Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Vintage Tiffen Filters

Was at an estate sale recently and I located a set of old Tiffen filters that have a trio of red filters that get progressively darker, and a trio of blue filters that get progressively darker.

The serial number or label of them is

for the Blue ones
-SF-49M B-3, B-6, B-9

for the Red ones
-SF-49M R-3, R-6, R-12

Anybody have a clue what they are or what they do. They are in near mint condition with the original Tiffen case too. And are 49mm threads.
Thanks!

11-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely color correction filters for film. Filter Page

Not much use on digital but they were used to change the "white balance" on film to match the ambient light color or to use daylight film with tungsten light or the reverse.
11-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ohh neat. I was doing some playing around on one of the 50's and i found it to do some soft focus stuff. I think the SF stands for soft focus after some testing on my sleeping dog lol.
11-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Ohh neat. I was doing some playing around on one of the 50's and i found it to do some soft focus stuff. I think the SF stands for soft focus
Could be, there were a lot of special effects filters used back before Photoshop. Soft focus, mist, diffusion, glamour, fog, star points. You can get them quite cheaply these days as most anything achieved with the filter is now done in Photoshop.

11-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Was at an estate sale recently and I located a set of old Tiffen filters that have a trio of red filters that get progressively darker, and a trio of blue filters that get progressively darker.

The serial number or label of them is

for the Blue ones
-SF-49M B-3, B-6, B-9

for the Red ones
-SF-49M R-3, R-6, R-12

Anybody have a clue what they are or what they do. They are in near mint condition with the original Tiffen case too. And are 49mm threads.
Thanks!
I do not know what the blue filter is used for. The red is used exclusively for Black & White Film. I have a Hoya 25a Red Filter, 52mm I use for that purpose and it really enhances the pics. Hope this helps. Tonytee
11-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Red filters, and other "warm" filters (yellow, orange) were primarily used to increase contrast in B&W. Most commonly they were used to darken a blue sky to make white clouds stand out.

Blue filters were primarily used to adjust chrome (slide) daylight-balanced film for use inside using tungsten lighting which is very yellow-red compared to the blue of sunlight. However, they could also be used for special effects on either B&W or color film, for example, producing a cold-blue look to an outdoor snowscape.
11-24-2015, 02:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Red filters, and other "warm" filters (yellow, orange) were primarily used to increase contrast in B&W. Most commonly they were used to darken a blue sky to make white clouds stand out.

Blue filters were primarily used to adjust chrome (slide) daylight-balanced film for use inside using tungsten lighting which is very yellow-red compared to the blue of sunlight. However, they could also be used for special effects on either B&W or color film, for example, producing a cold-blue look to an outdoor snowscape.
Hello Mr. Wpresto,

I have been wanting to ask you if you might be interested in joining: Nikonforums.com. You do not need to have Nikon equipment to join, only to enter some fun contests. I know you are well grounded in this field and I am certain they would be very fortunate to have some one with your skill set. There are a lot of very nice, friendly and helpful folks there.
I hope you will give it some consideration. Adam is the administrator there as well. Perhaps we will see you there. Also I see you are from Massachusetts. I am originally from the Lowell, Lawrence area and have been living in Oregon for just about forty years. Adios.

Regards,

Tonytee

11-24-2015, 03:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tonytee:

I did have one film Nikon (FA) during the film era, purchased to get access to a good quality 500mm lens (500mm f4p - which sadly I eventually sold) and a higher flash synch speed, and I currently own a d7100, purchased to get access to the Tamron 150-600. My loyalty to Pentax is historical - - I purchased my first Pentax SLR before the introduction of either the Nikon F or the Canonflex, but I also like the small & light design of Pentax camera bodies. I might look into Nikonforums, but I can only spend so much time on a computer, and can only keep track of so many threads. Still, there are several thousand good images in my files that I've used here that could be reposted there.

BTW: I'm a Messychewbits immigrant, born & raised on Long Island, NY. Still living there after M & I married in Grad School & I started teaching at Brooklyn College, but after a couple years M was offered a professorship @ UMASS and after some discussion, we moved, I became a househusband and my employment and career were made secondary to hers.

I'll peek into Nikonforums sometime soon, before I forget.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hello Mr. Wpresto,

I have been wanting to ask you if you might be interested in joining: Nikonforums.com. You do not need to have Nikon equipment to join, only to enter some fun contests. I know you are well grounded in this field and I am certain they would be very fortunate to have some one with your skill set. There are a lot of very nice, friendly and helpful folks there.
I hope you will give it some consideration. Adam is the administrator there as well. Perhaps we will see you there. Also I see you are from Massachusetts. I am originally from the Lowell, Lawrence area and have been living in Oregon for just about forty years. Adios.

Regards,

Tonytee
11-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tonytee:

I did have one film Nikon (FA) during the film era, purchased to get access to a good quality 500mm lens (500mm f4p - which sadly I eventually sold) and a higher flash synch speed, and I currently own a d7100, purchased to get access to the Tamron 150-600. My loyalty to Pentax is historical - - I purchased my first Pentax SLR before the introduction of either the Nikon F or the Canonflex, but I also like the small & light design of Pentax camera bodies. I might look into Nikonforums, but I can only spend so much time on a computer, and can only keep track of so many threads. Still, there are several thousand good images in my files that I've used here that could be reposted there.

BTW: I'm a Messychewbits immigrant, born & raised on Long Island, NY. Still living there after M & I married in Grad School & I started teaching at Brooklyn College, but after a couple years M was offered a professorship @ UMASS and after some discussion, we moved, I became a househusband and my employment and career were made secondary to hers.

I'll peek into Nikonforums sometime soon, before I forget.
Hello again,

A D7100 with a Tamron telephoto. Are you happy with this combination? Are you planning on holding on to it? I have seen a lot of wonderful results with Tamron lenses.

Thanks,
Tonytee
11-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hello again,

A D7100 with a Tamron telephoto. Are you happy with this combination? Are you planning on holding on to it? I have seen a lot of wonderful results with Tamron lenses.

Thanks,
Tonytee
So far I've used the Tamron primarily on our trip this year to Iceland, so if you've seen any wildlife from there that I've posted, essentially all of them were taken with the Tammy. Other Icelandic images are all with the K3 and 16-85, 60-250, or Sigma 8-16. I recently got the new 150-450 but haven't had much opportunity to work with it. The Tammy is still 30% longer, which is a significant amount. Some think that adding the 1.4X would provide a decent 600mm, but I'm skeptical. The only really good converters I've had were a 2X Nikon used on a 500 f4p and the 1.4XL and 2XL Pentax units that work well on the 200 f4 SMCA ED Macro and a 400 f4 Tamron. I'd really rather have an all-Pentax system. Maybe after the FF comes out either Tamron or Sigma will make some agreement to provide one of their 150-600 lenses in Pentax mount.

BTW I have looked over and registered on the Nikonforums site which seems to be quite new. Navigating through it is slightly different.
11-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So far I've used the Tamron primarily on our trip this year to Iceland, so if you've seen any wildlife from there that I've posted, essentially all of them were taken with the Tammy. Other Icelandic images are all with the K3 and 16-85, 60-250, or Sigma 8-16. I recently got the new 150-450 but haven't had much opportunity to work with it. The Tammy is still 30% longer, which is a significant amount. Some think that adding the 1.4X would provide a decent 600mm, but I'm skeptical. The only really good converters I've had were a 2X Nikon used on a 500 f4p and the 1.4XL and 2XL Pentax units that work well on the 200 f4 SMCA ED Macro and a 400 f4 Tamron. I'd really rather have an all-Pentax system. Maybe after the FF comes out either Tamron or Sigma will make some agreement to provide one of their 150-600 lenses in Pentax mount.

BTW I have looked over and registered on the Nikonforums site which seems to be quite new. Navigating through it is slightly different.
Well, it wasn't that long ago that Sigma, Tamron, Soligor and Tokina were four letter words in photography. Once again, I am impressed with the results I have seen on this site and others. I have a peculiar sense of betrayal in placing a third party lens on my Pentax and Nikon cameras. Welcome aboard Nikonforums.com. I am confident you will enjoy your experiences there. When you go to upload and post a photo, you will have to scale it down to around 900pxs., otherwise it will not upload. I take that back, sometimes it will, so you will be able to work your way around any issues. I use FastStones for re-sizing and other affects. The FastStones Image Viewer is really user friendly, however the FastStones Photo Re-sizer I do not get along with very well. It is okay for re-sizing a million photos at the same time, but a lot of work is required even for a small batch. I cannot expect too much since it for gratis. Adios.

Tonytee