Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Another Camera Bag Suggestion Question

Looking for suggestions on a hiking bag. Needs to carry my camera gear a lunch and some small items (fly fishing tackle) for day excursions away from a weekend base camp. ...my truck.
My camera gear includes k-3, pentax 50-135, sigma 17-50, 50, flash, batteries, cards, filters, a future 100 macro and most importantly and challanging my sigma 100-300 f4 and tripod.

Thanks

12-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure others will have their favorites. This is mine:

Amazon.com: Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Pro DSLR Camera Backpack: Camera & Photo

This is a larger version; smaller sizes are available is needed. My favorite part is that I can put it down and only the front gets dirty, not the part that goes against my back
12-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a lot of different ways to look at this. Do you plan on carrying the camera with a lens mounted as you hike, ot are you just carrying them to a spot. If you are just carrying all of the gear a backpack should do it, a large backpack. If you plan on shooting during the hike carry the camera and a lens on a shoulder strap and carry a sling bad or individual lens bags on a belt, a tripod bag, and pockets for the rest. Maybe a shoulder or messenger bag. I prefer a sling bag because you can access it without removing it. Whatever you do, the two large lenses and tripod make it a lot to carry, I don't think there is a perfect solution. I have a Tenba medium sling and I really don't use it often. I have it configured to carry a camera with attached lens, 3 or 4 other lenses (but not large lenses), lunch, first aid kit, and batteries, cards, filters, etc. With a bag that size won't fit my 70-200 or 300/4 the way I have it set up..I would have to reconfigure to add a larger lens, because it I have the smaller lens on the camera, I have to be able to store/carry the two larger lenses. With this size bag I could not carry both, maybe, but it would be a challenge. I would also have to carry a lens exchange bag on my belt. I'm just throwing out some ideas because I think you have to really think this through, it's not an easy task.
12-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's a pretty burly load-out!

If you do decide to go the backpack/camera insert route (e.g. the F-stop ICU), let me put a maker on your radar: Hill People Gear, based in Colorado. While a panel-loader would probably be more efficient that the top-loading rucksacks that they offer, their "shoulder yoke" harness and "Prairie Belt" hipbelt are by far the most comfortable I've worn. I've got several hundred miles on my HPG Ute and couldn't be happier.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

12-23-2015, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The Clik Elite Venture 30 is my favorite camera hiking bag. High quality materials and adjustable straps. It also has room for a water bladder. And best of all its on sale at BHphotovideo for $89.95. Retail price is $220.95.

Clik Elite Venture 30 Backpack CE709GR B&H Photo Video

12-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
The Clik Elite Venture 30 is my favorite camera hiking bag. High quality materials and adjustable straps. It also has room for a water bladder. And best of all its on sale at BHphotovideo for $89.95. Retail price is $220.95.

Clik Elite Venture 30 Backpack CE709GR B&H Photo Video

I have a Clik Elite lens bag and it's very well made, It has thicker and denser padding than any other bag I've seen.
12-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's a pretty burly load-out!
That's what I was thinking. But I was young once.

12-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have a Clik Elite lens bag and it's very well made, It has thicker and denser padding than any other bag I've seen.
They're better made than Lowepro products. I think they are top of the line in my opinion. And at this price you'd be crazy not to buy. I should be a salesman for Clik
12-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a bag that's really good for hiking. Put the camera in a wrap and put any lenses in neoprene pouches. Put them in the bag. Don't waste space with a special camera-specific bag.
12-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Get a bag that's really good for hiking. Put the camera in a wrap and put any lenses in neoprene pouches. Put them in the bag. Don't waste space with a special camera-specific bag.

This, if you plan on hauling your gear with you all day and cover some ground. I've never had a camera bag that had a harness as good as an actual hiking pack.

Nowadays I have a bunch of padded camera inserts that I use with different non-camera bags.
12-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #11

Lowepro

I also have the Lowepro Flipside 400 bag bag and really appreciate the security of its design. It cannot be opened by anyone standing behind you in a crowd, it must first be partly removed to access the opening. Not so important if you are hiking in open country but very important in more populated areas. It is comfortable to wear and very adjustable inside whatever gear you carry.
12-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the suggestions so far. I currently have the Mountain Smith Decent sling pack and love it except for the narrow front pocket. It holds all my camera gear except for the 100-300 and I carry the tripod.
I think my plan is to have the camera out with a smaller lens attached and clipped to my pack straps with some brand of arca swiss clip system.
Has anybody tried the Lowepro Whistler bags?
Suggestions on a quality dedicated hiking bag that pouches or a "ICU" could be added to secure the camera gear?
12-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

FWIW, here's a picture of the HPG Ute (plus compression panel, plus tripod scabbard from Sunrise Tactical Gear) that I run here in the Southern Appalachia's...

I've no first hand experience with your area of operation, but I'm thinking a day afield up there might mean layers and lots of 'em--not even counting a flyrod or two if dumb brook trout are (also) your thing.

Another option of course would be the Canadian Arc'Teryx--no doubt they're still living up to their bomb-proof-but-spendy reputation...I've always to shake out their Khard series, which seems tailor-made for photography...
Khard 45 Pack / Men's / Arc'teryx LEAF / Arc'teryx LEAF / Arc'teryx LEAF
12-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john.mcclurey Quote
I also have the Lowepro Flipside 400 bag bag and really appreciate the security of its design. It cannot be opened by anyone standing behind you in a crowd, it must first be partly removed to access the opening. Not so important if you are hiking in open country but very important in more populated areas. It is comfortable to wear and very adjustable inside whatever gear you carry.
This is a really good point and the more I think about it, makes me want this pack.
12-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
This is a really good point and the more I think about it, makes me want this pack.
I bought just for this purpose. The security is excellent, and I often bring it to shoots. But I don't find it all day comfortable and use it more like a "haul gear securely to a place and then work out of it" kind of bag.