Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #1

Third-party battery grip for K10/K20

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

pro battery grip for Pentax K10D K20D replace D-BG2 - eBay (item 350075605663 end time Jul-08-08 18:04:43 PDT)

Judging from the picture, it looks exactly the same as the original item, apart that it lacks three silver pins. What's the purpose of these pins? I suspect it isn't weather sealed too.

Any thoughts?

07-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean the pins on the corners? I'm pretty sure they are just to help hold it in place a little better. For the price, I'd be tempted.
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

Bought one, was told it had been shipped, so I am waiting for it.

Pinwu
07-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You are not going to like what I'm about to say.......

Since this is coming from China, the only thing I can think is it's a rip-off of a patented Pentax product. Yes, it's nice to save money, but when you buy an item like this, it destroys the incentive for the original maker to come out with the product.

China is infamous for doing this - making copies of copyrighted items and undercutting the price. It's easy to undercut the price when someone else did all the design and testing for you.

BTW: Did you notice the warranty? There isn't any. The add says if it's found defective in 7 days, you an return it. Otherwise, I guess you're sol.

07-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Do you mean the pins on the corners? I'm pretty sure they are just to help hold it in place a little better. For the price, I'd be tempted.
Yes, there's two on the right side and one on the left on the original unit I believe. They ought to prevent rotational movement of the grip. That would be my guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
You are not going to like what I'm about to say.......

Since this is coming from China, the only thing I can think is it's a rip-off of a patented Pentax product. Yes, it's nice to save money, but when you buy an item like this, it destroys the incentive for the original maker to come out with the product.

China is infamous for doing this - making copies of copyrighted items and undercutting the price. It's easy to undercut the price when someone else did all the design and testing for you.

BTW: Did you notice the warranty? There isn't any. The add says if it's found defective in 7 days, you an return it. Otherwise, I guess you're sol.
You are right of course, this is a rip-off, no doubt about it. I was just wondering what's the possibility that this grip makes some kind of mess with my camera. I guess I'm just being overly cautious.
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #6

I prefer to call them knock-offs rather than rip-offs and the one I have works great! (so far)