Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Small & flexible K5 camera "cover" ...

Hi Pentaxians,

I have a K5 that I am quite satisfied with, however, I have for some time now been looking for a camera cover/"bag" that will cover/protect the edges of the K5 while still allowing me to instantly/quickly take photographs with the camera.

I'm thinking something like:

- a relatively thin (rain/protective) cover, where the part that goes over the lens may quickly be released to an extent where the lens adjustments can be accessed. I will be using relatively short lenses - a standard zoom & fixed 55 & 24 mm lenses.
- the other normally used controls are also immediately accessible (shutter control, the dials associated with the top right side display & maybe the program dials).

I've searched for this on ebay but haven't found anything suitable ...

As it is I already carry a bag and I would like this camera cover to allow for a very immediate use of the camera while still protecting it. To this end I'm not looking for a camera bag as such.

Thinking that some of the K5 users here may have had a similar need and hoping you have a suggestion ... Accessibility in Europe would be preferred.

Cheers & thanks for any help

Jesper

12-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something like this?

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/covers/shell

If I'm reading your post correctly, you are looking for protection for when you need to use a lens that doesn't have WR, correct?
12-28-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@colonel00: Hi, it's partly something like you link to - inspiring!

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
If I'm reading your post correctly, you are looking for protection for when you need to use a lens that doesn't have WR, correct?
Yes, you are correct in reading my post this way - yet I'm also looking for a protection that just covers the most exposed parts of the camera body (to protect against accidentally hitting these parts against something) while keeping the most used control dials free to operate.

The lens covering part of the cover you link to could be what I'm looking for but if possible I'd rather have a camera-body-part-cover that can be removed easily over the shutter button and the program dials only ... Hope you can visualize this (?). Maybe there can be some small cloth pieces that normally covers these controls and is fixed to the rest of the camera body cover e.g. with velcro so that they can quickly be opened ...

Cheers and thanks again for your reply ;-)

Jesper
12-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, if something like that exists, I'm not aware of it but hopefully someone chimes in with an idea. One of the whole reasons I chose to go with Pentax was their rugged construction. Aside from the LCD screen(s) which I have protectors on, I haven't really had concern about damage to other parts and I've been fairly rough with mine. Now, in foul weather, I only use WR lenses which, with our WR bodies, will be fine in sealing out the weather. But, I understand that some people like to use lenses that aren't weather sealed and the Shell I linked or even just a simple plastic bag can work just fine.

It kinda sounds like you want two separate things really. One is more of what we all have come to know with smart phones as a rubber/silicon case of some sort to protect against bumps and physical abuse. The second would be some sort of weather protection for when you don't use a WR lens. Getting both in one solution might be a challenge but perhaps something out there exists.

12-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was silicone 'body armour' marketed some years ago for the K10D but I haven't seen anything similar for more recent Pentaxes.
12-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@microlight: Thanks also for your suggestion ... searching for the body armour I came across some other threads that apparently addressed something similar:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/172814-group-buy-silicone-skin-k-5-a-3.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/124744-camera-armor-k-5-a.html

So maybe there isn't something like this out there ..

Yet, if someone here knows of it I'd appreciate a tip ... ??

Cheers,

Jesper
12-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might go thru this list; doubt Pentax is on it, but worth a try.

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/camera-body-protector.html

12-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi csa,

... thanks for posting and searching, however, as you write Pentax is not on the list except for camera body caps - and they are just a bit too small ;-)

Cheers,

Jesper
01-02-2016, 02:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I might suggest buying one of the relatively inexpensive L-plates in an ARCA compatible design. This will protect both the bottom and one side of the body well, and give you the main benefit people install these for, as well! If you REALLY anticipate your camera swinging about very much, I'd add a clip system to your belt, bag/backpack strap, etc. : You can get a 'premium' name brand (Peak Design or Spyder); or you could pick up a Chinese made knockoff of the Spyder Black Widow and camera plate for under ten bucks on eBay (the B.W. part). Keep a sling strap connected (the Peak Designs Leash, for example), and I don't see why you'd have to worry about the cheap clip system breaking.

If you must also protect the side of the camera opposite the vertical "L" leg, you could fashion some sort of 'bumper' cushion arrangement that satisfies you out of Sugru -- put down some thin tape or something on the camera so the Sugru doesn't stick to the body itself; then use a non-marring, removeable adhesive to attach the bumper(s). I'm sure some company like 3M could advise expertly. Alternatively, you can get these little half-round, semi-flexible footer bits on a card from lots of places, including the dollar store or eBay. You can find really small ones, no worry. Then, again, use the safe adhesive. Tip: Trying to glue anything made of silicone may be a futile exercise.

For rain, unless your requirements are pretty specialized, why not just fashion some clear plastic (or thin, coated ripstop nylon fabric) sleeves for your lenses (or cut the commercial equivalents like Op-Tech down to suit). Attach one end to step up rings or a lens hoods, the other end close to the mount assembly. Painters' tape can do the job of fixing a tight seal at either end. Just spool out a moderate length of the tape onto some small round container you carry, keep it with you, and you're all set if you can figure out a secure attachment method for the body side. The lens front part is easy.

Finally, with either, or both, clip system and Leash/strap, you can cover the camera, making your carrying of expensive gear much less conspicuous by purchasing an INSULATED stretchy knit cap and adding elastic or a draw string/barrel lock around the cap's opening. Then you can whip this padded cover on and off the body + smaller lens in a flash! Tether the cap-cover to your belt, et.al., so you can just let it drop the instant you pull it off. A very thin bungee cord material might be ideal to minimize the length of the tether. I have, or soon will have, all these options at hand at home myself. Think creatively, and good luck. -- F.
01-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Kayaker-J: Thanks for your reply some days ago now. Admittedly, I've had to take a bit of time to look up your various suggestions on the internet as well as visualizing the various solutions ... But I'm now considering two possible solutions inspired by your suggestions: One is a DIY woolen felt pouch whereas the other one is a modified ebay pouch. So thanks for outlining your suggestions to such a degree ;-)

Have a good day,

Jesper
01-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Something like this? https://www.peakdesign.com/product/covers/shell If I'm reading your post correctly, you are looking for protection for when you need to use a lens that doesn't have WR, correct?

OK, thanks, that was just what I was looking for. The Product just arrived in Sweden. Now I'll have the extra cover I need to take my non-WR lenses out into the wet.
01-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't wanna rain on the parade, but having tried a neoprene cover and some other stuff I keep coming back to the clear plastic bag type things. It's SO much easier to use when you can see through it, and even manipulate some buttons confidently. And keeps out the rain, and basically disposable (using a regular plastic bag and a bit of gaffer's tape works too). Not much bang protection, but short of something really thick that's illusory anyway.

The problems I had with some more fancy neoprene ones were that they were tough to get on and off, stuff like dust, grit and water inevitably got inside and rubbed or sat just where you didn't want it to, and of course it was tough to work the camera. And what worked on the tripod wasn't so hot on the shoulder sling.

And I've definitely given up fiddling with these things after watching that soldier in Afghanistan shoveling dust on his Pentax and then showering it off, in the shower I mean.