Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Raynox Telephoto Adaptor

I was on the Raynox website looking at the macro adaptors, and I ran across the DCR-2025PRO/DCR-2020PRO 2.2x telephoto adaptor. Rather than like a converter that is between the lens and the camera, this attaches to the front of the lens just as their macro adaptors do.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worthwhile? I don't think I would even consider it except for the reputation of their macro converters.

Any information is appreciated.

Don

01-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are you going to use it on?
01-24-2016, 03:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've no experience with this converter. Specifications (123 x 85, 275g) of the DCR-2025PRO in addition to a lens and the price wouldn't attract me. The price seems nearly that of a Tamron 90mm macro lens!

In conjunction with a good zoom it could be interesting. The product page shows it installed on a video camera.
01-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. I have this specific adapter which I mounted on an early Fuji EVF super zoom (28~300mm equivalent; this was my first digital camera), The Raynox unit is quite big, although not very heavy. I was afraid the leverage it had, if bumped, would damage the long zoom lens, either the zoom mechanism or the focusing, so I fabricated a support that allowed use only @ 300mm which was really where I wanted to use it (the device had severe vignetting at shorter FL's anyway). The combination gave marginally acceptable results, OK so long as there was no need to crop. BUT, KIM it was mounted on an early long-range zoom (=no ED elements SFAIK) that was at its maximum FL (how many 28~300mm zooms have great IQ @ 300mm?) and recorded on a tiny sensor. I have the device tucked away somewhere and if you want, I'll try to dig it out and take some test shots on a K3 and decent zoom or SFL lens, if I have appropriate step up/down rings. My prediction: IQ with the device will probably barely match a deep crop from the lens without the device.

AND ALSO, These filter-thread mounted telephoto and wide-angle adapters seem to work best on video, probably because the multiple images give an impression of greater sharpness than any one image by itself (i.e., your eye and brain pick up and store details from one image that aren't as well recorded in another, building a sort of mental composite image that contains far more detail than any single image).

01-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
WPRESTO - Thanks for the great info. Your point about it probably not being much better than a crop is well taken.

I was really on the website looking at the macros when I saw this. I was thinking that it might be able to be used with my 55-300 kit lens when on my boat as trying to hand-hold my Sigma 150-500 while on a boat is just not very easy. I thought this might be lighter and maybe a little easier to control. Probably just a daydream.
01-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
WPRESTO - Thanks for the great info. Your point about it probably not being much better than a crop is well taken.

I was really on the website looking at the macros when I saw this. I was thinking that it might be able to be used with my 55-300 kit lens when on my boat as trying to hand-hold my Sigma 150-500 while on a boat is just not very easy. I thought this might be lighter and maybe a little easier to control. Probably just a daydream.
It would be substantially lighter, but I doubt you'll get IQ anywhere near close to the Sigma. However, if I get half-a-day this week, I'll give it a try on my 55~300 and post the results.
01-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow! How kind of you.

When I hand-hold the Bigma on the boat I have to boost the ISO so I can get shutter speed. Even then, balancing that big lens with the movement of the boat does not make for lots of good captures. I depend on volume and hope for the best.

01-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Below is the Raynox 2.2X mounted on a 55~300 extended to 300mm (this is how you want to use it, right?). With this combination my K3 would not autofocus. Focusing with the 2.2X attached using live view and focus peaking was extremely difficult because of the amount of vibration caused by the slightest touch. Enlarged live view was impossible - after all the combination is equivalent to 720mm. Also, the weight of the 2.2X substantially increased focus resistance, that is, it pressed the lens barrel down so that friction was greatly increased. The test images were taken at about 20 feet from a standard resolution test target using a heavy tripod + head (Bogen 3221 and a geared head), ISO 200, f8, X, manual focus using focus peaking, Illuminated by a Cactus FR60 at about 1/8.7 power (flash duration less than 1/4000), self timer on 2 second delay to allow vibration to settle, best of three refocused shots selected for each. Except for cropping of each second image and adding the captions, no PP manipulation was done. The images speak for the themselves.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-08-2016 at 07:30 AM.
01-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Below is the Raynox 2.2X mounted on a 55~300 extended to 300mm (this is how you want to use it, right?). With this combination my K3 would not autofocus. Focusing with the 2.2X attached using live view and focus peaking was extremely difficult because of the amount of vibration caused by the slightest touch. Enlarged live view was impossible - after all the combination is equivalent to 720mm. Also, the weight of the 2.2X substantially increased focus resistance, that is, it pressed the lens barrel down so that friction was greatly increased. The test images were taken at about 20 feet from a standard resolution test target using a heavy tripod + head (Bogen 3221 and a geared head), ISO 200, f8, X, manual focus using focus peaking, Illuminated by a Cactus FR60 at about 1/8.7 power (flash duration less than 1/4000), self timer on 2 second delay to allow vibration to settle, best of three refocused shots selected for each. Except for cropping of each second image and adding the captions, no PP manipulation was done. The images speak for the themselves.
I think all questions have been answered. Again, I can't thank you enough for the trouble you went to for me. I hope anyone else thinking about this adaptor sees this thread.

So, Raynox for macro - pretty good. Raynox for telephoto - not so much.

I hope sometime I can return the favor.

Don
01-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No problem. I was a little curious to see what the Raynox would do, although considering my experience with it years ago on the Fuji, I had little hope.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-08-2016 at 07:30 AM.