Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #46
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
How do you carry the Think Tank, leaving your hands free?

11-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the Black Rapid Yeti or Cross Shot (depending on how many cameras I am carrying) and just keep one hand over the camera as I walk. Mounting the strap to the tripod mount on the camera body or the tripod mount on the lens changes the balance. The camera is more likely to swing with the strap mounted to the camera body and less likely when mounted to the lens. I can rest the 300* with the lens facing behind me and it doesn't really swing at all when walking. On smaller lenses, swing isn't nearly as bad. With the DA40, there's almost no issue with the camera swinging around.

Yeti
BlackRapid YETI Dual Camera Harness RS2DC-1AL B&H Photo Video
Cross Shot
BlackRapid 63" Cross-Shot Sling Camera Strap RS16SC1O-BL
11-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #48
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
The camera is more likely to swing with the strap mounted to the camera body and less likely when mounted to the lens.
Without a tripod mount on the lens, how would one mount the strap to the lens?

I'm still seriously considering the OpTech cross strap; mainly because I've used their products for many years, and have been greatly satisfied, and that they are located here in Montana.
11-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What do you use, to keep the camera & lens from moving (swinging), while walking? Everything I see, secures to the tripod socket. I've read that some are reluctant to continually use this method for some reason. I simply want something to hold the camera in place (55-300 lens) while walking.

Let's have the suggestions, the DIY, everything!
I normally carry a single lens equipped camera in a old tarmac holster...it has a set d-rings for a chest strap

another idea is the "strap buddy"....with a longer strap the lens points down either on your chest or hip(when slung across your chest)

and lastly buy a binocular harness...for 20usd it should give you what you want

good luck

11-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I'm still seriously considering the OpTech cross strap; mainly because I've used their products for many years, and have been greatly satisfied, and that they are located here in Montana.
I use the OP/TECH "Lens Loop", which fits over the base of the telephoto. This leaves the tripod sockets available for mounting the gear on a tripod or monopod. The Lens Loop is attached to their "Utility Strap - Sling". OP/TECH makes great gear.
11-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use a few of these Black Rapid FastenR loops with my tripod plates so I don't have to swap back and forth. It doesn't allow the camera to be on the strap AND the tripod at the same time but I don't think I would want that anyway.
They would also work with other clip systems like the OpTech, I bet.
11-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you carry the Think Tank, leaving your hands free?
There are two methods. One method is just attach it to your belt. My belt is a regular gun belt, so it could carry the weight easily on the opposite side of my carry weapon. But I use a chest harness that you can get to carry the Think Tank.
11-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #53
Pentaxian

You can't. I just meant that if you have a mount on your lens, use that instead of the camera body mount.

11-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #54
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
You can't. I just meant that if you have a mount on your lens, use that instead of the camera body mount.
Well, actually you can mount a strap to the lens with the OpTech system. I did a little digging & found this:

go to 4:49 on the video to see the Lens Loop System.
11-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Well, actually you can mount a strap to the lens with the OpTech system.
As discussed in my post above.
11-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #56
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
As discussed in my post above.
Dang! My apologies, missed that post. I am going to go with the OpTech Sling Strap, with the Lens Loop system. I actually can use my current OpTech strap if I wish, with the Sling Strap.
11-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Dang! My apologies, missed that post. I am going to go with the OpTech Sling Strap, with the Lens Loop system. I actually can use my current OpTech strap if I wish, with the Sling Strap.
The Sling Strap - Lens Loop combo works great with my FA* 400 f5.6 mounted on my K-3 with grip. You'll be quick on the draw when it comes to a shoot-out. And it won't slip off your shoulder.
11-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #58
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm looking forward to getting it; but am waiting, as it will be a Christmas present to me, from me!