Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2mm cord fits in those K-50 slots; found some at REI. There is also spearfishing line, which is I think Dyneema or Spectra, types of cord that are very strong and don't stretch, and it comes in sizes down to I think .75mm, which I think is used for fishing line. Hard to tie though, since it's real slippy. But strong. Use a diamond stopper know to tie the 2mm; basically a Carrick bend with the ends fished back through the middle. Make nice zipper pulls for your camera bag as well.

11-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might also look at Op/Tech. They use a common connector for all their products. I currently have a strap with extensions, a harness, and a wrist strap.

I find the wrist strap is particularly convenient. I slip it over my wrist and carry my k-5 lls with just my fingers on the camera grip.
12-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #18

Love my slide, but like you all say it is a bit big but I love it.
My only gripe is the plate is a bit small, any of you know of a better one?
12-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huxley Quote
Love my slide, but like you all say it is a bit big but I love it.
My only gripe is the plate is a bit small, any of you know of a better one?
What plate are you talking about? The one that comes with the Capture Clip? I believe the Capture Pro plate is bigger and works with some Manfrotto heads but I don't know all that much about it.

12-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
What plate are you talking about? The one that comes with the Capture Clip? I believe the Capture Pro plate is bigger and works with some Manfrotto heads but I don't know all that much about it.
The slide plate, arca type but a bit small for my liking I could do with something a bit meatier, feels like they cheaped out on the plate.
12-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I have the original clip and plate and it is a little small. But, they are still constrained on having the plate not only work on Arca heads but also with their clip design. I can't really say I've been left feeling that I wanted something bigger when using it on my K-30 but I'm just a hobbyist at best who doesn't shoot everyday. I have a cheaper Arca ball head but the plate I have seems to work fine. As I mentioned, you might check out the Pro clip as it is a bit bigger.

12-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #22

I use a RRS plate with the Slide, as I don't use the Capture clip. This combination works really well for me.

12-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sideway Quote
I use a RRS plate with the Slide, as I don't use the Capture clip. This combination works really well for me.
Which one? I tried it with my L-plate on the K3, but it didn't want to hang right because of the attachment location.
12-08-2015, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #24

I use their universal plate. I attach my Slide to the left strap lug (when facing the back of the camera) and the right side of the plate. I then put the strap on my left shoulder across my body.
12-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Let us know how you like that slide lite in use. I have it in mind for my K50 with smaller lenses.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 09:30 AM ----------

Ditto to you. Tried to purchase it a couple of months ago, but it wasn't "out" yet. Will look forward to both of your recommendations.

With regard to the clips @Nakedgun, does it appear one could adapt it to a lifejacket? I shoot a lot from my kayak and am looking for a less bulky way to secure my camera to my chest than the Cotton Carrier holster I currently use.
Got the longer one and it makes the Slide perfect. I clip it on the Sigma 500 strap mount and a clip attached to the arca swiss rail. I can carry it with tripod attached or not. The original was just a bit too short, especially if i had a coat on.

I have clips on all my bodies and long lenses, and find the system very flexible. I carry heavy gear and it has been reliable. No need to detach straps in the field. Every year or so i order fresh clips.

The cotton carrier system is very nice as well. My lens is too long but for a 300 f4 or the 150-450 it would work fine.
12-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Got the longer one and it makes the Slide perfect. I clip it on the Sigma 500 strap mount and a clip attached to the arca swiss rail. I can carry it with tripod attached or not. The original was just a bit too short, especially if i had a coat on.
Sounds like the extra 3 inches on the Slide Lite is working for you, as well as the narrower width. I'm glad to hear it can support the kind of weight you're talking about. (Website says up to 200lbs each anchor!)

I'm especially interested in this tripod attached setup. Any chance you could post a pic?

I recently went out with the Sig 150-500 handheld and jury-rigged a regular pentax neck strap (all I had on me) to the metal crosspost of the tripod ring via the little keyring from the Cotton Carrier. I hung it around my neck when I needed a rest from holding by the gripstrap. It convinced me I could easily enjoy that setup with a proper sling while taking handheld bird shots.
12-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #27
Forum Member

Would the Slide Lite work for a K-3 and a Pentax HD 55-300 mm lens? That's about the biggest I forsee getting for a while. I wasn't sure if it'd be comfortable enough. I'm about 5'6'' 150 lbs if size would matter.

Would the leash work for this setup? Any advantage to it if so? Thanks!
12-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
Would the Slide Lite work for a K-3 and a Pentax HD 55-300 mm lens?/
@derekkite is using it with the Sigma 500, considerably more weight than the 55-300, so you should be just fine. As mentioned above, they're designed to hold over 200 pounds.

QuoteQuote:
Would the leash work for this setup? Any advantage to it if so? Thanks!
It will "work", but it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The leash was their first product meant to improve on standard neck straps. Then they came out with the slide(s). The leash is minimalist (lacking the quick-adjusts) and is smaller, lighter, longer, etc. and less comfortable, due to its narrow width.

You can check out the comparison on their website here: https://www.peakdesign.com/compare?t=straps
12-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I don't think mine is the light. I bought the original slide and they came out with a longer one.

The leash is great but with a heavy lens uncomfortable.

The weak point if there is any is the clip cord, but they have been reliable for me. The slide light is a bit narrower than the regular slide.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them with the 55-300. The wider the strap the more comfortable in exchange for bulk and flexibility.
12-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently use a Leash but, as mentioned previously, I'm awaiting the Slide Lite. I like the leash in the fact that it's minimal and simply. I don't find it uncomfortable at all with my K-30 and 55-300. But you have to consider that much of this is personal preference and also dependent an a person's physical traits as well. Really, the only reason I got the Slide Lite is I would at times like the ability to quickly adjust the strap length which the Leash cannot. I am about 6' and have the aging frame of a slightly overweight, former high school linebacker it that paints any sort of a helpful picture on why it might work for me but may not be the most comfortable or accommodating length for others.