Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 04:20 AM   #16
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a good used Manfrotto 055 solved all my tripod issues.... solid, sturdy, simple, I can pack it in just about anywhere if I want to....

no, it's not a fancy carbon-fiber model that collapses down to the size of a 1/2 liter water bottle, but it serves me just fine, from a K-3 with a 50mm prime all the way up to my A400.....

01-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Great advice on this thread already!

A couple of points: 1.) As Interested Observer mentions, extra height that comes from a center column is probably wasted, but longer legs can help with set-up options when you're on uneven terrain. 2.) As Kath mentions, going with the Arca-Swiss standard right out of the gate is a wise choice, but if you're drawn to "geared heads" like the Manfrotto 410 (which is a great, affordable option for landscape/macro) there are a lot of ways of adapting the 410 to accept an A/S quick release system, ranging from simply bolting an A/S clamp on the Manfrotto plate to the "retro-engineering" that Chris Hejnar provides:

405/410 Gear Head

Last edited by CreationBear; 01-11-2016 at 07:02 AM.
01-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wasn't sure which of the mentioned Manfrottos you were now leaning toward, and I don't mean to talk you out of anything. But, to put another option on the table, you can get a new Desmond DFC-432 carbon fibre tripod (legs) for under $200. I'm enjoying mine. comes with both long and short center column, and one leg detaches to become a working monopod.
01-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Wasn't sure which of the mentioned Manfrottos you were now leaning toward, and I don't mean to talk you out of anything. But, to put another option on the table, you can get a new Desmond DFC-432 carbon fibre tripod (legs) for under $200. I'm enjoying mine. comes with both long and short center column, and one leg detaches to become a working monopod.
Thanks. I'll look at that. I know they are just legs so I'll have a hard time figuring out what head to get. hahaha

I have been leaning towards the "Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate" I'm about 80% sure that is what I'll get. It runs 275$ so its not too bad and looks like its the only one I will need for quite a while until I become a "master photographer" hahaha (yeah right...maybe) lol

(CORRECTION) It is 380$ but a sale I found today it was 275$. --I put it on my wish list on Amazon yesterday at 379 and today it had it posted as a 21% off sale with 2 left in stock so I jumped on it. 🤑

Last edited by Heavenly Creation; 01-11-2016 at 01:46 PM.
01-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heavenly Creation Quote
Thanks. I'll look at that. I know they are just legs so I'll have a hard time figuring out what head to get. hahaha

I have been leaning towards the "Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate" I'm about 80% sure that is what I'll get. It runs 275$ so its not too bad and looks like its the only one I will need for quite a while until I become a "master photographer" hahaha (yeah right...maybe) lol

(CORRECTION) It is 380$ but a sale I found today it was 275$. --I put it on my wish list on Amazon yesterday at 379 and today it had it posted as a 21% off sale with 2 left in stock so I jumped on it. 🤑
I guess my point is that you can get a set of new carbon fibre legs (I negotiated mine down to $175) and then still have up to $100 for a nice ball head, and perhaps have a nicer tripod setup than the one you are thinking of. Check it out and see....
01-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H still has the Auctus plus 283at for a good price; it's a pretty beefy tripod but not light (those being relatively mutually exclusive).

A great deal on ball heads is the Desmond DB-44, basically a rebadged SunwayFoto. Arca compatible, which I agree is a must. Desmond also makes other clamps and plates which I've found to be of great quality at good prices. OEC Camera is great to do business with, BTW, and they sell a lot of Desmond stuff at Amazon or eBay.

Another great bit of their kit is the SCV flip kit; it's some simple hardware that allows you to flip your ballhead. This means you can use the panning base part of your ballhead at an angle, instead of only horizontal. Tripod Accessories, see "scv."
01-11-2016, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a fine set up that will do you well and last you a long time. I have the carbon fiber equivalent of those legs. It is hard to do better. I have had several Manfrotto heads and I have been very, very happy with. The style of QR release is good too. You can purchase "L" brackets and simple plates for it that will work just fine. I have used those for over 15 years with macro bellows, 400mm Canon(with 1.4 & 2.0 tele exes), 300mm Canon, 300mm Pentax, 400mm Pentax, and a 500mm Russian lens. My current head on that 'pod is the 468MGRC2. Manfrotto makes excellent gear. I have bought multiple heads and 'pods from them.

01-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I received my Manfrotto MK055XPRO3 tripod today. I like it. It's nice and sturdy and easy to use.

Definitely the right call, atleast for me, and the right price. I do think spiked feet would come in handy at some point. I am guessing there are add ons that can be gotten.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!
01-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely the right call, atleast for me, and the right price. I do think spiked feet would come in handy at some point. I am guessing there are add ons that can be gotten.
Manfrotto sells (or at least they used to) a set of feet with spikes. I have them on mine.

Here you go: Amazon.com : Manfrotto 204SPK3 Retractable Rubber Spiked Feet for 055CX3/055CXPRO3 (Set of 3) : Camera & Photo

Also, one thing I have done is apply a very light coat of wax on the legs. Just sprayed some wax on a cloth and I wipe them down occasionally. Keeps them clean, and sliding smoothly.
01-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Looks like I'm late to the party here, but I think you made a good choice. If you need a tripod for the types of things you like to shoot, investing in a good one is like investing in a great lens...it can give you decades of return on your money.
01-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received my Manfrotto MK055XPRO3 tripod today. I like it. It's nice and sturdy and easy to use.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!
Enjoy!

That tripod will last you many years. It will service your needs well when you become a "master photographer". You won't need a new one. If you move up to using a large format user. You may need a bigger tripod.

Like Jatrax said, you can get manfrotto retractable spiked feet for your tripod, but be careful. There are different ones for carbon vs. aluminum and 3 section legs vs. 4 section legs.
01-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
I looked at the spiked feet they have for sale and I think I may just design an attachment spike for the legs since I can print them out and the just strap or screw over the legs. It will be more time consuming designing them but the satisfaction I will get from not paying for made ones is worth the time. ha

Unfortunately my 3D Scanner doesn't arrive for a month or two so it makes it a bit more challenging.
01-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked at the spiked feet they have for sale and I think I may just design an attachment spike for the legs since I can print them out and the just strap or screw over the legs.
Have fun The Manfrotto ones stay on all the time and the rubber tips screw down to cover the spikes. So to use the spikes you screw UP the rubber tips. Make sure you have the spikes off or covered before using on hard wood floors. Do not ask how I know that
01-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I'd use it a while before going to the trouble of making spikes for it. I rarely feel the need for them. For me, like jatrax's experience, the chance of doing damage outweighs the benefits of having them.
01-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'd use it a while before going to the trouble of making spikes for it. I rarely feel the need for them. For me, like jatrax's experience, the chance of doing damage outweighs the benefits of having them.
^^^ You got that right! I thought they would be needed and ordered them with the legs. I can say the only time I have ever actually used them (intentionally ) was on asphalt in a parking lot. And even then, not really necessary.