Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

comfortable and safe camera strap

I have a K-3ii and my heaviest lens is my Pentax DA* 60-250 4.0 lens. I have neck and shoulder pain all the time (fibromyalgia) and the strap that comes with the camera is so uncomfortable that I'm in an extreme amount of pain after carrying my camera for a while. I've looked at so many different straps with reviews. The sling ones that attach to only one point on the camera make me nervous (either the tripod connection or one strap loop), but I'm not finding much else that would help solve my problem. Here is a list of them:
Black Rapid
Indigo Marble
Fastfire
Custom
Peak Design
Carry Speed FS-Pro
Luma Labs Cinch
Matin Comfort
Pentax Padded
If anyone has used any of these or has any other suggestions please let me know. I really need to get something else. Thanks for any information you provide.

01-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Op/Tech sling strap. You add a tripod plate to the bottom then attach one connector to that and the other to the left camera lug.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling

01-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Those plastic clips could be a weak point. Make mine metal, please.

I use a cheapie - a Case Logic cross-body shoulder strap straight off the Walmart shelves - and it works well for me, but I'm the first to admit that I only use it with primes and short, light zooms (e.g. FA28-90) on my M and P series film bodies. I put a Spotmatic with a normal prime on it once, but I've never tried it with a heavy, long zoom.
01-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Op/Tech sling strap. You add a tripod plate to the bottom then attach one connector to that and the other to the left camera lug.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
What make of tripod plate do you use?

LoneWolf

01-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This discussion may be of some help:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/308067...de-clutch.html
01-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have spent consecutive days hiking or street walking with my relatively heavy Pentax 645 and 35mm prime, plus 75mm prime, spare batteries, 120 film, etc. What works best for me is at least a 2" width neoprene standard 2 point camera strap like the one mentioned in #2 OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Uni Loop (Black) 1001062 B&H

The neoprene gives and makes the camera/lens a lot lighter. In addition, I have found wearing one of those nerdy photographer's vests helpful in distributing the weight instead of using a camera bag, a lot more accessible than a sling bag, and with slightly padded shoulders and neck area, aid in reducing fatigue.

My main issue with any of the single point systems is that the camera becomes more of a pendulum and feels heavier to me as it swings. I like that system if you hold your camera constantly, so it's more of a tether, but then that's not going to do your wrists and arms a lot of good with your situation as it takes the center of gravity of the weight away from your core and can worsen back pain as well. Also I think your lens is not big or heavy enough to warrant a lens strap.
01-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used a Sun-Sniper sling strap, attached to tripod mount with the Joby Ultraplate, for the last 4+ years. Absolutely NO problems with it working itself loose. I can mount the camera straight on to my Arca-Swiss tripod head with the strap still attached.

Sun-Sniper has shock absorption integrated into the strap, along with a steel cable to deter cut & run theft.

I have used it with my DA40 XS all the way up to a Tamron 70-200 & Sigma 50-500.

You can purchase a belt mounted clip from Sun-Sniper (or just use a carabiner) to keep the strap and camera from swinging around uncontrolled (via belt/belt loop) during hiking/walking or between active shooting.

Honestly, the only time I have removed the strap from the camera was when I added the Ultraplate!

Just another note: I have been on disability for the last 13 years due to two back surgeries. I have been fused from L4-S1 since 2004. I also have permanent and active nerve damage in both legs and feet. So while I am unable to undertake epic backcountry adventures here in Colorado, the small jaunts and hiking trails that I am able to take advantage of, are made eminently more comfortable by using the Sun-Sniper sling strap.

Last edited by K(s)evin; 01-10-2016 at 11:33 AM.
01-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

I have the DA*300mm which weighs about the same as the 60-250. Frankly, it worries me to carry it on the camera by the camera strap alone because of the stress on the camera mount. If I don't have the camera and lens on a tripod attached to the lens tripod mount, I generally support it with my hand even if it is on a strap around my neck.
01-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #9

Have a black rapid and I love it. Same camera and lens (60-250) with no issues. I do double check the tightness of the screw and the clip pretty often but have never had an issue.
01-11-2016, 06:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Op/Tech
+1 for Op/Tech. The best I've seen and used.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Those plastic clips could be a weak point.
Metal isn't necessarily sturdier, that's just a perception. It depends on the type of metal, how it's machined or molded, its purity. the same applies for plastic.

Those plastic clips are strong enough to bear a few pounds of weight without blinking...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I have a K-3ii and my heaviest lens is my Pentax DA* 60-250 4.0 lens.
Mine to. the Op/tech system is fantastic, and sturdy enough, to carry it with only one clip attached.
01-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Metal isn't necessarily sturdier, that's just a perception. It depends on the type of metal, how it's machined or molded, its purity. the same applies for plastic
My understanding is that the problem with plastics is that they fracture immediately if pushed beyond their yield point; metal "fails gracefully" and bends/stretches before it breaks.
01-11-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My understanding is that the problem with plastics is that they fracture immediately if pushed beyond their yield point; metal "fails gracefully" and bends/stretches before it breaks.
I have yet to have a plastic clip snap or break after decades of usage in extreme conditions. The only exception was a cheap plastic quick mounting release plate on a monopod with a 600mm lens and camera. Too much weight and torque=disaster.
But on camera straps, most metal clips will oxidize, seize closed in freezing conditions, expand in extreme heat, tough on skin in extreme temperatures.
Yes metal bends, but that's a problem with connecting clips where it bends to dysfunction. The right type of plastic keeps its form unless abused, and then will break.
01-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote

bingo - and nevermind the plastics clips: if you get into the situation that one or both of them give up the ghost, it's probably because a croc has a hold of your camera and you'll be glad when they fail....

(:
01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about a Cotton Carrier vest?

Cotton Carrier Camera Vest for Regular Cameras (Black) 600-CCV

I use a Crumpler strap around my neck (but am thinking about switching to Cotton Carrier occasionally when I'm carrying heavier lenses):

Used Crumpler Industry Disgrace Camera Strap IDE002-B00000 B&H
01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is incorrect. It depends on the actual material, generic statements like "plastics will fracture immediately" do not consider the actual materials involved. Some plastics will fracture, some will morph and bend and never actually break. Same with metals, some will bend under pressure, some will fracture and break quickly. "Plastic" is a very generic name and covers cheap plastic wrap to straps designed to lift 1,000's of pounds.

Regardless, plastic quick disconnects have been around for a long time and are used in a lot of applications. The strength of the material used is engineered to meet the application. Here is a catalog of QD buckles, check the tested break strength, I looked at a few similar to those used by Op/Tech and found listed break strengths from 41 pounds to 300 pounds. www.plastic-buckle.com

I often carry the k-3 and DA*60-250 all day on mine without even a thought of a failure of a buckle.