, decides which one to use.

If I expect to take frequent photos while walking, I repeatedly loop the strap around my right wrist to take up all the slack and carry the camera in my hand. It's ready for instant shooting.

If I'm not walking very fast and want to keep both hands free, I hang the strap under my left arm and around the right side of my neck. This takes up most of the slack so the camera doesn't bounce much. As I walk faster I keep my left hand on the camera to prevent bouncing. I can easily slide my left arm through the strap to get the conventional around the neck position for shooting.

The camera goes in my bag when I want to walk fast and not take many photos. My favorite bag is LowePro Slingshot 100 (a tiny bag yet enough space for a K-5, 55-300, 16-50, and 10-24 or several primes) because it swings to my chest for easy camera retrieval. If more storage space is required then I use a large backpack that must be removed for camera access.

---------- Post added 11-02-15 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Well, it varies with individuals as to what they can comfortably take on a walk. I take my 55-300 lens that covers just about anything I would come across to photograph. I'm 74, and I'm lucky just to be able to take walks, without taking "luggage" with me!
In that case, let me amend my comments. You probably aren't walking extremely fast, so my 2nd option of sliding your left arm through the strap for a diagonal carry is probably best. That assumes you don't have any shoulder issues that make the maneuver uncomfortable.
11-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the Peak Designs clip. I wear it on the left strap of my pack.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 11-02-2015 at 12:31 PM.
11-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
In that case, let me amend my comments. You probably aren't walking extremely fast, so my 2nd option of sliding your left arm through the strap for a diagonal carry is probably best. That assumes you don't have any shoulder issues that make the maneuver uncomfortable.
No shoulder problems, but a fractured vertebrae in my upper back gives me problems. Nope, definitely not walking fast.
I have carried the camera this way, and it's definitely better than just having it swing from around your neck! This might be my best/only option.

11-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes I take a bag but when I don't or I'm on an active shoot (bike race or something like that) I use one of my Black Rapid straps. I have a single and a double. They are great. They aren't cheap but I didn't want to skimp when my camera may be dangling from it over a 1000' cliff at times. Worth it IMO!

I think mine is the mirror image of this one, it goes on my left shoulder so the camera hangs to my right.
11-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Matt, I don't foresee me dangling over a 1,000 ft cliff anytime soon! I don't want to have to get a new strap very happy with my OpTech, and definitely don't have/want to spend a whole lot to secure the camera. I'm thinking something like this; I would always keep the camera strap around my neck, so if this clip broke, the camera would not fall. My walks are on trails, not climbing, etc.

Camera Waist Belt Strap Mount Holder Buckle Hanger Holster for Canon Nikon US | eBay

Or even something like this:

Capture Camera Waist Belt Holster Quick Strap Buckle Hanger for DSLR Digital SLR
11-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will also put in a vote for Peak Design. I have a Slide Lite coming but I have been using their Leash and it does fine for me. If I'm wearing a pack then I usually have the Capture Clip on it and still have the leash over my shoulder as a backup.

11-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
Veteran Member

You can't use this!
It says for Canon and Nikon.

It is definitely not compatible with Pentax!
11-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are probably both good alternatives. But really, whether it is 5' or 1000' you don't want to drop your camera!
I believe OpTech makes something very similar to the BR straps for much less. With my strap the camera sits in about the same spot on my waist as you show with those holsters.
11-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Matt, in all the years I've used OpTech, I've never had one fail, and drop a camera. So unless the OpTech strap fails, how would I drop my camera with one of these?
11-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #26
Pentaxian

How about this from OpTech? OP/TECH USA Stabilizer Strap

http://optechusa.com/skin/frontend/optechusa/default/images/Pilot/StabilizerStrap.jpg
11-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everything I see, secures to the tripod socket. I've read that some are reluctant to continually use this method for some reason. I simply want something to hold the camera in place (55-300 lens) while walking.
I don't have this lens, but I do have a couple of other somewhat large pieces (DA18-250; DA18-135) and whenever they're on the K-5, it's around my neck on a standard strap and the tripod mount hole is free (and I rarely shoot from a tripod anyway). I do have a cross-body strap that screws into the tripod mount point, but I exclusively use this with film bodies and smallish primes; mounting a long, large zoom on it isn't something I'm keen to try, in case it swings against something while I'm chasing my kids in between pieces of playground equipment.

Load issues on the tripod mount meant that I had previously seen fit to limit it to a P30T and more recently an ME, but I tried a Spotmatic with it yesterday and that didn't go too badly. Possibly not for regular use, though. As I figure it, f I drop and break a DSLR from waist height, the SD card is likely to survive, but if I drop a film camera and the back pops open, all is lost.
11-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #28
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do have one, but I also keep their lens hoodies on, and it won't fit over them. I might cut the hole larger & give it a try.
11-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Matt, in all the years I've used OpTech, I've never had one fail, and drop a camera. So unless the OpTech strap fails, how would I drop my camera with one of these?
I'm not saying you will! It's just something I have considered.
11-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'm not saying you will! It's just something I have considered.
Any strap system can fail. I looked at the Black Rapid straps, and it looks like the majority just connect to the tripod socket, rather on both sides of the camera. Very nice looking straps however!

I can't see how I can refuse to buy, when they say:

• Frilly Pattern
  • Specifically for Women
I prefer camouflage, rather than frilly.