Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Bellows/slide copier compatibility

Hi all;

I've got the Pentax M42 Auto Bellows. Is the attachment of a Pentax slide copier consistent across the M42/M/A Auto bellows units, or are the copiers dedicated to the particular series bellows employed? Can you mix and match?

11-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both an M42 and an auto bellows, plus one slide dupe attachment (can't remember which unit it came with). Pretty sure it will fit either as I think the base rail is identical. It would take me a while to check for sure as the M42 bellows is semi-permanently mounted on an old microscope base, and I'm scheduled to go out soon, and will be out from early AM tomorrow. If you don't get a definitive answer by tomorrow evening, I'll probably have time then to try the copier on both bellows.
11-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks!
11-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

I have the Auto Bellow (M42) and the Auto Bellows A with slide copier. The threads on the "A" slide copier seem slightly off when I tried to attach it to the M42 bellows. I didn't want to strip the threads so I didn't force it. Otherwise they look very similar if not identical other than the badge. I don't have the copier for the M42 bellows.

11-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe another question is why do you want to Use this combo? Many ways to copy slides, I'm not convinced that's the best choice from what I have read.
11-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Since I've already got the bellows, I thought the slide copier might be handy to have. If an opportunity comes along where a copier becomes available, it's good to know it probably doesn't have to be the matching M42 version. I've seen other methods for copying slides and negs online; thought I'd play with what I've got (which includes a Panagor Zoom Slide Duplicator).
11-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bear in mind that the 50mm macro it was intended for is no longer at the right distance - the original use was on full frame, the crop factor means you have to adjust the setup.

11-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thagomizer: Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday but M and I were really tired after the agility meet and answering your question went completely out of my head. YES, the slide copier fits both the older thread-mount auto bellows and the newer K-mount version. If you go back to the thread-mount bellows that has only a front movable standard, rather than front (lens) back (camera body) plus a base rack & pinion for moving the entire camera+bellows+lens, then the slide copier will not fit as the mounting mechanism is different. I have a slide copy attachment for the auto & K-mount bellows if determined to go that route. If you're interested send me a PM with some indication of the price-point you're looking for, as I never use the device (I use a flat-bed scanner or send batches out to Scan Cafe).
11-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the detailed info! Good to know. I had thought as much but I wasn't sure. I'm not in the market to get a slide copier at the moment (still paying for my newly purchased K-S2): the question is more for future reference.
12-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lucky, lucky me! Yesterday I visited one of my regular haunts, a local used book store which also carries a smattering of photographica along with used and antique camera equipment. What should be sitting in the camera display cabinet but an Asahi Pentax slide copier attachment! It had just gone on display that very day priced at $20.00. Everything in the store was 20% off for Boxing Day and I'd been given a gift certificate for the store, so I ended up paying $2.50 for it. Lucky, lucky me!
01-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

COOL! Sometimes good things happen to deserving people.