Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 62
Camera Bags

Hi Gang,

What sort of outdoor adventure camera bags do you guys use? I end up going on a hike or two each month and I want a backpack that can carry the camera also some other stuff I need while I'm out.

Thanks,

G

01-08-2016, 12:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian
furryurry's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 784
I carry my Kata KT DR-466 DL Rucksack Backpack with me everywhere.

Kata KT Dr 466 DL Rucksack DSLR Camera Bag Black Brand New Fast SHIP | eBay
01-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #3
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 17,528
I rarely use dedicated camera bags for hikes. Still haven't found any that are anywhere near as comfortable as a "proper" backpack. Instead I use a cheap padded camera bag insert for that backpack. Not necessarily the best if you're in the "I need quick access to my gear" camp, but I have found it to be by far the most comfortable way of carrying gear on a hike.

Something like this: Waterproof Camera Insert Partition Padded Bag Divider Case for DSLR SLR Lens | eBay

You can get them in different sizes.
01-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dayton, OH
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,591
I own the FastPack 350 from LowePro. Slip your right arm out of the strap and it slips around front with easy side access to your camera. It holds a laptop but I use the space to store papers and other flat items.

Lowepro FastPack 350 Backpacks Reviews - Cambags

The Cambags.com website in the link above has reviews on many of the major bags available.

Tim

01-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 10,210
I've tried a lot of bags, cases, etc. in my almost 50 years of photography. I've never found one just right....and probably never will. My latest, greatest bags are a couple of Domke F2 Original bags. One olive green, one black. I colour code my camera equipment...my K10D/Km bodies go in the green bag....my K5 into the black bag. Along with assorted equipment.

I really like the Domkes. Solid, well made, easy to use...no multitudes of zippers...or cheap clips that I've found on my other make bags. I find them easy to swing onto my shoulder and very comfortable.

But that's just me.

I didn't like my backpack camera bags....I found I had to be very careful or stuff would fall out of the bag. Not good at all. I like a bag that you can set down...that you open only from the top....as this way, for me, stuff does not come out, unless I make a choice to get it out.

I think my Domke's are weather resistant, but if they aren't it makes little difference to me. I always carry a heavy duty green garbage bag...in a bag pocket...at the ready to slip over if I'm caught in a downpour. Unsophisticated, but effective.

I always...always...supplement the padding, by using little soft, but dense sponges that I cut up and stick in compartments to support the equipment. Keeps everything tight and absorbs vibration/shock to a certain degree.
01-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 17,528
I, too, prefer a shoulder bag on a walk as I find the accessibility much better than with backpacks, even dedicated photo backpacks. But I can't see myself going on a hike with a shoulder bag.
01-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 62
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I, too, prefer a shoulder bag on a walk as I find the accessibility much better than with backpacks, even dedicated photo backpacks. But I can't see myself going on a hike with a shoulder bag.
I think for me personally a shoulder bag is out of the question. I need a dedicated backpack that can carry few camera equipment.

01-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 17,528
QuoteOriginally posted by dahabit Quote
I think for me personally a shoulder bag is out of the question. I need a dedicated backpack that can carry few camera equipment.
Definitely. The problem is finding one that is good enough to carry for a lengthy hike - and has sufficient room for other stuff as well. Which is why I have settled for a "real" backpack with a padded insert instead.

Hope someone can help you find a good one, though. I'd be interested, too.
01-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
lmd91343's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 795
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've tried a lot of bags, cases, etc. in my almost 50 years of photography. I've never found one just right....and probably never will. My latest, greatest bags are a couple of Domke F2 Original bags. One olive green, one black. I colour code my camera equipment...my K10D/Km bodies go in the green bag....my K5 into the black bag. Along with assorted equipment.

I really like the Domkes. Solid, well made, easy to use...no multitudes of zippers...or cheap clips that I've found on my other make bags. I find them easy to swing onto my shoulder and very comfortable.

But that's just me.

I didn't like my backpack camera bags....I found I had to be very careful or stuff would fall out of the bag. Not good at all. I like a bag that you can set down...that you open only from the top....as this way, for me, stuff does not come out, unless I make a choice to get it out.

I think my Domke's are weather resistant, but if they aren't it makes little difference to me. I always carry a heavy duty green garbage bag...in a bag pocket...at the ready to slip over if I'm caught in a downpour. Unsophisticated, but effective.

I always...always...supplement the padding, by using little soft, but dense sponges that I cut up and stick in compartments to support the equipment. Keeps everything tight and absorbs vibration/shock to a certain degree.
X2

I could have written that word for word.

I have had an F2 for years that I use if I take out two cameras or one camera and lots of lenses. If I take one camera with only an extra lens or two I take the F6 model. The F6 is that cool looking waxed waterproof canvas and the F6 is heavy canvas. Neither has leaked water in many rainstorms. However I rewax the F6 every couple of years.

Everything about these products shows quality in craftsmanship and materials. The additional features like the anti-slip rubber sewn in the strap, the thick reinforcement straps sewn around the bag, the multiple, replaceable interior configuration modules (I have 2 for the F6 & 3 for the F2), the upside down zippered compartment in the cover, and the form fitting nature of the bag.
01-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Grippy's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 816
I usually just have my camera on my sling strap so don't have to fumble about to get it out and ready and miss a good animal pic or something. I carry a normal Nike backpack with extra lenses in stubby holders, food, water, wallet etc. It works out comfortable, convenient and fairly light.
01-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,983
I have the LowePro Flipside 400 AW. It is great. I put my Sigma 150-500 with Pentax K-5IIS on it in the pack along with another lens and camera body, plus batteries, charger, and other smaller accessories. I have carried it with me travelling and it fits easily under the seat in front of me (airplane). It is very comfortable to hike with and is padded inside. Extra storage compartments are located on the top and back. The price on Amazon is presently $56.24 plus $6.49 shipping. It also is weather resistant. It has zippers that are located on the part of the pack that is not accessible from behind you to avoid unwanted access. They are next to the cushion that rests on your back. Very accomodating and stylish pack.
01-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 495
Still Tamrac for me

Not a pro or anything near it but have been a fan of Tamrac for some time. A lot of price and styles to choose from. I have an older Expedition 6x that I have had for a long time. It is not heavily used but great for transportation all the gear you could possibly need. I keep my gear store in it while at home. Hold camera body with 60-250 attached, Metz 58AF2 flash, 16-50, 1.4 TC, 55 1.4, 100 Macro, 10-17, straps, batteries, chargers and other stuff. More than you would want on a long hike but you can always unload some gear. It is one of there bags I have and none have ever experienced a failure. It is mostly personal preference as there is much good stuff out there.
01-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 62
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the LowePro Flipside 400 AW. It is great. I put my Sigma 150-500 with Pentax K-5IIS on it in the pack along with another lens and camera body, plus batteries, charger, and other smaller accessories. I have carried it with me travelling and it fits easily under the seat in front of me (airplane). It is very comfortable to hike with and is padded inside. Extra storage compartments are located on the top and back. The price on Amazon is presently $56.24 plus $6.49 shipping. It also is weather resistant. It has zippers that are located on the part of the pack that is not accessible from behind you to avoid unwanted access. They are next to the cushion that rests on your back. Very accomodating and stylish pack.
Holy Cow, on Amazon.ca it's currently $217.
01-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,983
They also have it at B and H for approximately $99: Flipside 400 aw | B&H Photo Video

The lower price on Amazon seems to be from Chinese dealers.

I bought mine for approximately 90-100 dollars US. It is really worth it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-10-2016 at 08:31 AM.
01-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,347
I would go with a bag from Clik elite or F stop. Can't beat them for comfort. Clik Elite | B&H Photo Video
Clik Elite Camera Backpacks | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama
f-stop || Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - +1.253.236.0070
I have the clik elite ones, just because they fit my frame better than the f-stop ones.

The escape from clik is fantastic. Not that much space for personal items, but still space (lot of times enough for me). Clik Elite Escape Backpack (Black) CE705BK B&H Photo Video
If needed more space for personal stuff, the the Venture bags are very good. The harness can be adjusted in about every direction possible (I have the 30, and it is my everyday bag) Clik Elite Venture 30 Backpack CE709GR B&H Photo Video Clik Elite Venture 35 Backpack CE710GR B&H Photo Video
You cpuld combine them with a chest pack (it's clicks on the backpack itself). Then you always have a camera at the ready Clik Elite Telephoto SLR Chest Carrier CE704GR B&H Photo Video Clik Elite Standard SLR Chest Carrier CE702GR B&H Photo Video
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bags, camera
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamrac bags 30% off at Roberts Camera shuber Pentax Price Watch 3 01-26-2015 09:22 PM
Camera bags again. derekkite Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 11-05-2013 11:27 PM
Camera Bags - decent manufacturers? edgedemon Photographic Industry and Professionals 20 08-24-2013 05:39 PM
Newb to camera bags need help RollsUp Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 05-16-2008 12:20 PM
Unusual camera bags (+11 imgs) hinman Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 09-07-2007 06:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top