Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Asahi pentax microscope adapter ii

Does anyone have the manual for the ASAHI PENTAX MICROSCOPE ADAPTER II (m42 mount)? I bought one at auction. I've now seen a listing for a second one, and from the photos it looks like it has a piece that didn't come with mine. If anyone can either send me photos of all the pieces or has the manual that would be fantastic.

01-06-2016, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi. See if you can find the book: The pentax way by herbert Keppler as a pdf online. Pages 199 through to 201 has the adapter in my book. Or send me a message with your email and I'll photograph the pages for you. I'm assuming the microscope adapter in my book is the first version. My adapter only fits onto my equally old microscope. All the other more recent microscopes that I have come across have different width eye pieces.
01-06-2016, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Does anyone have the manual for the ASAHI PENTAX MICROSCOPE ADAPTER II (m42 mount)? I bought one at auction. I've now seen a listing for a second one, and from the photos it looks like it has a piece that didn't come with mine. If anyone can either send me photos of all the pieces or has the manual that would be fantastic.
I have the K Series version, see picture, with the manual. I also have the screw-mount booklet for the original version and version I.

All have three parts:

1) Main tube with camera mount. (Black)
2) Fastener tube with knob. (Silver)
3) Light sealing tube. (Fits inside)

Let me know if you need any more pictures.

Phil.
Attached Images

01-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Phil and Bob.

I have the same 3 pieces that you list. Here are photos of the one I bought (top image) and the one I just saw (lower image). It may just be a trick of the eye, but the lower one looks like it has a second piece inside the main tube. Is it just supposed to be a hollow tube, or might I be missing the optics?

Mine

Other

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 11:10 PM ----------

Ok, I found the manual for the K version online, and I see that you put the microscope eyepiece into the main tube. It still has me wondering why these two images look so different

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D1X  Photo   
01-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the same 3 pieces that you list. Here are photos of the one I bought (top image) and the one I just saw (lower image). It may just be a trick of the eye, but the lower one looks like it has a second piece inside the main tube. Is it just supposed to be a hollow tube, or might I be missing the optics?
That looks similar to mine. I also have three pieces. I'm assuming I have version 1 microscope adapter
01-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nope, version II
01-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Phil and Bob.

Mine

Other

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 11:10 PM ----------

Ok, I found the manual for the K version online, and I see that you put the microscope eyepiece into the main tube. It still has me wondering why these two images look so different
It's possible the second photo has the microscope eye-piece still left in the adapter???

Phil.

01-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That does seem possible. I was going to email the seller out of concern for what I had bought, but maybe I'll now do so to find out what it is he's got. Wouldn't that be interesting to pick up a microscope eyepiece as a bonus item, even if you had no use for it.
01-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait... the microscope eyepiece goes inside the tube??? That explains why I've never gotten mine to work properly!
01-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Wait... the microscope eyepiece goes inside the tube??? That explains why I've never gotten mine to work properly!
Yes and you secure it with the knob on the silver part.

Phil.

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 09:27 PM ----------

That does seem possible. I was going to email the seller out of concern for what I had bought, but maybe I'll now do so to find out what it is he's got. Wouldn't that be interesting to pick up a microscope eyepiece as a bonus item, even if you had no use for it.
Yeah the microscope eye-piece may have slipped into the bottom of the tube, near the camera mount.

Phil.
01-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think all the necessary info has been given, but just in case. When I had the M42 microscope adapter it had three pieces: 1) silvery colored section with a thumb-screw to clamp onto the microscope upper tube; 2) M42 piece, black, that had a breech-lock connection to the silvery piece = rotate a ring on the silvery piece to lock camera + M42 piece into place; and 3) a tube with internal anti-reflective baffling and coating that replaced the microscope eyepiece when using direct projection rather than eyepiece projection. The latter piece, if missing, is not absolutely necessary although internal reflections, if present, will cause flare/halation that reduces contrast and color saturation.

BTW: I use several microscope objectives for high magnification micro/macro and always use direct projection = no eyepiece. You can leave the eyepiece in place and use eyepiece projection but light transmission is drastically reduced making it extremely difficult to focus and IQ is IMHO poor. However, eyepiece projection gives higher magnification using the same objective, generally much higher than you need.
01-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok. Good to know the eyepiece isn't crucial. Great thread. Now I have some experimenting to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
BTW: I use several microscope objectives for high magnification micro/macro and always use direct projection = no eyepiece. You can leave the eyepiece in place and use eyepiece projection but light transmission is drastically reduced making it extremely difficult to focus and IQ is IMHO poor. However, eyepiece projection gives higher magnification using the same objective, generally much higher than you need.
01-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Ok. Good to know the eyepiece isn't crucial. Great thread. Now I have some experimenting to do.
Other advice. Use the LOWEST POWER objective, preferably 4X or 5X ("scanning") before trying something like a 10X objective. Using a 4X a deer tick will almost completely fill an APS-C frame. DEPTH OF FIELD IS CELLOPHANE-SHEET THIN EVEN AT 4X. For best results, you should used focus stacking. Start with something simple, such as the edge of a torn bit of paper or some salt or pepper grains to get an idea of lighting and focus/DOF limitations & problems. ALSO, as with cheap zoom lenses versus premium SFL lenses, there are major differences in the quality of microscope objectives and the best ones cost big bucks. Don't expect a student-grade B&L or AO Spencer to give the resolution, contrast and color of an a Nikon Plan APO, or even an old Zeiss Luminar.