Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still have a bunch of Kodak lens papers. I blow, then use these. I have 1975 lenses in use that I have used these on when necessary, which is not very often. My Giotto blower usually is enough. Only oily stuff on the lens (like fingerprints) needs the solution.

I have been known, in a pinch, to use the news photographer system of spit and my tie. After blowing off the grit, of course.

11-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See reviews here inc mine

Sunpak-Lenspen Lens Cleaner reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
11-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i use them and keep several in my camera closet so i can throw em away when they get too worn or get something oily on them that cannot be removed.
Using a T shirt is extremely dangerous as even a speck of dirt embedded in those fibers will act as an abrasive while you "clean". terrible idea. If i am in the field and a lens gets splashed or sprayed and i don't have a way to safely clean it, it goes back in the bag and I shoot with a different lens, no exceptions.

Beware of all the LensPen knockoffs out there and even buying from reputable sellers, I always different packaging and slightly different looking pens, so I am never sure what is real or fake.
Good idea to use the filter set for cleaning eyepiece and LCD screens on the camera too.

PS- as others mentioned, first blow off the dust or your lenspen will just wipe that around on your glass.
11-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I have an original lens pen. Never use it. I use the soft cloth wipes and lens cleaning spray you find at the camera store.

11-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I have one. I know that front elements are ridiculously strong and scratch resistant, but I still use the little brush to remove dust etc. first before I wipe it with a microfibre cloth.
That is the proper use of the lenspen.

For those curious:

1) use the brush to gently whisk away any 'large' debris.
2) use the round, carbon tip to clean up any smudges.

In that order.

You don't need to use the carbon side unless you have smudges or other forms of speckles/fingerprints.. because that is why they specifically use carbon (pull up grease).

Otherwise, gently use the brush side for dust and the like.

I've been using them for over 5 years now.. never a scratch.

That said if you use the carbon side and rub out sand or grit on the front of you lens (instead of using the brush) you are asking for trouble. Then again, you are asking for trouble doing this if with a lenspen, microfiber cloth, shirt sleeve, etc. So it isn't a lenspen issue specifically.
11-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Love em

Love my lens pens. Typically i do not use the carbon side except for the sensor cleaner which works well. On lens the soft brush is usually all it takes. If you really "finish" the carbon buy another or you can recharge it with black and white news print, the stuff that smudges your fingers when you read it.
11-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just got one for ~$4 from local amazon deals, tried on an old lens and seems to be working.