Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hoya ND400X or Cokin with P Series ICE ND1000

I have ordered a Hoya ND400X filter (9 stop) to use with my Pentax K5IIS and Pentax 16-85. I am contemplating possibly returning it and buying a Cokin P series 72 mm adapter ring, Cokin CPB400A P series filter holder, and Cokin P series ICE ND1000 filter (10 stop).

I have read that a Cokin system may cause vignetting at wider angles due to the sides of the holder which I would not want at 16 mm, and that light leaks are possible. But, if those specs are not true/applicable, the being able to slide the filter in and out seems like a good asset.

The Hoya filter on the other hand seems to do the job essentially. Aside from having to screw it on and off between focusing(s) which is not seriously tedious, it seems like a nice tool. The sliding in and out of the filter on the Cokin system seems handy as long as it would have the wide angle capability and not have the faults I have read about.

Both filter/filter systems cost a total of approximately 65 dollars.

I am sort of leaning toward the Hoya right now per its direct application, but the Cokin system seems nice also if it operates without significant flaw(s).

The main reason for interest in filtering is for long exposure daytime shooting w/tripod.

I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks ahead.

01-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used both systems and have the Hoya NDX400. For graduated NDs the Cokin system is preferred as you can easily adjust the horizon. But for a full ND, I much prefer the screw on filter. The Cokin seems (to me) rather fiddly, useful for some things but still fiddly.

As to screwing the filter on and off to focus, just use liveview. You are on a tripod anyway, right? The k-3 (and k-5) focus just fine with the NDX400 on using Liveview.
01-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you Jatrax. I did not know that live view would not be blacked out by the 9 stops of the filter.

Yes, I will be using a tripod (Sirui EN-2004 with Sirui K20X)

I appreciate the valuable information. The ND400X that is on its way (Amazon) is what I will use for the full ND capabilities per your advice and the type shooting I will be doing.

Thanks again for the response.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-20-2016 at 07:08 PM.
01-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I did not know that live view would not be blacked out by the 9 stops of the filter.
It is much dimmer of course, but in any reasonable light I have had no issue with the AF. Or with manual focus using focus peaking.

01-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those are really important factors I was not completely aware/informed of before. Being able to perform in that way with the ND 400 X is what enables me in the way I wanted, and with full ND results.

Thank you so much. Now I have something to look forward to.