Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

It sounds like a balance issue and changing heads won't fix that. You need a lens collar, or an extended plate so you can shift the camera further back on the ball head.

11-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It sounds like a balance issue and changing heads won't fix that. You need a lens collar, or an extended plate so you can shift the camera further back on the ball head.
I think you're right about the balance issue. I had previously searched online for something like the extension plate you mention, but couldn't find anything (maybe I used the wrong description in my search). I guess I could have something made. I can't use lens collars because, on the small number of zooms I have, there's really nowhere a collar would fit...

---------- Post added 11-13-2015 at 03:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
... I found one on Craigslist... for $75.
Wow. That's a deal I'd have jumped on, too. Nice catch I wonder if he's depreciated the Arca Swiss Cube yet?
11-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That's what the Manfrotto 293 allows one to do, change the lens to camera balance ratio by utilizing different attachment points. Utilizing an Acratech style head and plate one could fine tune the balance further.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 11-13-2015 at 09:04 PM.
11-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
That's what the Manfrotto 293 allows one to do, change the lens to camera balance ratio by utilizing different attachment points. Utilizing an Architect style head and plate one could fine tune the balance further.
Aha! Just looked this up after I read your post.... this looks excellent! Might be a stretch to use it with my Q7 plus K teles, but for the K5 & K3 it looks perfect. Thanks for the heads-up!

11-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a 410 year head and find that heavy loads can make it wiggle slightly. Bought it used from a wildlife photographer from Alaska. So it is a bit worn. Have you considered a gimbal type? I now use the Kenko KDS II which was modified to use arca clamp or the native vixen (telescope) clamp. It has quasi-gimbal design with gears that move similar to the 410. I have a review in the Accessories database. The moon pic is with a 6 lb. Telescope. Just a thought....
11-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
I have a 410 year head and find that heavy loads can make it wiggle slightly. Bought it used from a wildlife photographer from Alaska. So it is a bit worn. Have you considered a gimbal type? I now use the Kenko KDS II which was modified to use arca clamp or the native vixen (telescope) clamp. It has quasi-gimbal design with gears that move similar to the 410. I have a review in the Accessories database. The moon pic is with a 6 lb. Telescope. Just a thought....
That Kenko KDS II is a monster It looks nice, but probably overkill for what I want or need (but thanks - I appreciate the heads-up). If I can get the camera back from the fulcrum point of the mount, I should be ok, I think... possibly even with the existing Giottos MH7001 head I already have... I'm thinking I may get a thick steel plate made for this purpose, as I can't find anyone actually selling such a thing
11-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That Kenko KDS II is a monster It looks nice, but probably overkill for what I want or need (but thanks - I appreciate the heads-up). If I can get the camera back from the fulcrum point of the mount, I should be ok, I think... possibly even with the existing Giottos MH7001 head I already have... I'm thinking I may get a thick steel plate made for this purpose, as I can't find anyone actually selling such a thing
The Kenko is actually not too heavy, just a little awkward to carry. It is not as big as a Wimberley nor can it carry as much load. accessoryreviews/kenko-kds-mount-ii

But, I am reminded that I before that, I had used a Vixen/Berlebach clamp screwed to the RC4 manfrotto plate and used a manfrotto video plate into the vixen clamp. I could then use it to balance a heavy scope on either the manfrotto 410 gear head or the 498 ball head. Annoying and heavy to carry but it was balanced fairly well. I was using a 5 pound telescope at the time and was OK to work with until I found lighter gear to adapt.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 11-18-2015 at 10:56 PM.