Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera "retainers"

What do you use, to keep the camera & lens from moving (swinging), while walking? Everything I see, secures to the tripod socket. I've read that some are reluctant to continually use this method for some reason. I simply want something to hold the camera in place (55-300 lens) while walking.

Let's have the suggestions, the DIY, everything!

11-02-2015, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

I use my hand...
11-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gee, and I have two of them.
11-02-2015, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is the activity clip for the sun sniper straps & the Peak Design clips im very happy with

11-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What do you use, to keep the camera & lens from moving (swinging), while walking? Everything I see, secures to the tripod socket. I've read that some are reluctant to continually use this method for some reason. I simply want something to hold the camera in place (55-300 lens) while walking.

Let's have the suggestions, the DIY, everything!
I hang the strap (the one that came with cameras) across my chest i.e. over my left shoulder and under my right armpit, and while on longer stretches without shooting I shift the camera over my back rather than next to my right ribcage. This setup swings way less than just letting it hang over only the shoulders. To shoot, I pull the camera quickly up to my eye - this is a little cumbersome compared to when the camera hangs just from one shoulder, but I put up with it in favor of bumping it around rocks and trees.

If you are a giant, just get a bigger strap than the one that came with the camera.
11-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
there is the activity clip for the sun sniper straps & the Peak Design clips im very happy with
+1 for the Sun Sniper sling strap with the activity clip that attaches to your belt or the waist of your pants. It has an elastic strap which is easily manipulated with one hand while not needing to see it also (after a little practice!).

The strap does use the tripod attachment, but just get a Joby Ultraplate for the bottom of your camera. It is thin, Arca-swiss compatible and has an attachment hole for the strap. So you can attach it to a tripod with the strap still attached.

I've been using this setup for almost 4 years with no problems.
11-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
I hang the strap (the one that came with cameras) across my chest i.e. over my left shoulder and under my right armpit, and while on longer stretches without shooting I shift the camera over my back rather than next to my right ribcage. This setup swings way less than just letting it hang over only the shoulders. To shoot, I pull the camera quickly up to my eye - this is a little cumbersome compared to when the camera hangs just from one shoulder, but I put up with it in favor of bumping it around rocks and trees.

If you are a giant, just get a bigger strap than the one that came with the camera.
Turn the camera over when wearing it across your shoulder so the lens will hang down instead of out. This is my preferred method of carrying.

11-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I use my hand...
Same here, but with time that grows dull. I am interested to see the comments as they come in on this thread.

Steve
11-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote

I'm not a giant, but do have an Optech strap on my camera. I cannot hang a camera off of a shoulder as it always slips off. I put the strap around my neck; I can put either arm thru the strap to hang it to one side; but am looking for something to secure the camera.
11-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
Thank you! I'd not heard of the Sun Sniper. The system is interesting; but expensive, simply to replace my OpTech strap that I really love. It still connects to the tripod socket; which I'm sure all the systems do. Just wondering why some don't like this.
11-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
but just get a Joby Ultraplate for the bottom of your camera. It is thin, Arca-swiss compatible and has an attachment hole for the strap. So you can attach it to a tripod with the strap still attached.
Now that is really interesting, would save removing the strap from the tripod hole.
11-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Same here, but with time that grows dull. I am interested to see the comments as they come in on this thread.

Steve
Usually it is my camera bag ready to shoot, and when I take it out I almost never wear the strap and then hold the camera in my hand.
11-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't carry a camera bag with me on walks. Too cumbersome & heavy. I have the camera on a strap around my neck so that it's ready for unexpected shots. Not using a strap, and just holding the camera in my hands is not possible, with my arthritic fingers.
11-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I don't carry a camera bag with me on walks. Too cumbersome & heavy. I have the camera on a strap around my neck so that it's ready for unexpected shots. Not using a strap, and just holding the camera in my hands is not possible, with my arthritic fingers.
Too many lenses I need to take to go without my bag
Sometimes I take a simple toploader with two smallish primes.
11-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak Designs Slide - I wear it as a sling when I'm walking or hiking and my K-50 doesn't seem to swing or bounce against my hip in that manner....