Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Help me choose a CPL - what should I get?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I am going to get a CPL for my main lens (Sigma 18-50 2.8).

While browsing around I came across a wide variety of filters that range from a couple bucks to over a hundred.

I don't want to buy junk, however I don't want to spend big money if I don't really have to.

The size I need is 72mm

What would be a good filter to get and what is the main difference between these:

HOYA Filtre 72mm 72 CPL Circular Cir-Polarizing Filter - (eBay.ca item 290241199499 end time 01-Jul-08 16:02:04 EDT)

CPL Circular Polarizer / Polarizing Lens Filter 72mm 72 - (eBay.ca item 380040610892 end time 02-Jul-08 00:37:56 EDT)

Kenko 72mm Pro1 Digital WB Circular Pol Filter Hoya CPL - (eBay.ca item 380042001101 end time 06-Jul-08 21:58:29 EDT)

Ultra SUPER Slim Pro 72mm CPL Circular PL Filter NEW - (eBay.ca item 140244773164 end time 03-Jul-08 23:27:07 EDT)

Hoya 72mm SUPER HMC Circular Polarizing Filter 72 CPL - (eBay.ca item 320268653188 end time 05-Jul-08 20:43:31 EDT)

Thanks in advance.... I appreciate your help!

D.

07-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I finally gave up choosing the "best" CPL for one particular lense. Instead, I purchased the Cokin CPL along with adapters for my various landscape lenses (49mm, 62mm, 72mm, 77mm). This way, I've covered 4 bases with one polarizer. So far I've very pleased with the results. I leave the CPL pre mounted in the holder (the thin version) and simply slide holder and CPL onto the adapter. It's very fast.
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Here's a good thread.
Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page - Forums
07-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just ordered a Hoya Pro 1 D 58mm for my Pentax 55-300, always found the Hoya Pro brand very good, if a little tricky to clean when necessary

simon

07-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Ed in GA

I'd suggest the Hoya Pro1 D. It's multi-coated and thin.

I've switched everything I have 52mm and above to the Pro1 D filter series.

Unfortunately, Hoya doesn't have the Pro1 D below 52mm or I'd have Pro1 D UV's and a CPL for all of my 49mm lens.

The Filter Connection .. Camera Filters The Filter Connection 2filter.com for Hoya HD filters, Hoya Pro 1, Tiffen HT, Tiffen 4x4 Camera Filters, B+W filters and Canon Inks is a good source.

If you have time to wait, a couple of weeks, try hvstar hvStar.com >>>Photo, Digital, Video Game ON SALE (MaxSaver; BestEastern; hkDirect; hvPhoto). Even with shipping from Honk Kong, their prices on Hoya CPL's is very competitive.
07-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Why is there such a difference in price between the different filters?

How can there be a $3.00 filter and a $100.00 filter.

(Not that I would want a $3.00 filter.... )

D.
07-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am no expert, having only bought some cheap second-hand filters. But I've been researching in preparation for getting some CPL and have read many threads here and elsewhere. Here is a summary of the accumulated wisdom I've encountered.

Do not buy an uncoated or a mono-coated filter. These are too likely to degrade image quality by flaring or otherwise. It's too easy for reflections to occur between the filter and the front glass element unless both are multi-coated.

Recommended manufacturers, in increasing order of price: Tiffen, Hoya/Kenko, B+W, Heliopan. For those without a fortune to spend the Hoya are a good compromise, but confusingly they have many different models. Buy only those designated "HMC", which means multi-coated. These are also front-threaded so you can attach another filter if need be. The "Hoya HMC" have 3 layers of coating and are 9mm thick. The superior "Super HMC PRO1" have 6 layers and are only 5mm thick. Some say to avoid the "PRO1 Digital DMC" which have 3 layers at 5mm, but I'm not entirely sure why.

The "B+W F-Pro MRC" are front-threaded, have a brass mount (not plastic) and are made in Germany. Heliopan are rare and insanely priced so I'd forget them.

Last edited by rparmar; 07-02-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: whoops! missed half the content
07-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
Why is there such a difference in price between the different filters?

How can there be a $3.00 filter and a $100.00 filter.

(Not that I would want a $3.00 filter.... )

D.
The first ebay-offerings you quote are simple, uncoated filters! Simply, because any seller and manufacturer would obviously state a multi-coating. Uncoated CPL means: 4 glass-air surfaces and a severs light loss, loss of contrast and a high risk of heavy reflections. I find it simply disgusting, that the seller quotes the Hoya ymbols for DMC - but sells another line of filters, which do not have this coating in this auction.

The same is true for the "Protama" filter. No multi-coating and not even a single coating on all the cheapo filters.

The only modell in your selection, which is a decent offer is the Kenko Pro 1 Digital. It is exactly the same filter as the Hoya brand with the same designation. "Hoya" is the international tradename and "Kenko" is used inside Japan domestically.

read-up a bit about nojn-coated versus single coated and multi-coated filters and you will immediately understand the advantages of the latter.

Also, take into account, that the cheap Chinese filters use more or less window glass. That introduces a colour shift (there are numerous reviews on the net) and also degrades the image visibly. Whereas Hoya (at least the top-line filters), B+W, Heliopan filters are all made from optical glass, which is mechanically polished, quite like a camera lens.

Ben
07-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Fantastic info!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

D.