Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Question about the QR on Vanguard ball heads

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It appears that the ball head included in the Alta Pro "kit" tripods is NOT Arca-Swiss compatible - is this correct?

Is it possible to remove the QR clamp part and attach a different, Arca-swiss compatible clamp?

Thanks.

01-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hard to say whether an AS plate will fit in place of the Vanguard oem QR plate or not, the clamp portion looks a lot like an AS clamp. Why don't you try mounting an AS plate on the head? If it isn't compatible, you can buy this: Clamp FOR Quick Release Plate Compatible Arca Swiss Tripod Ball Head QR50 | eBay and mount it on the Vanguard QR plate to get AS compatibility.
01-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Hard to say whether an AS plate will fit in place of the Vanguard oem QR plate or not, the clamp portion looks a lot like an AS clamp. Why don't you try mounting an AS plate on the head? If it isn't compatible, you can buy this: Clamp FOR Quick Release Plate Compatible Arca Swiss Tripod Ball Head QR50 | eBay and mount it on the Vanguard QR plate to get AS compatibility.
That's what I was trying to ask - Reviews say the plate that comes with the SBH-100 is bigger than an AS plate. I'm assuming the clamp part just unscrews from the ball stem, just trying to confirm that before buying.

Thanks!
01-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
It appears that the ball head included in the Alta Pro "kit" tripods is NOT Arca-Swiss compatible - is this correct?

Is it possible to remove the QR clamp part and attach a different, Arca-swiss compatible clamp?

Thanks.
Vanguard tripods are not Acra-Swiss compatible. I have Alta Pro 263AB and it will not take a Acra-Swiss plates. I use this as a lightweight travel tripod so me this is not an issue. In my opinion this is the single biggest downfall of these tripods.

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 01-08-2016 at 05:40 PM.
01-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Vanguard tripods are Acra-Swiss compatible.
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I have Alta Pro 263AB and it will not take a Acra-Swiss plates.
You are contradicting yourself...
01-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Older version of the Vanguard ball heads are not Arca compatible. I believe that the latest versions are. This all seemed to change after right after I got my Vanguard ball heads. The heads themselves are smooth and work well for me
01-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
I got more info from Vanguard. The SBH heads are NOT arca-compatible. But, the QR plate-clamp-thingy-part that attaches to the ball is removable via an Allen head screw. So you can put on an Arca-compatible plate-clamp-doohickey of your choice.

Or you could do what I think I'm going to do after all this, and buy a Sirui, with (they claim) arca-compatibility out of the box.