Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sirui K20X and Tripod

I have a K-5IIS on my 16-85 lens. I have all but narrowed a ball head choice down to the Sirui K20X. I have been considering the Alta Pro 263AT as a tripod for it. I have been looking for a Sirui tripod with flip lock legs instead of the screw in type for about $150, but most of their tripods with flip lock legs only come as a kit with a ball head which I do not want. The K20X and a tripod which can support approx. 20 or more pounds and max. height approx. 55-65 would be most suitable I do not mind aluminum, and if I could get a Sirui with flip lock legs or something similar that would be satisfactory. I have a K-3II with a Sigma 150-500 on it and will most likely be getting a Gimbal head for that, but still want to be able to mount it on the K20X and tripod I am referring to, basically using it on top of the head and being very careful if I do. I have started to do some long exposure shooting, and have usually not used a tripod for other types. Examples are shooting during late evening and some astrophotography. I have a Pentax GPS/Astrotracer unit on my K-5IIS and my K-3II has the built in components. Relevant tripod opinions are welcome. Up to 200 dollar price, preferably approx. 150.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-03-2016 at 03:31 PM.
01-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been thinking similarly. I have looked into the 1204 and 2204. The prices of those tripods for what they offer are really something. I tried the 1204 at Roberts with the 150-450 and found it to be a good tripod and I was surprised how good the head was on it. One could always replace the ballhead of course if you want a larger one. The main downside is it sounds like it maybe a bit low for for you.
01-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can get a Sirui EN2004 tripod (flip locks) w/o head, but it's $196 from B&H

I suggest you go to B&H and look through the tripods by BENRO. They offer multiple models with flip-locks in the $100~200 range, example: the "Benro Classic A2580F."
GIOTTOS also has several flip lock models in your specified price range, but my experience with one of their tripods suggest they are not especially well made.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-03-2016 at 06:48 AM.
01-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
I have been thinking similarly. I have looked into the 1204 and 2204. The prices of those tripods for what they offer are really something. I tried the 1204 at Roberts with the 150-450 and found it to be a good tripod and I was surprised how good the head was on it. One could always replace the ballhead of course if you want a larger one. The main downside is it sounds like it maybe a bit low for for you.
I looked at them, but they did not have flip locks on the legs. Their maximum height is nice, assuming the size of the ball head and camera itself bring it up a little. Your 150-450 not having difficulty on the ball head is inspiring. I am curious if it was the K20X.

---------- Post added 01-03-16 at 11:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
You can get a Sirui EN2004 tripod (flip locks) w/o head, but it's $196 from B&H

I suggest you go to B&H and look through the tripods by BENRO. They offer multiple models with flip-locks in the $100~200 range, example: the "Benro Classic A2580F."
GIOTTOS also has several flip lock models in your specified price range, but my experience with one of their tripods suggest they are not especially well made.
I actually had researched the EN-2004 and it is a top prospect. The Benro has less weight capacity of the two, but if I positively knew that I would not need it, it might have been a prospect also. The Sirui seems to have a nice build and styling, and like I mentioned, strength. It folds approximately 5 inches less than the Alta Pro and its styling is more subtle looking, which I like.

I figure if I do pair the EN-2004 with a K20X, I will have a really nice setup at a reasonable cost considering the quality and possible travel use. The warranty is good also.

It is good to get an opinion from someone like you to know that there is no hidden problem that I would not have known otherwise.

I suppose my K-3II/Sigma150-500 and K-5IIS/Pentax 16-85 combinations would not have problems with this setup, though as I said, I will most likely be getting a Gimbal head for the 150-500 for more safety.

---------- Post added 01-03-16 at 11:43 AM ----------

Thank you to both of you for your input/advice. It really is a help.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-03-2016 at 03:33 PM.
01-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW: I have the Sirui EN2004. It is a very good tripod, about my favorite. I have an ancient Slik 444Sport that is perhaps my all time most-used tripod, but too short for eye level. I have and do use it for a lot of field macro work. The not-quite-as-old Bogen/Manfrotto 1321 is generally my favorite heavy tripod, although I also have a MUCH heavier converted wooden surveyor's tripod that is rarely put into use (definitely a location tripod). I have what I think is the original version of a Gitzo carbon-fiber tripod, model 1228, but I have never liked the collar locks, and the friction rings within did need replacing. I have a very light Giottos carbon fiber that I had to modify (legs did not spread adequately to provide stability, especially when taking macros with no legs extended). It's nice for travel, but the flip-locks are prone to getting loose so you must take along the appropriate Allen wrench (insignificant to carry, if you remember to pack it). I have a couple other light-weight and super-compact pods that are sometimes handy.
01-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again to both of you for the input.