Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ballhead for Sirui T-2205X tripod??

I'm interested in the Sirui T-2205X tripod for its size and weight for travel. However, I'm hesitant about their K-20x or K-30x ballheads - not for weight capacity but for whether they lock solidly in place and don't "creep", as some users have reported.

During my search, I came across the Acratech GP-ss ballhead (not sure what the "ss" stands for) and I like the gimbal and panorama capabilities. HOWEVER, I don't like how you have to unscrew and invert the head for panoramas, plus I don't like the proprietary quick release plates (ex. I have to buy one plate for my K-3, another for a lens support, etc.).

Is there a just as good/better ballhead option for panoramas, plus one that also just has one generic type of quick release plate?

01-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just double-checked as I'm also considering this ball head. Per the Acratech website their ball heads are compatible with Arca, Kirk, etc quick release plates so I don't think you have to buy theirs. See link

Acratech GPSS
01-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a thread I started ... last year apparently :P. There is some links in there referring to ball head comparison reviews done by a forum member.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/290430...-thoughts.html

For what its worth I bought (i think) the 2205x, and found a deal on a Arca-Swiss P0 ball head. I put a SunwayFoto discal clamp on top which holds my Arca plates from Peak Design just fine. I just wish I had gone with the discal clamp that had the longer tension knob as the shorter one gets in the way of the pano knob.
01-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
During my search, I came across the Acratech GP-ss ballhead (not sure what the "ss" stands for) and I like the gimbal and panorama capabilities. HOWEVER, I don't like how you have to unscrew and invert the head for panoramas, plus I don't like the proprietary quick release plates (ex. I have to buy one plate for my K-3, another for a lens support, etc.).

Is there a just as good/better ballhead option for panoramas, plus one that also just has one generic type of quick release plate?
Acratech is standard arca-swiss plate compatible -- no proprietary plates. You do have to turn it upside to make it act as a leveling base for panorama, but of course you can pan it any time without doing that so you don't have to do it that way if you aren't super-concerned about the horizon line. Not many other ballheads will give you the opportunity to level it at all in that way, so it is in no way a drawback. (To do it with almost any other ballhead, you have to carry a whole separate piece of gear.) Acratech makes great heads -- I suggest you take a closer look at their website and videos (which are kinda hilarious because whathisname is so deadpan) to understand the capabilities and differences between versions...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 01-04-2016 at 08:28 PM.
01-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had no creep problems with a Sirui K10 head. Locks as solidly as any ball I've owned, and the progression of tension when locking is very nice.
01-05-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Here's a thread I started ... last year apparently :P. There is some links in there referring to ball head comparison reviews done by a forum member.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/290430...-thoughts.html

For what its worth I bought (i think) the 2205x, and found a deal on a Arca-Swiss P0 ball head. I put a SunwayFoto discal clamp on top which holds my Arca plates from Peak Design just fine. I just wish I had gone with the discal clamp that had the longer tension knob as the shorter one gets in the way of the pano knob.
Hi... I am very interested to learn where you found a deal on the p0, wissink -- I haven't seen a break on the list price since that price jumped from $229 to $289 all at once... more than a little irksome consider the gathering strength of the dollar vs. the Euro, et.al. Thanks.
01-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Hi... I am very interested to learn where you found a deal on the p0, wissink -- I haven't seen a break on the list price since that price jumped from $229 to $289 all at once... more than a little irksome consider the gathering strength of the dollar vs. the Euro, et.al. Thanks.
I live in Canada. I frequently looked for prices and Amazon.ca seemed to be the only option. It was frequently for sale for twice the price even with the USD->CAD exchange rates. I just checked now and holy smokes, its being sold by Arca-Swiss directly for $1817.16 CAD, without the clamp and $1940.74 CAD, with the clamp. Thats $1304 USD and $1392.88 USD.

I found it only the one time on amazon.ca sold by Adorama. I think it was that $229 USD. With the exchange at the time it was close to $300 CAD + possible duties when it arrived. I believe your VAT is quite a bit more though. I was willing to go this route as I had sold some things and couldn't pass it up as I hadn't seen it go for less that $600 CAD before.

01-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I've had no creep problems with a Sirui K10 head. Locks as solidly as any ball I've owned, and the progression of tension when locking is very nice.
Same here, I got that head for Christmas. I have yet to test it with my macro setup, but from what I see it's just as good, or better maybe, than the Vanguard elliptical head I used before.
01-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I've recently received my Sirui K20X head, and have found absolutely no creep using my K3 with my 55-300 lens. If it's set up properly, according to their instructions, it's definitely got holding power.
01-10-2016, 01:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I live in Canada. I frequently looked for prices and Amazon.ca seemed to be the only option. It was frequently for sale for twice the price even with the USD->CAD exchange rates. I just checked now and holy smokes, its being sold by Arca-Swiss directly for $1817.16 CAD, without the clamp and $1940.74 CAD, with the clamp. Thats $1304 USD and $1392.88 USD.

I found it only the one time on amazon.ca sold by Adorama. I think it was that $229 USD. With the exchange at the time it was close to $300 CAD + possible duties when it arrived. I believe your VAT is quite a bit more though. I was willing to go this route as I had sold some things and couldn't pass it up as I hadn't seen it go for less that $600 CAD before.
Thanks. I guess I'm still stuck on square one. And unfortunately, people do not seem to be giving theirs up on eBay, either, which I can understand.