Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
BK-45 / GH1 cheap gimbal question

So I got the Neewer version of the Beike BK-45 or Opteka GH1 Gimbal:
http://www.amazon.com/Neewer%C2%AE-Professional-Arca-Swiss-Standard-Release/dp/B00DIXYI36/

I have pulled the bottom clamping knob and smoothed it out. But I can't figure out where I'm supposed to pry off the bottom center cap. Probably afraid to break something. The Amazon item has some detailed pics. My options are 1) Edge of the compass 2) Groove halfway between compass edge and shoulder of cap, or 3) bottom of the "shoulder" where the smooth cap meets the rubbery coating.

I've tried gently prying at points 2 and 3 and no dice. Or I could just drill out the compass, drain the liquid, and pop that out ...

01-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is there a problem with the panning motion of the gimbal? I have the same one (BK-45) but that wasn't where the problem is.
01-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Is there a problem with the panning motion of the gimbal? I have the same one (BK-45) but that wasn't where the problem is.
Not really, I was gonna pull it open, clean it, put in real grease and loctite. Maybe I'll just let it ride for now...
01-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, if it ain't broke... The swing arm pivot on the other hand probably will need some TLC and my conical spring mod to reduce the speed of the swing arm from working itself loose too quickly. You should be able to find the mod if you search in PF.

01-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, if it ain't broke... The swing arm pivot on the other hand probably will need some TLC and my conical spring mod to reduce the speed of the swing arm from working itself loose too quickly. You should be able to find the mod if you search in PF.
I did pull the swing arm pivot apart, cleaned everything, used "real" grease and a dab of blue loctite to keep it from working out.

And "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" is probably good advice. That being said, can you provide any pointers on my question - basically, where's the edge of the center-pivot cap? Thanks!
01-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
I did pull the swing arm pivot apart, cleaned everything, used "real" grease and a dab of blue loctite to keep it from working out.

And "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" is probably good advice. That being said, can you provide any pointers on my question - basically, where's the edge of the center-pivot cap? Thanks!
I know, if it ain't broke, fix it anyways, right? My gimbal's base rotation felt gritty so I decided to give it a shot at repairing it.

Take a very stiff scraper like the "Richard's 6 in 1 Painter's Scraper" and firmly push the blade between the cap and the textured gimbal frame. The cap seem to have been pressed fit with some kind of cement so expect a lot of resistance. Make sure to work the blade in all around the pivot cap's edge while prying the scraper up - the cement's bond has to break before the cap will pop put.

When the cap has been pried off, use a 5/32" Allan Key to remove the set screw holding the pivot in. It would be a good idea to have the gimbal head mounted to a tripod centre post so the you can have something to grip as you work the set screw loose.

Wash off the old grease with natha dampened rag, sand off any rough surface with a fine grit sandpaper, and wipe down all parts once more with naptha. Re-grease the parts and reassemble. The set screw should be loctited in to keep it from coming loose.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
I know, if it ain't broke, fix it anyways, right? My gimbal's base rotation felt gritty so I decided to give it a shot at repairing it.

Take a very stiff scraper like the "Richard's 6 in 1 Painter's Scraper" and firmly push the blade between the cap and the textured gimbal frame. The cap seem to have been pressed fit with some kind of cement so expect a lot of resistance. Make sure to work the blade in all around the pivot cap's edge while prying the scraper up - the cement's bond has to break before the cap will pop put.

When the cap has been pried off, use a 5/32" Allan Key to remove the set screw holding the pivot in. It would be a good idea to have the gimbal head mounted to a tripod centre post so the you can have something to grip as you work the set screw loose.

Wash off the old grease with natha dampened rag, sand off any rough surface with a fine grit sandpaper, and wipe down all parts once more with naptha. Re-grease the parts and reassemble. The set screw should be loctited in to keep it from coming loose.
Awesome! Thanks for the disassembled pic, that helps a lot.

I worked at a bike shop when I was in college. The shop owner's mandate when it came to brand-new-in-the-box bikes was to disassemble the headset, bottom bracket, and wheel bearings (if cup and cone), clean, and repack before a new bike went on the floor. I still tend to do that with new stuff, much to my wife's chagrin...