Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does this tripod exist?

Background: I currently have a Feisol CT-3441T tripod with Feisol CB-40D head. I love the combo. It's sturdy, goes to 69" extended (I'm 6'6"), lightweight (combo is 3.6 lbs) and relatively compact (19" folded). But I'm always seeking something lighter and more compact that will still do the job without (big) compromises. So, with that in mind, does the following tripod exist?

- Weight 3 lbs or less (legs and head)
- Folded length 18" or less
- Extended height of at least 4 feet (I realize I'm going to have to compromise here - I rarely use my current one fully extended (or anywhere close to it) anyway)
- Sturdy enough to support Pentax DSLR body and F*300+TC (the largest/heaviest combo I can see using)
- Sturdy enough to support Pentax DSLR body and wide angle lens (currently have Da15 but may have something larger/heavier in future) for long exposures, in windy conditions, on uneven ground, with movement or IQ degradation

Does the above exist?

Looking forward to your input.

-Brandon

01-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have the budget, check out the Really Right Stuff CF tripods with heads. I think the Series 1 and series 2 may have models that fit your criteria
01-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You'll probably drop a lot of money chasing marginal improvements, but that's why we're here... This Gitzo looks interesting:

Gitzo GT1555T Series 1 Traveler Carbon Fiber Tripod GT1555T B&H

Otherwise, I'm about your height and so am used to hunkering--still, longer tripod legs come in really handy setting up in the uneven terrain you mention.
01-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Until very recently I would have been inclined to say no. A couple of days ago I got an XSOURCE Q666C carbon-fibre tripod. It's a Chinese knock-off of some other brand, sold under various names via Amazon/eBay etc. for around €70. Sounds bad, but reviews have been rave, a friend of mine has had one for a year and loves it and so I bought one which arrived three days ago. It's light, sturdy, has nice features (hook to suspend weight from, can be turned into a monopod etc.) and is all around a great tripod, not only for the money but really in absolute terms. Quality wise I feel no difference to the my larger Manfrotto tripod costing three times as much.

It holds my K3 + Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 without any problems - your combo would be a bit heavier, but not much.

I have always been sceptical of really cheap stuff (you get what you pay for), but this thing makes me wonder what kind of magic they performed to sell it at such a low price.

01-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

I have the Benro FTA18CC ( FTA18CC Travel Angel Tripod ) and Sunwayfoto FB-36 ( Sunwayphoto-a superior photography accessories manufacturer in Shenzhen China - Home ). I have been very impressed with the stability of this setup using long lenses. I usually hang my backpack from the hook and it becomes rock solid in windy conditions. I would say this is bare minimum to provide full support of to 300 lens. I tip the head clamp over in to 90 degree slot position so the lens is mounted to the side.

This will get close to your desired specs.
01-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote
Background: I currently have a Feisol CT-3441T tripod with Feisol CB-40D head. I love the combo. It's sturdy, goes to 69" extended (I'm 6'6"), lightweight (combo is 3.6 lbs) and relatively compact (19" folded). But I'm always seeking something lighter and more compact that will still do the job without (big) compromises. So, with that in mind, does the following tripod exist?

- Extended height of at least 4 feet (I realize I'm going to have to compromise here - I rarely use my current one fully extended (or anywhere close to it) anyway)
- Sturdy enough to support Pentax DSLR body and F*300+TC (the largest/heaviest combo I can see using)
- Sturdy enough to support Pentax DSLR body and wide angle lens (currently have Da15 but may have something larger/heavier in future) for long exposures, in windy conditions, on uneven ground, with movement or IQ degradation

Does the above exist?

This is the one I have on my wish list:

Sirui EN-2204 Carbon Fiber Tripod BSREN2204 B&H Photo Video

I want a fairly lightweight but sturdy pod that can handle big lenses (at least if I don't extend it too much) for hiking. (I've already got a giant pod for when staying near the car.) I also much prefer the flip-locks than twist locks. A bit outside your specs (with head probably looking at 4 lbs or so), but almost. But then your current set-up is about the same -- I'd probably be happy with that.
01-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Will you settle for 3.6 lbs?

MeFOTO RoadTrip Travel Tripod Kits - Choose Your Color!

I have it and it supports my 70-200 f/2.8. Sigma 18-35 at 2lbs or whatever it weighs also had no issues. It's quite sturdy.

01-23-2016, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worth, I just ordered a Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head in preparation for my upcoming trip to England and Ireland.

This review made me think I'd struggle to find anything much better.
01-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the Sirui T-025X for a couple of years now..... mostly for travel...... I can recommend it ......."the tripod you can squeeze in when your not meant to be taking a tripod"...... recently added a Sirui W-2204 for more stable and normal use.....W means it can be used in water up to about 4ft or so.

I will add here though, there are large sturdy tripods for a reason.......with the travelish tripods, to me they're not for long teles and slowish shutter speeds....a effective focal length of over 600mm on a light smallish tipod doesn't work that well.....just as effective to shoot with shake reduction on and burst.

I can also recommend the Sirui P-326 carbon fibre monopod..... I use the C-10x ball head on it (from the T-025x) with my DFA 150-450.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-23-2016 at 09:04 PM.
01-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is exactly why PF is such a great place - thanks for all the replies/suggestions. Lots of things to think about here. The Sirui T-025x (which I've considered a lot before) and the XSOURCE (which I'd never heard of until today) both look interesting - both lighter, smaller, and less expensive that what I have currently, but seemingly very high quality. The question with both I think would be stability when really stressed (heavier camera/lens combo, adverse conditions, etc) but I suppose the only way to really know how one would work under specific circumstances is to get it and try.

-Brandon
01-24-2016, 02:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a much more solid tripod to use with my bigger lenses (like the DA*300), but they won't be coming along for the trip. I have just ordered a HD DA55-300WR as my travel telephoto; I'm hoping it will balance adequately on the Sirui.

I'll give the combination a good going over in the near future, and get back to this thread if there's anything of note.
01-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote

Does the above exist?

-Brandon
Well, my Sirui N-1004 has many of your features:

Weighs around 4#
Extended height 66.5"
Legs fold up 180 to a length of only 16.5"
Legs adjust to 3 positions for uneven terrain
The center column can be inverted for unusual low angle shots
Supports 26#
Has hook to hang added weight if desired in windy conditions.

(There is an updated model to mine)
01-24-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Legs adjust to 3 positions for uneven terrain)

A number of models suggested here have this feature of 3 set angles in terms of leg position. For those of you that have such a tripod, do you find this limiting? The model I have now if infinitely adjustable, which makes it very flexible.

-Brandon