Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IR release for K3

Can anyone confirm that this IR release works with the K3? I'm assuming it does.

Vello IR-P1 Infrared Remote Control for Select Pentax IR-P1 B&H

12-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

I have one and use it on my K3II, I only use the shutter button. Not sure about the zoom function as it is not something I care about...probably a function more electronic zooms.
i had the pentax remote but the battery died and you cant just swap it out. I like the pentax remore better simply because this one has to be aimed right at the sensor or it won't fire. My Pentax was still line of site obviously but was not as finicky with a direct aim.

Last edited by Pentax Mainer; 12-27-2015 at 10:27 AM.
12-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have determined that the infrared trigger code must not have changed between models. The same remote I bought for my K10d works just fine with my K3ii.
12-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks a lot to both of you! Yes, I had originally looked at the Pentax one, but when I saw the battery could not be exchanged, I passed on it.

I'll order this one!

12-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Yes, I had originally looked at the Pentax one, but when I saw the battery could not be exchanged, I passed on it.
I have read that it can be changed, just needs a few screwdrivers.
Anyway the battery in these lasts for a long time!
12-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not that it's a lot of money but have you looked to see if your phone can work as an IR remote? I have a Galaxy Note 3 and it has an IR transmitter so I have an app that works great. I still have a simple IR remote as well that uses the 2025 button batteries. I just find it stays in the bag more often than not now.
12-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Not that it's a lot of money but have you looked to see if your phone can work as an IR remote?
I just have a very simple flip phone that I carry for emergencies only.

12-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I have read that it can be changed, just needs a few screwdrivers.
Anyway the battery in these lasts for a long time!
Maybe, but it states that the battery cannot be changed. Probably would loose the WR on it. Regardless if the battery lasts for a long time, I hate buying something that's a throwaway.

I'm ordering the Vello.
12-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I just have a very simple flip phone that I carry for emergencies only.
Gotcha. I just figured I would throw the idea out there. I haven't used it a ton but it has some nifty features including a timer for timelapse and a simulated HDR mode. Maybe something to look into if you ever move on from the flip phone.

bitshift - DSLR Remote
12-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I use one that came with a Pentax IQ Zoom90WR, a 35mm film camera that I bought back in the 90s. The manual says you have to send it to Pentax for battery replacement, but it's just one screw to open it. I have changed the battery many times. It's weather proof, as the camera that came with it was. I have used it with a K10D, a K5 and now with a K3II with no problem, more than 20 years and still working.
12-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Gotcha. I just figured I would throw the idea out there. I haven't used it a ton but it has some nifty features including a timer for timelapse and a simulated HDR mode. Maybe something to look into if you ever move on from the flip phone.

bitshift - DSLR Remote
Thank you! That's good information for others that might need this feature. Where I am, there's no cell service, so I only have a cell phone for emergency when I drive to/from town. I don't need anything more in a phone, as I've not even used this one, I have over 400 minutes built up on it.
12-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I used Sony TV remotes as IR triggers for Pentax DSLRs. Would have to look up the exact button I pressed as it has been a long time since I last did it.
12-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I used Sony TV remotes as IR triggers for Pentax DSLRs. Would have to look up the exact button I pressed as it has been a long time since I last did it.
The "2nd room" button on my Sony surround-sound remote triggers the camera and it has roughly a 25' range outdoors in sunlight
I now use my Galaxy S5 mostly...
12-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Vello IR-P1 and I found that the button that is supposed to zoom (labeled W/T) actually focuses my K-5IIs. I was just fooling around with it and when I pressed the W/T button I heard the focus beep. Now, I usually press the W/T button just prior to the "S" button.
12-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SciFiGuy Quote
I have the Vello IR-P1 and I found that the button that is supposed to zoom (labeled W/T) actually focuses my K-5IIs. I was just fooling around with it and when I pressed the W/T button I heard the focus beep. Now, I usually press the W/T button just prior to the "S" button.
Then it doesn't actually "zoom" the lens, rather focuses it? That probably doesn't matter as I'd have the zoom already set, before the image would be taken.