Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #16

I guess on some occasions the bag feels too small and other times too big, depending on what you're planning to put in it.

Currently I have a DA 35mm Limited, DA 15mm Limited, DA 50mm, rocket blower, a Nikon SB-600 flash, and FlashQ trigger+receiver in the main compartment and all dividers folded to half height for the K-3 with a lens attached sitting on top. Not much in the front compartment except some AA batteries, small Advil bottle, Pentax remote, business card holder, microfibre cloth, and earbud headphones. In the pocket attached to the tripod loop I have the Slide and Clutch straps, the pocket is well padded and adds a bit of top compression when the camera is inside. On one of the exterior side pockets I have a small umbrella, which is about as big an object I can fit into the pocket. In the laptop compartment I just have a 5x7 notebook and some pens. I'm able to close the bag at the second from the bottom latch. The pouch is pretty bulky as you said and I don't know if I'd ever include it inside the bag.

With just photo gear I'm fine with the size, I don't have many big lenses. But for everyday use I'd need to remove a few things to fit in something like a water bottle and make room for lunch.

Attached Images

03-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a bit late in discovering this thread. I've been looking at this bag for a while now, wondering if it would be a good choice for me. I have Peak Design's Slide strap which I love.

Right now I'm using a Thinktank Retrospective 5 (would have preferred the 7, but that didn't exist yet when I got my 5), and I will continue doing so when taking very little gear with me. I do have the LowePro Classified Sling 180 AW for a slightly larger kit, but however much I like this bag for being very discreet, for some kits (e.g. gripped camera) its design is too rigid... The Everyday Messenger looks nice for a bit more room and flexibility, without having to resort to my largest (=huge!) bag, the Manfrotto Pro-Light 3N1-35.

So... the Everyday Messenger. I like the looks for starters (subjective I know).

A few Questions though:
- How is the top zipper for quick access? This seems practical in close quarters, but I've seen reviewers complain that the opening is too narrow and too rigid. How about for a K-3(II) with a limited lens mounted? Or with a slightly larger lens such as a Samyang 16/2?
- What about a gripped K-3?
- The side pockets that are advertised as designed for a smart phone (but these stick out as I've seen in reviews) seem ideal to put the lens cap of the lens mounted on the camera (I use the similar pockets on my Restrospective successfully for that purpose). Would that assumption be correct?
- One typical kit I would use this bag for (that doesn't fit in my other smallish bags): K-3II + FA31, FA43, FA77 (in their pouches on top layer, one on camera) + Samyang 16/2, 24/1.4 or 24/3.5 T/S, 135/2 in the bottom layer. Am I right in believing that would fit?
- The tripod sleeve looks good, but my tripods are too large and heavy I think. It might also fit a compact monopod I guess, which would be my use case. Would there be any way (or need) to secure this from sliding out?

Hoping this post doesn't go unnoticed

Tx in advance for any feedback!!!

Wim
03-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Among the list of way too many bags that I own, I have both the Retrospective 7 and the 20 (when I'm carrying the 70-210 attached - which I've never tried to fit in the Peak bag). I have had the Peak Design bag for a couple of months now and I really like it. I'm not a real big fan of Velcro to keep my bag close, and it's the one thing that I have never really warmed to with the Think Tank bags. I also like that the bag basically changes size depending on how much stuff I throw in it.

- The top zipper - Very handy for accessing the bag without opening the latch to access smaller items. My K3 with grip was a bear to get out this way (in fairness I only tried to do that once on a subway) I finally just opened the latch. Might be useful for accessing a Q system camera or a camera without the grip.

- Side pockets - I've never used them. They don't stick out very far on my copy, almost flush. I could stick a lens cap or phone in there, but I keep those in my pants pockets

- I believe that your lens combos should fit just fine. Last week I had a gripped K3 with a Tokina 80-400 attached in the center compartment. A Tokina 28-70, Sigma 8-16, Pentax DA100WR, and a Pentax FA-50

- I usually carry one of my monopods in the tripod sleeve which works great. I once carried my travel tripod, a MeFoto Globetrotter with a Manfrotto ball head in there and it handled it fairly nicely. I wouldn't even attempt to try to stick any of my larger (IE: Manfrotto 3030 or the like) in there, they may work, but I think it would be awkward.

Steve
03-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Tx for your answers Steve! Very useful!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
- The top zipper - Very handy for accessing the bag without opening the latch to access smaller items. My K3 with grip was a bear to get out this way (in fairness I only tried to do that once on a subway) I finally just opened the latch. Might be useful for accessing a Q system camera or a camera without the grip.
Come to think of it, my phone would go in the internal pocket of the main compartment, and would be accessible through the top gap as well.

- Side pockets - I've never used them. They don't stick out very far on my copy, almost flush. I could stick a lens cap or phone in there, but I keep those in my pants pockets
Lens caps often go in pants pockets as well, but not when it's really hot or moist weather. Good to have this option...

- I believe that your lens combos should fit just fine. Last week I had a gripped K3 with a Tokina 80-400 attached in the center compartment. A Tokina 28-70, Sigma 8-16, Pentax DA100WR, and a Pentax FA-50
Sounds good. I might need an extra divider though. I think there should be enough room for that. A spare from my retrospective probably, unless I can get Peak Design to send me an extra one...

- I usually carry one of my monopods in the tripod sleeve which works great. I once carried my travel tripod, a MeFoto Globetrotter with a Manfrotto ball head in there and it handled it fairly nicely. I wouldn't even attempt to try to stick any of my larger (IE: Manfrotto 3030 or the like) in there, they may work, but I think it would be awkward.
My tripods are pretty large (Manfrotto 055 series with large and heavy heads), but the compact Gitzo monopod should work great then! Perhaps I should get me a more compact travel tripod...

Again thanks for your input Steve! I think I'll probably go for this bag. Just not sure yet which colour...

Wim

03-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Got my everyday messenger two days ago and spent some time walking around with it yesterday. I packed the K-3II, Samyang 16/2, 24/1.4, 135/2, Pentax FA31/1.8 and Venus 60/2.8 macro. I might have managed a small limited lens extra. Spare batteries in front pocket, as well as my wallet, and mobile phone (Nexus 5) in the main compartment's inner pocket. I couldn't manage this in my previous "medium size" bag, the LowePro Classified Sling 180 AW.

All in all a bit heavy (as expected given the quantity of gear), and hence slightly cumbersome to work the bag, but carrying it messenger style on my back (using one stabilizer strap) is very comfortable. The cumbersome bit was in accessing the gear, and more related to my still having to adapt the way I organize things in this bag. E.g.: a large wallet is not good idea for the front pocket. Possibly I was a bit too ambitious loading the bag (though with this kit it still closed at the second attachment point, i.e. the second smallest size), but that was part of the exercise. Now I know how far I can go, even if I will load it more conservatively in future.

Changing the straps to accommodate mirror use of the bag (right shoulder instead of left shoulder as designed) was easy. Peak design published a video on this, which I watched a few weeks before my purchase. Even without watching it again I did the change very quickly and without hitches. Note that both the main strap and the support straps need to be switched. I saw video reviews where the reviewers couldn't manage this... That says more about those reviewers than about the bag...

The bag is more rigid than I would have thought initially, but I was lead to expect this from on-line reviews I read. This is not a bad thing, as it allows use of the top zipper also for the (heavier) load I was carrying. On a more flexible bag that zipper would have become very hard to open or close. The same goes for the dividers, which are pretty stiff. That I hadn't expected. Of course this helps them keeping their origami shape once inserted into the bag. I thought I might have needed an extra one when carrying a lot of small gear (=limited lenses), but adding a fourth divider of the same design wouldn't work. I'll try a small one from my ThinkTank bag instead if the need should arise.

The side pockets are perfect for my lens caps BTW, but not for much more than that...

Haven't tested with my monopod in the tripod sleeve yet. Nor have I put anything in the laptop/tablet pocket, though I will never put a laptop in there (an e-reader at most).

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 03-14-2016 at 09:02 AM.
07-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #21

To anyone that has these bags, how are they holding up over time and how much do you still like them? All my current set ups just are not doing it for me. Peak design has a new kickstarter with backpacks so I wanna get a feel for their bag build quality
07-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
To anyone that has these bags, how are they holding up over time and how much do you still like them? All my current set ups just are not doing it for me. Peak design has a new kickstarter with backpacks so I wanna get a feel for their bag build quality
I love mine. I use it daily to carry camera gear as well as my Surface Pro and stuff for work. Just recently I had one little velcro patch in the back compartment come unstitched and Peak Design is sending me a brand new bag. Can't beat that customer service. I've already pledged for the 30L backpack.

07-16-2016, 05:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Build quality is excellent. That goes for all components. The various materials are also well chosen. My bag is still as good as new. I remain impressed.

Concerning the newly announced products, I'm not really interested in either the tote or the sling, but the backpacks look nice. I would have to handle them first to decide whether they would work though, and which size would be best.

Wim

07-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #24

My Everyday Messenger has held up nicely. The only area that's shown signs of wear are the mag latch area scratching up, which isn't a big deal, and the zippers. With the weight of the bag and how it sits on the body, the top "rail" where the handle is attached to can bend and crease on one of the ends, depending on which side you wear the bag. As a result when wearing the bag, the zippers can be a little difficult to open and close.

I pledged for the 30L backpack as the specs seem more able to fit in my 15" non-Apple laptop better than the messenger bag. Also I'm thinking of getting the sling as well, depending on how it looks in their upcoming deep dive videos. The messenger bag feels a little too big at times, though they've now released a slightly smaller Everyday Messenger 13 that fits 13" laptops.
Attached Images

07-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, my EDM does the same crease on the top. A little annoying but it really doesn't affect any function or performance for me.

07-19-2016, 10:46 PM   #26

The new baclpacks look very interesting but after trying on a few lowepro ones Im worrie that they may be too narrow around the back of the neck so Ill probably hold off untill theyre in stores
07-24-2016, 01:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

It does look nice but quite expensive and big. I got similar bag, a bit smaller. MUCH cheaper and as good looking with kalahari (now brought by manfrotto). I paid something between 50 and 70€ and it come with a better strap.

It look like that: https://www.amazon.com/Kalahari-Kapako-Camera-Cameras-Bridge/dp/B000X8XZBK
(Beware of the aliasing on the picture, use the magnifying glass).

That peak design look very good but it is expensive.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-24-2016 at 01:14 AM.
07-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A pm I received after having posted here...

QuoteOriginally posted by orangestone:
Hey there,

I work for Peak Design, and I noticed you might be interested in our new Backpack
Thanks for your support in the past!

I'd be happy to send you a bag from the latest Kickstarter campaign to keep, after the Kickstarter campaign ends in the autumn. I can also offer you an accessory (a strap or clip, etc.) and I'd be able to mail that out to you now. In return, if you like the products, and if you would feel ethical about honestly endorsing them, we'd really appreciate some love on the forums, for your photography community to be aware of what we think are quality and useful products for photographers. We are not a large company and as such we depend in large part on word-of-mouth.

Let me know what you think. If this doesn't interest you, please disregard and I won't contact you again.

Thanks,
Hamish
To be aware if you intend to use forums reviews/report/comments as a deciding factor...
07-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting but not surprising
07-27-2016, 11:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Community marketing. Peak design used this before when they launched the original everyday messenger.

Many youtubers and bloggers posted interesting reviews that were an important part of my purchase decision. Note that they *all* mentioned having received the bag for review from peak design. Some were very honest in their review BTW, some were very critical (Tony Northrup, though he didn't get the sling aspect of the carry system iirc).

This PM (I received it as well) is part of Peak design expanding their social network as they expand their product line. Good business plan I would say.

Wim