Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

2x rear converter for k3

Has anyone tried any of the older vivitar or albinar 2x converters? I'm sure quality won't be great but just wondering

12-06-2015, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jnast78 Quote
I'm sure quality won't be great but just wondering
I think you already answered your own question...............

You also lose two stops of light from the best the lens mounted can provide and you lose all automation. Which means those old TCs will not work unless your lens has an aperture ring. There are a few newer ones that have contacts but no AF ones that I am aware of. A better choice if you really need a TC is the Pentax 1.7x auto-focus adapter which can be had reasonably though it has its limitations as well, or the new HD 1.4x RC which works well on a wide range of lenses.
12-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you already answered your own question...............

You also lose two stops of light from the best the lens mounted can provide and you lose all automation. Which means those old TCs will not work unless your lens has an aperture ring. There are a few newer ones that have contacts but no AF ones that I am aware of. A better choice if you really need a TC is the Pentax 1.7x auto-focus adapter which can be had reasonably though it has its limitations as well, or the new HD 1.4x RC which works well on a wide range of lenses.
Thank you
12-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

I have a 2x macro converter. The build quality is fantastic, and even though it's got the contact pins, it won't open up more than f 2.0. The optical quality is decent. I'm sure a modern teleconverter would be better but it does a decent job and combined with an m 100mm macro it takes some nice macros.

12-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
I have a 2x macro converter. The build quality is fantastic, and even though it's got the contact pins, it won't open up more than f 2.0. The optical quality is decent. I'm sure a modern teleconverter would be better but it does a decent job and combined with an m 100mm macro it takes some nice macros.
Thanks for the info ..they are under 30 on ebay I'll give it a shot .just want to get some more reach on the tamron 70-200 2.8 and k3
12-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jnast78 Quote
Thanks for the info ..they are under 30 on ebay I'll give it a shot .just want to get some more reach on the tamron 70-200 2.8 and k3
If they're that cheap, get one. I can't guarantee you'll be impressed with the quality but mine suits my needs as I don't have a complete need for ultimate sharpness. It's much better than an old Vivitar plastic 1.4x which I used as an extension tube with the A contacts after removing the glass. The cheapo (3 or 4 elements) one made everything glow like crazy (spherical aberration?) and also made everything super soft. The macro converter is all metal and beautifully smooth to operate. It will in the least hold its value because of the macro feature and you can resell it for little to no loss if it doesn't suit your needs.
12-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 2x macro converter.
The macro converter is all metal and beautifully smooth to operate
Just FYI, but I do not think you and the OP are talking about the same thing. The 2x macro converters are a special form of tele-converter that include a helicoid allowing 'macro' focusing distances. The OP just said 2x converter, so they might be looking at the old cheap 2x converters which IMHO are not worth the $30. The macro converters are better made and even though the IQ will suffer they still have a use. I have two of them, one with the glass removed to make a variable extension tube.

12-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just FYI, but I do not think you and the OP are talking about the same thing. The 2x macro converters are a special form of tele-converter that include a helicoid allowing 'macro' focusing distances. The OP just said 2x converter, so they might be looking at the old cheap 2x converters which IMHO are not worth the $30. The macro converters are better made and even though the IQ will suffer they still have a use. I have two of them, one with the glass removed to make a variable extension tube.
I know what the OP is talking about, and was assuming the OP and I are on the same page. The 2x Macro converter is a regular MC7 teleconverter that has a macro feature as you said. I was conveying my experience with the teleconverter since he was specifically asking about old Vivitar teleconverters, which this is (just with an extra feature). I got my macro converter attached to a Super Program for about 30$, so YMMV.

So after Ebaying, it does seem as if the OP might not be on the same page as me, BUT you can find MC7 teleconverters for around 30$ without A contacts. If you're going to spend that little money on a TC, that's the one I'd go for.

Last edited by Dipsoid; 12-08-2015 at 10:34 AM.
12-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you can find MC7 teleconverters for around 30$ without A contacts. If you're going to spend that little money on a TC, that's the one I'd go for.
True and good advice. Except we know nothing about the gear the OP has. Which means if he / she picks up the TC without the A contacts and all they have are modern lenses with no aperture ring and they don't know anything about using old lenses on Pentax then they will be confused. I was just trying to make sure the OP really knew what he was getting.

I have seen far too many posts on this forum by newbies who see a great deal on something old and expect it to just snap on the camera and work. For all we know the OP is looking at Albinar M42 TC's which are common as house flies and cheap as chips. And essentially worthless unless you know how to use M42 glass.