Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need a gimbal?

A friend of mine bought one of these and I got to check it out a few days ago. I now have one on order. A great piece of equipment well worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ETQJOF8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

12-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
A friend of mine bought one of these and I got to check it out a few days ago. I now have one on order. A great piece of equipment well worth the money.
I had one of these and sold it only because I prefer hand holding for birds. It was well worth the money and I should have kept it.
12-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Been using one for awhile now. Very well worth the money.
12-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

I've been using a ballhead with panning capabilities. Not ideal, but better than nothing!

12-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Chances are that you will have to relube the Beike for it to work right.

There are even some threads here on the subject.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/218490...mbal-head.html
12-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Chances are that you will have to relube the Beike for it to work right.
+1. Mine works quite well now, but it took a complete tear down, some careful filing and cleaning up plus a re-lube. Now it works smoothly, out of the box, not so much.
12-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Mine worked quite well out of the box, but I did end up doing excanonfd's spring mod, which definitely helps keep the mount stable when the screw is loosened.

Handles my A* 600mm with ease.

I'm hoping it will allow me to use my recently acquired SMC Pentax-M M42 500mm. That thing is like an anvil! Right after I got it, I just HAD to try it out, so I mounted it on my Beike BK03 ball head and HOLY SMOKES! A very BAD idea! There was a very gently breeze and the thing wobbled all over the place. I did manage to get a couple of test shots that came out quite sharp, so I'm anxious for the gimbal to arrive.

On a side note, I need to "semi-permanently" attach the M42 - K mount adapter to the lens. Which "color" of Locktite would you recommend?

12-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A $70 or so Gimbal makes the hair in the back of my head go up. Scary...
12-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
A $70 or so Gimbal makes the hair in the back of my head go up. Scary...
My first thought as well. Before I tried one. It is not perfect and there are some fit and finish issues but it is solidly built. No issues with function or support at all. Just not as well finished or as smooth as the more expensive ones.
12-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My first thought as well. Before I tried one. It is not perfect and there are some fit and finish issues but it is solidly built. No issues with function or support at all. Just not as well finished or as smooth as the more expensive ones.
Good. As long as it will solidly hold 3k+ worth of gear.
12-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Good. As long as it will solidly hold 3k+ worth of gear.
I'm not concerned with mine. Of course the tripod you put it on is a big factor. Putting it on a cheap tripod might be pushing the envelope too much.
12-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not concerned with mine. Of course the tripod you put it on is a big factor. Putting it on a cheap tripod might be pushing the envelope too much.
Yup. My Bogen-Manfrotto 475B is struggling with the Pentax 150-450 with Jobu gimbal
12-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Blue - it's strong enough for pretty continuous use but can be removed in Ina pinch.

Be careful if it's an aftermarket adapter. Some of them will cause the lens to bind in the bayonet if the adapter is glued to the lens due to the differing tolerances.

Nope, got me the OEM adapter. Tried one of the cheapos on a film camera body and very quickly "saw the light." Thanks for the Locktite recommendation. I'm looking forward to taking some elk photos this coming spring. I used to live in a little valley high up in the mountains north of Boise and I know where they hang out in huge herds. The 500mm should serve me well, as the elk are very accustomed to having a lot of human contact and we'll be able get within 75-100 yds. of them. I'm kinda' worried though.... I didn't spend $1,400 for my gimbal!
12-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Dew, I use mine with my Sigma 150-500mm and my Manfrotto 055xprob a lot without worry. It also handles my heavy old Tammy adaptall SP 500mm the same.
12-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Dew, I use mine with my Sigma 150-500mm and my Manfrotto 055xprob a lot without worry. It also handles my heavy old Tammy adaptall SP 500mm the same.

That's good to know, OBR. Thanks for the reassurance. I was very impressed at the heavy construction and smoothness of the one my buddy got. I hope mine is as finely crafted as his. If so, I'll be very pleased.