Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Peak Design new do-it-all bag

I came across this the other day. Peak Design has a new Kickstarter project they call the everday messanger bag. Seems pricey but has many features I am interest in.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this? Santa wants to know :-)

https://www.peakdesign.com/the-everyday-messenger

12-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Presumably not, as it is still pre-order...
12-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

There is a review here: Review: Peak Design's Everyday Messenger Bag is Both Sexy and Smart

And here: http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/peak-design-everyday-messenger-review-th...ame-1730874955

As noted though it's still pre-order.
12-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hate to come off all negative, but, does this look kind of huge for a messenger bag?

Personally the cost is way out of my league as well but that's a personal problem I guess. Maybe it's justifiable, I don't know.

12-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It does seem a bit large in that picture.. i am looking for an every day bag to carry camera gear, laptop, light lunch etc.
12-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems to expand as you fill it. It interests me, I would like to see if it fits the 300 f4 with body.
12-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tenba Messenger (I have the Large) is a better looking bag for less money.

12-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the Retrospective bags from Think Tank. I have the 5 and the 7. Way smaller than the Peak Designs. My K-3 with DA*200 mounted fits in the larger bag lengthwise when the padded dividers are removed. Two primes and a sandwich fit as well. Tablet computer sleeves on the back of both bags.
12-13-2015, 11:29 PM   #9

I supported the Kickstarter campaign for the Everyday Messenger bag, should get it in by the end of the week. I plan on using it as my everyday school bag carrying my K-3 a zoom like my 17-50 or 18-135, a couple of primes, sandwich, water bottle, sketchbook, and hopefully my 15" laptop would fit (but it's thicker than a Macbook Pro which it's rated for). The tessellated folding dividers, compactability, and the quick access top zip are the most valuable features I look forward to. Currently I'm using the Think Tank Retrospective 7.
12-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
I supported the Kickstarter campaign for the Everyday Messenger bag, should get it in by the end of the week. I plan on using it as my everyday school bag carrying my K-3 a zoom like my 17-50 or 18-135, a couple of primes, sandwich, water bottle, sketchbook, and hopefully my 15" laptop would fit (but it's thicker than a Macbook Pro which it's rated for). The tessellated folding dividers, compactability, and the quick access top zip are the most valuable features I look forward to. Currently I'm using the Think Tank Retrospective 7.
Thanks for the note, Cgchang, let us know what your impressions are when you have a chance to try it out. I'm quite interested.
12-20-2015, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #11

Just got the bag today. Very very quick first thoughts on the bag:
  • Compared to the Retrospective 7 it's quite a bit bigger especially width, about 3 inches wider.
  • Quickly put in the K-3, DA 18-135 w/ hood forward, FA* 24 w/ hood forward, DA 35 Limited, and DA 15 Limited it feels lighter and much more comfortable to where, maybe the wideness of it distributes the weight horizontally.
  • Stabilizer straps tucked into the side pockets can take up some space inside the bag as in bulges inwards when those straps are rolled and tucked in, but after taking out and re-tucking it seems to have gotten better, weird.
  • I'm unable to put in my 15.6" Lenovo B575 laptop. A 15" Macbook Pro may work, I'm unable to test that, 13" should be a breeze.
  • Dividers are feel stiff but pretty well padded

Some pics:
  1. How the dividers came with the bag and closed to half height. I've not adjusted their positions.
  2. Left to right: DA 35 Limited, DA 15 Limited, FA* 24
  3. Dividers closed to half height and camera with DA 18-135 attached laid across. This make accessing from the top zip super easy.
  4. Both DA Limiteds stacked on top each other the left compartment and divider folded to half height. K-3 with DA 18-135 attached and hood forward. Center divider folded to 3/4 height.
Attached Images

Last edited by cgchang; 12-20-2015 at 06:57 PM.
12-21-2015, 03:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need a comfortable bag to take on an overseas trip as carry-on baggage with my camera, a couple of extra lenses, etc, passport, laptop.

Do you think this would fit the bill? Is it nice quality?

Ta.
12-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The Tenba Messenger (I have the Large) is a better looking bag for less money.
That, and the Timbuk2 Snoop messenger, are the two best bags I've seen.
12-31-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am really enjoying this bag. It has become my daily carry with camera kit, tablet, notebook and other daily essentials. Very functional and well designed
12-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm liking the bag as well but I do have to say that it is a bit smaller than I expected. With my Surfact Pro 3 in the laptop compartment, a couple lenses in the bottom and my camera at the top of the bag, and the front pocket loaded with some stuff but really not that much, the bag is already bloating quite a bit and I'm on the second to the top latch. I even found the field pouch to be a bit bulky in the bag. I have since put the pouch on the shoulder strap and it works quite well like this.