Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

1.08-1.6x viewfinder eyepiece magnifier

i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the cheap (~$20) 1.08-1.6x viewfinder magnifiers available on eBay.
the posts i see listed say they are compatible with "Pentax K-M/K7/KX/K10D/K100D/K20D/K200D/*ISTDL2/*ISTDL/*ISTDS/ ISTD;"
on the pentax o-me53 page on b&h people say it works with k7's and k20d's for instance so I'm assuming that it would fit just that the magnification factor may be too much for the newer viewfinders and cause some serious vignetting.

i use a k50 so if i don't magnify it all the way, i only go to say 1.3-4xish would i be ok or will this thing probably not fit for one reason or another? it seems to zoom out so i don't think it would damage the viewfinder. from what I've read the 1.2x of the o-me53 is pretty weak but that may be more true on the older models.

any input or experience on the matter would be awesome. i know the tenpa 1.36x is way better but its hard to find and any i find are in the pack with all the adapters for ~90$ instead of the pentax specific one that would be like half that and not contain a bunch of useless adapters. if someone wants to sell me a tenpa 1.36 id be up for that too.

thanks in advance.

12-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Om53 it's comfortable and works really well. An useful addition to the camera and quite inexpensive. It's perfect for my needs (on k5).
12-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I bought one a long time ago - the zoom range acts more like a dioptric adjustment slider above the Pentax DSLR's viewfinder. At it's highest magnification range, it's hard to obtain sharp focus of the viewfinder. Keeping the magnification at around 1.2-1.3x achieved the best result - magnification vs vignetting. It works well enough but I got tired of constantly having to readjust the magnification setting, which would inadvertently and inevitably get thrown off when the camera is put into or removed from the camera bag/pack and eventually replaced it with O-ME53.

If you want it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Btw, the glass element closest to the VF is fixed, so you don't need to worry about the magnifier damaging your camera.
12-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the O-ME53 on my K3, shifted over from my K10 when I upgraded. I don't have serious problems with seeing the whole viewfinder including the "light bulbs" on the bottom with it - but I am not wearing spectacles. I think with the spectacles I would have to shift my eye around to see the aperture and other displays.

12-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok. i might just go with the o-me53 then. i found a review on the accessories page after i posted this and it may have been your post excanon I'm not sure but it basically said what you just did. I'm not worried about the o-me53 vignetting too much, I was kinda worried about it being not enough of a difference to justify the expenditure. its only 1.18x which is pretty minute. i guess i could just stick with live view zooming if i want to manual focus. does anyone know if there is any drawback to this method?
12-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mignification effect aside, when I purchased my k5 I had some problems with the diopter adjustment: it was like I wansn't able to find the right setting ((it would be -0- compensation because I don't have sight problems). With the OM53 I solved the problem, my viewfinder is perfect now and I found the right setting immediately. So I recommend it like a consistent and useful accessory. Regards. Matteo
12-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
cool thanks for the info.