Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Filters Filters Filters

So recently I bought a huge lot of camera equipment off a lady at my local flea market. I ended up getting around 135 filters out of the deal and I really only want like 35 of them. What should I do with the rest? Do filters sell anymore? Most of them are Tiffen or Hoya and some are new in the plastic. Others have definitely seen better days and aren't worth much anything at all like prinz and vivitar filters. And some are just like 15 screwed together in a stack of crummy filters.

01-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
Resident Nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

Try and sell them in the marketplace here or something.
Or keep them and decorate walls with them.
01-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
? Do filters sell anymore? Most of them are Tiffen or Hoya and some are new in the plastic.
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
And some are just like 15 screwed together in a stack of crummy filters.
Yeah, that is how they sell. A huge package of filters, many of them worthless and some of them okay and maybe a couple good ones.
Main problem with second hand filters or online filter buying is that you have next to no guarantee you got the filter that you wanted. There are fakes, tricks, and so on. And many just plain bad no-name filters.
Maybe you can sell some of the good ones individually. Recycle or throw away the rest. Or try to find someone that does this for you.
01-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've seen huge boxes of filters at camera shows attracting not much interest. Because of digital manipulation, filters aren't really of much use anymore, except for stuff like ND and polarizers, close-up lenses, IR and possibly, color-balance correcting. Circlular polarizers (for auto-focus lenses) aren't nearly as effective as linear polarizers. Filters, even clear UV filters used primarily for lens protection will degrade IQ, by virtue of introducing more reflective surfaces into the light path. I used to keep polarizers on my lenses out of sheer habit. Now I don't bother with any filters, with fast colour film I can pretty much do it all in PP.

01-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if the glass is shot, the filter rings are sometimes useful for DIY-ers and repairs. You probably could get a few bucks for a stack of them (KEH used to sell a stack of ten for ten bucks, but I don't think they bother any more), but don't expect a lot.
01-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much only film users have use for filters. Most digital people do what filters do in post or choose "filters" in the black and white mode. As was already mentioned, the only ones with real value are the polarizers and IR filters. Maybe you can have fun seeing how dark a stack of UV filters gets or how distorted the view gets. ( I guess it depends how bored you are ).
01-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'll probably end up messing around with them lol. Or taking them apart to build a new lens . I'll have to see which ones I can chuck and which I can keep. I know I got some cokin filters out of the deal too so that should be fun haha. Thanks for the tips guys!
01-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might just make a long list of what you have and post it here on the marketplace with a "make me an offer for anything you want" label. Who knows, maybe somebody really does want that one particular filter. But I agree with the others, there is not much interest and taking the time to list them individually either here or on ebay is a waste of time.

01-01-2016, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

If you can't unload them at a local swap meet or craigslist, other options include:

a) Experiment and invent your own filters by modifying them.
b) Donate them to a local artist that works glass or metal.
c) Break the Guinness World Record for a shot with stacked filters.
d) Remove the glass to create extension tubes.
e) Make them into a large custom checkers set.
f) Happy New Year! Improve your resolution this year by making a New Year's resolution not to use filters.
01-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
LOL. I think I'm gonna break the record LOL
01-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What sort of filters did you end up with? Square Cokin filters, square 100mm Lee filters, threaded round filters, Series filters, ND filters, color-correction filters, polarizers, contrast filters (red, yellow, green, blue, orange...), VC filters for an enlarger, effects filters...
01-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Skipping the worst ones across a pond may be fun.
01-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #13

Reminds of this, home-made petzval lens.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard314159/4872799252/
01-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering about the Cokin filters. Which ones did you get? Are they A or P?
01-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #15

Original Poster
I dunno about the Cokin's I'll have to check them out again. And I got a ton of color filters for shooting black and white and a ton of UV and Skylight. Have a few ND and a few polarizers, and I think I have a polarizer new in box too but will have to double check