Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the Mountainsmith Borealis AT. It's discontinued but still available. I haven't tried the new version, the Borealis, but bought a second Borealis AT.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Borealis-AT-Camera-Pack/dp/B004K83VAE

Edit : my apologies, I just checked the usual sources and it looks like the AT has finally sold out.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 01-11-2016 at 03:24 PM.
01-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I would go with a bag from Clik elite or F stop. Can't beat them for comfort. Clik Elite | B&H Photo Video
Clik Elite Camera Backpacks | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama
ø f-stop || Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - +1.253.236.0070 ø
I have the clik elite ones, just because they fit my frame better than the f-stop ones.

The escape from clik is fantastic. Not that much space for personal items, but still space (lot of times enough for me). Clik Elite Escape Backpack (Black) CE705BK B&H Photo Video
If needed more space for personal stuff, the the Venture bags are very good. The harness can be adjusted in about every direction possible (I have the 30, and it is my everyday bag) Clik Elite Venture 30 Backpack CE709GR B&H Photo Video Clik Elite Venture 35 Backpack CE710GR B&H Photo Video
You cpuld combine them with a chest pack (it's clicks on the backpack itself). Then you always have a camera at the ready Clik Elite Telephoto SLR Chest Carrier CE704GR B&H Photo Video Clik Elite Standard SLR Chest Carrier CE702GR B&H Photo Video
Thanks, that was helpful.
03-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
Thanks, that was helpful.
I might be a little late with my suggestion, but I recommend you check out ULYSSES bags. They're made in Japan from Italian leather and high quality components. Built to last a lifetime.

I have one of their smaller bags and it's nothing short of fantastic. Great for when you're travelling light.
03-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Lowepro Flipside 200 and a Tumbuk2 Snoop. Both are good for a shoot outside like a bike race or a parade but if I'm going on a hike where I need to carry lunch, clothing, and food/water then I use a real outdoors pack from Deuter or Kelty. Depending on what I bring I'll use Neoprene wraps, bag inserts, and stuff like that as well as wearing a camera on my Black Rapid sport strap to keep handy. My tripod can usually go on the side in the compression straps or in the ski carry if there is one.

03-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've tried a few bags in my time, and I was a fan of LowePro's Slingshot bags, until these starting to become too much to carry on one shoulder. Even with the belt strap, my last 300 was too much. Partly because my kit evolved, but also because of me not getting any younger... Still "only" in my 40ies though.

I've settled on the Manfrotto (ex-Kata) Pro-Light 3N1-35 now. This can sling as required for fast access (both sides) and can be converted to a proper backpack as well. Any straps not in use can be tucked away. On a flight I often tuck away *all* straps when I put the bag in the overhead compartment, just to avoid the straps catching onto another bag that someone might take out before I get to my bag...

The side access to the main compartment opens in one move and can be securely closed. The inside dividers tend to sag a bit more than with other bags, but that's maybe because I tend to load more because of more space compared to previous bags?

It has ample extra pockets on the outside (for lens caps, batteries, cards), and a roomy top compartment for various stuff. On the back it also fits a large laptop if needed, though I mostly put travel papers in there.

For all weather is comes with a rain cover that has a black (water repellent) and a reflective side (for use under a baking sun).

The tripod attachment is well thought out and can cope with large tripods. But I don't like it too much (it's a separate attachment), and prefer to carry my tripod in a separate tripod bag.

Not saying it's any better than alternative, but you might have a look at this bag as well...

hth, Wim