Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
??Good lens 4 wedding work?

Just wondering what the thoughts are for a good all around lens for wedding shots? Thank you for any replies

Would this be good? Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 AF DI-II LD IF

06-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Rosemary,
I thought of this lens before for the same purpose and decided against it.
With superzooms I worry about dwindling IQ at the telephoto end, which I'd use often since the lens offers it... On the other hand, some reviews have said this lens is relatively sharp.

What goes against the Tammy is its strong pincushion distortion at many of its focal lengths. CA is not too much of a problem with it, but for peace of mind, I chose to go with the Tammy 28-75. Reason? I know it's sharp, with low distortion and CA, and it can be used indoors with low lighting - a problem I've found with many church weddings.

Just depends how you expect to use the lens - you probably won't be disappointed if you're shooting outdoor weddings with lots of light. And of course you have the bonus of not having to change lenses when you spot a good opportunity from far off.
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Pentax FA version of the Tamron 18-200mm that I picked up for very little money.

The focal length was versatile for 35mm film but on digital, there is not enough at the wide end to be useful for events. This applies to the 28-75mm as well in my opinion.

Overall I'd rate the 18-200mm as an average performer typical of superzooms. Expected distortion at the wide end but performance starts getting better up until about 135mm, it gets to be soft beyond that. This lens is a best used in bright outdoors.

Some sample images:

BTW this thread should be in the SLR Lens discussion section.
06-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For wedding shots, you definitely want bright lenses and 3.5 to 6.3 will not cut it.

As far as zoom ranges, you probably will not need anything more than 135-150. If you do, you can always carry a longer lens.

The closest lens to ideal I have found is the Pentax DA * 50-135 2.8 IF. Sweet lens to say the least. I just wish there was a wider version available, like a 16-135 perhaps. Otherwise I just carry two lenses, 16-50 and 50-135, and it works just fine.

06-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Of the lenses you have, the 50mm and the 90mm would work for lower than normal light. The 50 would be good inside a church or wedding hall. The 90 would be good for those stealth candid shots where you want to be away from the action and not be noticed. People act more natural when they don't see the camera. The kit lens would work for bridal party shots and group shots, especially if you can shoot those outdoors.

I think a good, fast short zoom would probably be best. The Tamron 28-75/2.8 seems to get a lot of wedding usage. It covers the range you'd be most likely to shoot in.
06-29-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I suggest the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens for wedding work ... after seeing some great results from this lens and it's great IQ ... It's a great lens for the $$$$$

I have a similar range Sigma and I find it to be a great indoor lens ... with a perfect zoom range for this sort of work. I like it.