Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless Remote for K-3II

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been looking at the different wireless remote choices on Amazon. The Pentax Wireless Remote F, JJC RM-E7 wireless remote, and the Foto Tech wireless remote are some that I have seen. Does anyone have any opinions? I would probably be using it for long exposures at night for astrotracing or landscape, for pictures including myself, and for my Pixel Shift Resolution feature on my K-3II. I have a Pentax 16-85 that I use on my K-5IIS, and a Sigma 150-500 OS on my K-3II.

Thank you for any opinions on a remote choice recommendation ahead of time.

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-12-2015 at 10:39 AM.
11-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get the cheap Remote F. Use it in 2-press mode with mirror lockup for your astro and landscape tripod work and you are covered. These units can be made waterproof by using them inside a ziploc bag. The batteries are not changeable so they are throwaways but for the price you will get your money's worth before they die.
11-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might also look at the DSLR remote app for your phone.
11-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand the Pentax remote F is working with infrared? So there are some restrictions in using it.

I use the Pixel TW-282TX (radio trigger). With the official price, it is not so cheap.
But I got it as "B" quality for less than €20, so probably a return, but everything looked as unused and fresh from factory, and the box had not been opened before.

80% of what it can do you may not need with a K-3 (many of the different timer functions).
But wireless radio will work at distances up to 100m, and is much more reliable than IR.

11-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The batteries are not changeable
Actually, the battery is changeable in the Remote F. Three screws in the back. B&H lists the CR1620 as the replacement. The battery is supposed to be good for 30,000 shots.

Cheers,
Lou
11-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got an eBay infrared remote for <$10US and it works fine; replaceable battery. Don't remember the brand.

Also, I had a IR device that I got years ago that fits in an iPhone headphone jack and does IR remoting via an app called L5 Remote; that works too. You might be able to get one of those cheap.

There are also triggers that attach via the corded port, like the Pixel. I have one I used with Panasonics, and it just required a new cord, which I think is the same for Canon. Works remotely, and can be had pretty cheap. Nice thing is that it has a intervalometer and timer built in so you can do bulb timed shots of say 23 seconds.

But the best is really a Trigger Trap dongle and their app, although it doesn't work remotely by itself (you can use it remotely with say two wifi devices, like an iPhone and iPad). You can use sound triggers, variable intervals, GPS intervals, all kinds of stuff.

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 11-14-2015 at 11:16 AM.
11-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use random IR ebay cheapies like this:

Wireless IR Infrared RC 4 Camera Shutter Remote Control for Sony Canon Nikon SS | eBay

Downside is the multiple buttons when only one is needed, and the remote is fairly symmetric so I sometimes point it the wrong way in the dark (it would be easy enough to modify with tape to give a better tactile clue). On the plus side, I've loaned them to friends with other brands I'm out shooting with. They're also cheap, I usually have 2 or 3 stuffed in my camera bag and they wander to various pockets when I'm out so I can usually find one quickly. Not waterproof, but if I drop it in water or lose it in a dark field, I've got another on hand.

I also have a spare rf-602 Tx/Rx set that can be used as a wireless radio remote via the cable port (it is the same cable as Canon cameras). I prefer the IR version unless the added range is needed (this is sometimes handy for some self portraits).