Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Peak Design Slide and Clutch

If you're like me and hate a heavy camera hanging off your neck, you'll love the "Slide" by Peak Design. I just wrote a review of it here on the Forums:

Peak Design Slide Review

I'm also using their hand strap the "Clutch" and enjoying it very much. Here's my review:

Peak Design Clutch Review

Last edited by Kath; 11-16-2015 at 07:37 PM.
11-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I absolutely love my Slide, either short around my neck or long as a sling...
11-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I absolutely love my Slide, either short around my neck or long as a sling...
It's ingenius, isn't it?
11-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
If you're like me and hate a camera hanging off your neck, you'll love the "Slide" by Peak Design. I just wrote a review of it here on the Forums:

Peak Design Slide Review

I'm also using their hand strap the "Clutch" and enjoying it very much. Here's my review:

Peak Design Clutch Review

Not trying to be a nuisance but I have experienced a faulty "clip" on a Slide back in 2014: the clip quit and I almost drop the camera/lens ... lucky for me I caught it just before it hit the ground.
A very small percentage of those "clips" have been reported to be faulty and Peak Design worked at a solution "quickly".
Here are a couple of links related to the matter:

Peak Design Strap Failures Causing Dropped Cameras for Some Photographers

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/slide-and-clutch-versatile-.../posts/1020294 .... scroll down a bit to "WE HAVE A SOLUTION TO THE SPRING ISSUE"

11-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@jpzk - Thanks for the links. It looks like they got right on that fix in 2014. I don't know if this was the impetus behind their new designs of both products (I noticed some cosmetic changes, at least), but folks who buy on Amazon should watch for the indicator "There is a newer model of this item" if they are purchasing/browsing there. The newer Slide is SL-2 and the Clutch is CL-2. If you buy directly from Peak Design you get the 2 model.
11-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jpzk - Thanks for the links. It looks like they got right on that fix in 2014. I don't know if this was the impetus behind their new designs of both products (I noticed some cosmetic changes, at least), but folks who buy on Amazon should watch for the indicator "There is a newer model of this item" if they are purchasing/browsing there. The newer Slide is SL-2 and the Clutch is CL-2. If you buy directly from Peak Design you get the 2 model.
Good thing they revised the design.
As for me, I got something else and quite happy with it.
The Peak Design is now stuffed away in a drawer .... might order the new "clips", supposedly free of charge if I can find my invoice !!
11-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yea I had the faulty clip too. Luckily I wasn't using the slide too much before they found and fixed the problem. I think Slide is too heavy duty for Pentax cameras without the grip; I wish I could trade it in for the lite version.

I much prefer using the leash overall. Because I can easily shorten it and wrap around my hand to serve as hand strap instead of having two different things. Also the silicon grip on the slide comes off pretty easily.

11-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the slide, though it was "a bit" too short for certain uses in which I employ it, and wrote to Peak about it in July of this year.
Recently, they introduced a slightly longer slide strap, which I bought for my purposes.

I use their clips, too.
11-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a slide lite coming as I also thought the regular slide was just a bit big for what I needed. I've actually been using their Leash with my K-30 for a couple years now and it has worked well. It just doesn't have the adjustability which is why I ordered the Slide Lite (as part of my order for the EDM bag).
11-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
I have a slide lite coming as I also thought the regular slide was just a bit big for what I needed. I've actually been using their Leash with my K-30 for a couple years now and it has worked well. It just doesn't have the adjustability which is why I ordered the Slide Lite (as part of my order for the EDM bag).
Let us know how you like that slide lite in use. I have it in mind for my K50 with smaller lenses.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
I like the slide, though it was "a bit" too short for certain uses in which I employ it, and wrote to Peak about it in July of this year.
Recently, they introduced a slightly longer slide strap, which I bought for my purposes.

I use their clips, too.
Ditto to you. Tried to purchase it a couple of months ago, but it wasn't "out" yet. Will look forward to both of your recommendations.

With regard to the clips @Nakedgun, does it appear one could adapt it to a lifejacket? I shoot a lot from my kayak and am looking for a less bulky way to secure my camera to my chest than the Cotton Carrier holster I currently use.

Last edited by Kath; 11-19-2015 at 10:32 AM.
11-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Lifejacket might be too lightweight for heavier camera/lens. The weight will make it lopsided. The clip will work with anything that has thin strap to attach it to. (I found out the hard way that a couple of my backpack's shoulder straps are too thick for it.) But you need some weight to counter balance the camera+lens+clip+plate combo. So your K50+18-55 or 18-135 might be okay. K3ii is probably too heavy without counter weight.
11-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Lifejacket might be too lightweight for heavier camera/lens. The weight will make it lopsided. The clip will work with anything that has thin strap to attach it to. (I found out the hard way that a couple of my backpack's shoulder straps are too thick for it.) But you need some weight to counter balance the camera+lens+clip+plate combo. So your K50+18-55 or 18-135 might be okay. K3ii is probably too heavy without counter weight.
Thanks, @ruggiex. I thought that might be true from looking at the clip pictures.

What I've done is adapted the Cotton Carrier holster, jerry-rigging it to my life jacket. It actually works well for exactly what you're talking about (keeping it secure and not twisting about). But I'm always looking for ways to not look like the Power Ranger, all bogged down with gear, when I go out shooting. Then there's the sinking factor should one go overboard.

11-19-2015, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let us know how you like that slide lite in use. I have it in mind for my K50 with smaller lenses.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 09:30 AM ----------

With regard to the clips @Nakedgun, does it appear one could adapt it to a lifejacket? I shoot a lot from my kayak and am looking for a less bulky way to secure my camera to my chest than the Cotton Carrier holster I currently use.

Depends on the garment, I suppose. My neoprene jet-skiing vest had only (2) horizontal straps around the waist so the camera would mount too low for me, I think. With straps running over the shoulder I'd think it quite do-able.
11-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got a Joby hand strap and plate that's sorta similar, except it doesn't have the quick attachment points, which are quite nice. It too uses a quick release plate, but it has a bigger one with two threaded ¼-20 holes, which means I can attach my Joby Ultrafit as well.

But I too am a bit frustrated by the attachment points on the camera. I would like to find some Arca plates with ¼" holes, but so far the Ultraplate is the only plate only, although Desmond makes a nice L bracket with such a hole. Anyone know of others?

And are there any rings or other hardware that could attach to the eyelets on the top of the camera? My other cameras have come with triangular rings, like the K-3s, and I'd like to retrofit my other cameras with something like that. Those webbing eyelets are a pain for attaching stuff.
11-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I've got a Joby hand strap and plate that's sorta similar, except it doesn't have the quick attachment points, which are quite nice. It too uses a quick release plate, but it has a bigger one with two threaded ¼-20 holes, which means I can attach my Joby Ultrafit as well.

But I too am a bit frustrated by the attachment points on the camera. I would like to find some Arca plates with ¼" holes, but so far the Ultraplate is the only plate only, although Desmond makes a nice L bracket with such a hole. Anyone know of others?

And are there any rings or other hardware that could attach to the eyelets on the top of the camera? My other cameras have come with triangular rings, like the K-3s, and I'd like to retrofit my other cameras with something like that. Those webbing eyelets are a pain for attaching stuff.
I originally bought a Cotton Carrier belt system and it came with a heavy-duty ring that attaches to the web eyelet on my K50. It's used as an attachment point for the safety leash that comes with that system. It's not as fancy as the triangular rings, but it does double duty for me: I use it to attach camera straps. If someone knows of a source for those K3 triangles, perhaps they could post it here.