Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 and Peak Design Slidelite or another choice?

Does anyone have the Peak Design Slide Lite and use it with the K-3? The biggest lens I'd use it with for the foreseeable future is the Pentax HD 55-300mm. I want to make sure it's comfortable enough for extended use or see if I should get the regular Slide instead.

Or are there any very solid choices for $50 and under for a sling otherwise?

I've looked at the Op/tech sling strap but am worried about complaints that the strap gets in the way if you hold the camera vertically.

I'm not sure I like the Black Rapid attachments that only attach to the tripod mount since you can't keep the strap on the camera and it only has one attachment point.

I'm not sure how much longer I can handle the strap that comes with the camera!

Thanks!

12-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
I've looked at the Op/tech sling strap but am worried about complaints that the strap gets in the way if you hold the camera vertically.
Doesn't if you attach it right.
Mounted like this the Op/Tech gives you three options:
1) On the sling normally
2) No sling with the camera clips put together you have a nice hand grip
3) On a tripod with no sling to catch on something or flutter in the wind. Just mount the camera on the tripod, then unclip the sling leaving it on your neck.

12-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

I'm not sure how much longer I can handle the strap that comes with the camera!
What's wrong with it? Legitimately curious, because i've been fine with the strap that came with my k-30
12-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
What's wrong with it? Legitimately curious, because i've been fine with the strap that came with my k-30
I thought so too, for years. Until I tried a sling strap (the one from Op/Tech but there are others), and I would never use a regular neck strap again. The sling straps are much more comfortable and let the camera hang by your side rather than bouncing off your chest. But everyone is different so only you can tell if one would work for you. Try out the OP/TECH, it's like $30 or so. Though to attach it like I've shown you need a tripod plate with an attachment point.

Another nice feature of the OP/TECH is that the shoulder pads are changeable, so I have a camo one for regular use and a black one for classy gigs

12-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Slide and have used it for the last year on my K-50 and am now using it on my K-3... it is quite comfortable...
12-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might follow this thread. Kath has a slide lite coming as do I but I don't have a K-3/II...yet. However, I think it will hold just fine. What is hard for "us" to determine is how you will like it. I like using the PD Leash just fine and it is a very thin strap. But, that works for me and may not work for someone else. Personal preferences are hard to transfer, especially over a forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/308067...de-clutch.html
12-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
You might follow this thread. Kath has a slide lite coming as do I but I don't have a K-3/II...yet. However, I think it will hold just fine. What is hard for "us" to determine is how you will like it. I like using the PD Leash just fine and it is a very thin strap. But, that works for me and may not work for someone else. Personal preferences are hard to transfer, especially over a forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/308067...de-clutch.html
I only ask now because it's possible it can be a Christmas present but obviously only if I make a decision right away.

@Imp: I just don't like it hanging right off of my chest. It constantly gets in the way for me. I'd like the option to keep the camera out of the way unless I actually want to shoot.

@jatrax: I may take another look at the Op/tech. I don't have a tripod yet though so I can't use the mounting plate as a connection point yet. Is it awkward to have the grip be on the bottom end and on your left hand when you use it as a hand grip?

12-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

@Imp: I just don't like it hanging right off of my chest. It constantly gets in the way for me. I'd like the option to keep the camera out of the way unless I actually want to shoot.
I usually sling it over my head, across my chest, under my arm. If that makes sense. off to my side, not too difficult to get ready to shoot. Depends, of course, how big you are - i'm rather small.
12-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jatrax: I may take another look at the Op/tech. I don't have a tripod yet though so I can't use the mounting plate as a connection point yet. Is it awkward to have the grip be on the bottom end and on your left hand when you use it as a hand grip?
When clipped together as I described the hand grip is on the left. I say "hand grip" but do not think this is like one of those nice leather ones, it just gives you something to hang onto. You can (at least I can) use it as a left handed hand grip with my hand through the loop. The connectors are hard and not comfortable like a dedicated hand grip, so you can use it as a convenience but I doubt it would work for long periods.

If you have no use for a tripod, now or in the future, I think there are better (or at least as good) options. I use a tripod a lot and this setup is ideal for that as I can shift from hand held to tripod quickly without a lot of fuss. I can even mount the camera on the tripod without disconnecting the strap if conditions are really bad. ANd if I'm using the tripod without the strap then the hand grip serves as a secure grip when setting up the camera or changing lenses.

I love the set up of the Op/TECH and I know others do as well but there are lots of other options out there so take your time and look at them all.
12-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I use a Blackrapid sling strap and would never go back to a neckstrap as the weight is on one's shoulder, rather than on the neck, and I only attach the strap when I need it.

The latter aspect takes away the security risk every permanently attached strap represents. One can involuntarily catch the strap, pulling the camera from a table, for instance, or have strap be caught somewhere when picking up the camera, causing one to lose grip on the camera.

Outside the security concern it is also much nicer to handle purely the camera without the strap drama attached, when no strap is needed. Try it sometime!

There is also the stupid "camera dangling in front of you" aspect of neck straps that others already mentioned, but even though carrying the camera on the side is much nicer, the above reasons even trump that aspect, AFAIC.
12-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't used the SliteLite but I have owned three Peak Design products (Capture v1, Capture v2, and Capture Pro) and think they're wonderful.
Personally I go sling/neck strapless with all my cameras. I use a thin, DIY paracord wrist strap when in use (for DSLRs and K-01s) and connect the camera to either a Peak Design Capture connected to my bag strap or belt, or to a B-Grip Evo when hiking. I know that this is a very unpopular carrying option (frankly I think it's cause so few have tried it) but it's easy and not cumbersome like I find using and storing straps.
12-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went strapless on my k3. None at all seems to be working well.
12-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #13

I have both the Leash and the Slide. The Slide is very comfortable due to it being a wider strap and I can comfortably carry a K-50 and a Bigma on long walks. The Leash gets a little tiresome with that amount of weight because the thinner width seems to put more pressure on your neck or shoulder depending on how you wear it.

Both seem to be holding up well after almost a year of owning them.
12-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a Tamrac strap that is long enough to use as a sling over my shoulder, it also has a wide neoprene pad on it that has some give to it so it never digs in even on my neck it doesn't bother me because of the stretch in the neoprene. I absolutely love this strap
12-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #15

I use a carry speed's straps with F2 mounting plate. the system is compatible with the spider holster (i use the black widow). I attached a Peak design clutch hand strap since i rarely use the shoulder strap at all and prefer to carry the camera on my holster. The F2 mounting plate has built in arca swiss plate.