Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Panagor Auto Macro Converter

Hi there

I'm a new member to the Pentax Forum and a novice photographer. I have a Pentax K-s2 and have recently acquired a Panagor Auto Macro Converter from e-bay. When combined with a Sigma 28-80 lens (has aperture ring) I've managed to take some reasonable macro photos with it but only by playing around - more by luck than by any idea of what I should be doing . Would anybody have an instruction manual for this converter or could tell me the correct way to use this device. I would be very grateful for any help.

Many thanks

Andy

12-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best overview I've seen of the converter is at Panagor Auto Macro Converter (1:1-1:10 with 50mm)

The converter has been around for a while. You can get something like 71 separate listings in PF, if you insert "Panagor Auto Macro Converter" into our search engine to get you up and running.
12-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The converter was most specifically designed to be used with a 50mm lens - one of the standard high quality "normal" lenses that were supplied as standard with the cameras at the time. The classic and most common pentax one is the SMC-M 50mm f1.7 The converter can be tried with any matching mount lens but I suggest that with zooms results will normally not be as good, simply because zooms are not as good, the more complex optics means that there are more faults and weaknesses that additional optics like this converter (or a teleconverter) magnify.
As for its use, well the ins and outs of getting good results from it are the same as for getting good results from any macro set up so your recourse is to browse the macro threads here eg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/

and search online - it's a big topic with lots to learn.
12-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Best overview I've seen of the converter is at Panagor Auto Macro Converter (1:1-1:10 with 50mm)

The converter has been around for a while. You can get something like 71 separate listings in PF, if you insert "Panagor Auto Macro Converter" into our search engine to get you up and running.
Thanks John :-)

12-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The converter was most specifically designed to be used with a 50mm lens - one of the standard high quality "normal" lenses that were supplied as standard with the cameras at the time. The classic and most common pentax one is the SMC-M 50mm f1.7 The converter can be tried with any matching mount lens but I suggest that with zooms results will normally not be as good, simply because zooms are not as good, the more complex optics means that there are more faults and weaknesses that additional optics like this converter (or a teleconverter) magnify.
As for its use, well the ins and outs of getting good results from it are the same as for getting good results from any macro set up so your recourse is to browse the macro threads here eg

Macro Photography - PentaxForums.com

and search online - it's a big topic with lots to learn.
Thanks Marcus :-)