Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 II Wired Remote

I have a wired remote that I used to use on my K5. I think it's the Hama brand if I remember correctly. I noticed yesterday when trying to use it on the K-3 II though it no longer works. When pressing the button it initiates autofocus but does not fire the shutter.

Any ideas? Is it simply that I need a newer model?

Also, does anyone use a fancy wired remote with interval, delayed shooting, etc with the K-3 II. It looks like you can get a number of cheap versions of what look like Canon/Nikon rip-offs like the Yongnuo but again I don't know if they're compatible with the K-3 II.

01-18-2016, 03:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar/the very same problem with my Hama remote. It turned out to be a broken soldering of one wire inside the receiver (which I was then able to fix).

If you want a 'fancy' remote, take a look at this one:

Hahnel Innovative Accessories

Compatible products with Giga T Pro II Wireless Timer Remote for CANON.

I have that one and it works fine on my K-3 (and K-5 and K200D) and thus, it should definitely work on your K-3ii as well.

Note, that it is "for Canon" but also compatible with Pentax. Just take care: Canon uses two different connectors for different bodies and the better remotes are usually provided with both connectors. Just be sure that you get the Canon-model with the right, Pentax-compatible connector included.
01-18-2016, 03:36 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I have a wired remote that I used to use on my K5. I think it's the Hama brand if I remember correctly. I noticed yesterday when trying to use it on the K-3 II though it no longer works. When pressing the button it initiates autofocus but does not fire the shutter.

Any ideas? Is it simply that I need a newer model?

Also, does anyone use a fancy wired remote with interval, delayed shooting, etc with the K-3 II. It looks like you can get a number of cheap versions of what look like Canon/Nikon rip-offs like the Yongnuo but again I don't know if they're compatible with the K-3 II.
I use Yongnuo MC-36b it is the model for Canon, it has that small 2.5mm 2 ring jack. Probably the same type of connector that Nokia used to have on early phones for stereo earphones. I think I paid around $20 on ebay. And I use it on K-3 II. Only thing stupid about the remote is that it does not have an off switch, so either you have to remove one battery or dont think about it since that LCD is low power. I was removing the battery at first and then I just stopped caring about it, and it has been 'on' for last 3 months.
01-18-2016, 04:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Rather than mess around with soldering the remote I'm going to grab a Neewer version of that Yongnuo remote from Amazon for 15

01-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Came today. Seems to work fine so far.