Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Vivitar Series 1 Filter Kit issues

So I bought the vivitar series 1 filter kit about a year ago when I was just getting into photography. It came with the circular polarizer and the ND8 filter. The issues I am having is the color for the polarizer seems off regardless of white balance chosen (has a bluish purple tint) and both seem to attract dust like its their business.

My question is, is this what I should expect from a cheap filter set, or am I doing something wrong. Also what can I do to get the dust off? seems like no matter what I use (lens pen, lens cloth, etc) all it does it move the dust around or make it worse.

Finally any recommendations for 77mm filters? My goal is to buy a good set that is one size and adapt it down to the various sizes I need.

Any help is much appreciated.

01-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Although the Series 1 had an excellent reputation, depending on how the filter is manufactured, can and will fade over time. If the first dyes to fade are in the yellow to green spectrum, that would explain why the color balance is off and giving you a blue-purple tint.

As far as dust: You may be more aware of it because of the dark filter shows every spec that lands on it. I would recommend removing any particulates first with a Rocket Blower like a Giottos which are handy for sensor dust removal too:

Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Medium, Black) AA1910

Let gravity and the air from the blower remove the dust or particles and then finish off with an Anti-Static Microfiber cloth:

Kinetronics Soft Microfiber Anti-Static Cloth - 10 x KSASC B&H
01-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Finally any recommendations for 77mm filters? My goal is to buy a good set that is one size and adapt it down to the various sizes I need.
Most manufacturers have different 'grades' of filter. Good, better, best, and often cheap as well. So take care when buying any brand to see which grade you are looking at. That said, Marumi and B+W both have very good reputations, I have both and have not had an issue. The high end Hoya ones are supposed to be good, but caution here because Hoya also makes lots of really cheap junk so make sure you get the right one.

I'm not a big fan of stepping filters (just me) so I've got a CPL for all sizes of glass I carry: 77mm, 67mm, and 49mm. All of my ND stuff is 49mm only since I prefer to just use a prime for that rather than the zooms.