Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd rather just have black or grey! Yes, frilly is silly. But I can see how anatomical differences might need to be addressed in the design so the strap sits comfortably.

11-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just wondering why some don't like this.
Usually due the thought and fear of the of the thing coming undone... a second tether of some sort is the way forward to overcome that.
11-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #33
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
But I can see how anatomical differences might need to be addressed in the design so the strap sits comfortably
I do agree Matt; it just struck me funny that assumptions are that women would want "frilly". Women's shoulders are not as wide as men's, so a wide strap for men, would be uncomfortable for women, and the shape of the strap would be important.
11-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Usually due the thought and fear of the of the thing coming undone... a second tether of some sort is the way forward to overcome that.
Yes, I definitely would want a second tether.

11-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a genuine Pentax leather hand strap, myself. It is attached to the tripod socket and also to the top right strap lug. Unless you are using a K3 with the old style come back new strap lugs, it is a real pain to feed the attachment through the slots. With my K3 it goes on and off the way it was probably built to do. I can hang the camera from my wrist with the DA 55-300 and walk all day. I'm a whole year older than you, csa, you young cutie, you. The comfort comes with the wideness of the strap across the back of my hand.
11-03-2015, 03:19 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carol, I just carry in the hand - with the Siggy 150-500 by the tripod mount/handle, with any other lens just by the grip.
I tried a strappy thing that loops from the tripod socket to the neckstrap loop on the right side of the camera. As insurance from dropping the camera it might have worked, but I couldn't make it comfortable for my hand.
If I was walking more than a few kilometres, I would put the OEM strap over one shoulder and under the other arm pit. (Things fall off my shoulders if I try to hang it over one shoulder.)
A lot of this is trial and error and what works for you.

(Just hand holding the camera has a downside in the cold - you can rug up all you like, but the right hand will still be frozen!)
11-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Look at the Op-Tech system. the best I've seen,, I've had it for a year and can't believe I managed without it before that.

11-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #38
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm a whole year older than you, csa, you young cutie, you.
We are vintage, arn't we?

While walking, I like both hands free; rather than holding the camera. That's why I've always used a neck strap. It's probably just a matter of preference for us.
11-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #39
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Look at the Op-Tech system. the best I've seen,, I've had it for a year and can't believe I managed without it before that.
I'm considering the Op-Tech system. They are located only 90 miles away, and are the nicest people to talk with. Matter of fact, I was on the phone with them yesterday, discussing what I wanted. Their products are made right here in Montana.
11-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I would put the OEM strap over one shoulder and under the other arm pit. (Things fall off my shoulders if I try to hang it over one shoulder.)
This is how I always carry my camera; as things also fall off, if I put it over one shoulder.
11-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't beat these two people for convenience though, and makes out stand out as a VERY dedicated photog:

http://blog.americanpeyote.com/wp-content/uploads/zoom_h4-300x199.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2551/3762213444_fbaebea417.jpg

11-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #42
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I don't quite understand the coils around their neck; doesn't look very convenient to me.
11-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #43

I scratched the the LCD screen of my new camera on day 2 of owning it... That was a hard one to take. Swinging back and forth over one of the buttons of my jeans. X(
11-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #44
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fernandezinmecca Quote
I scratched the the LCD screen of my new camera on day 2 of owning it... That was a hard one to take. Swinging back and forth over one of the buttons of my jeans. X(
That's why I install these on any camera I buy, before using the camera.

ACMAXX 3 2" Hard LCD Screen Armor Protector Pentax K3 K 3 K3D D DSLR Body Kit | eBay

A little late for your LCD screen; but here's another idea to keep from scratching the camera/LCD:

http://optechusa.com/soft-pouch-digital-d-series.html

Last edited by csa; 11-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.
11-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For general carry I like to use a wrist strap and a back pack, never liked straps around my neck. But this last year I injured my knee and concerned about stability while hiking on uneven ground. So I got a Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 20 V2.0 to keep the camera & lens in so it leaves my hands free with the use of walking stick in one hand and tripod in other.