Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

lens hood for Zeiss Distagon 35mm F2 ZK ?

Hello,
I just find on the internet a distagon 35mm f2 for Pentax (ZK), but i I'd find a lens hood a little better than that one supplied this lens

The only ones I 've seen for ZK version are at very expensive prices (160, or 220 euros ... )

so, just want to know...

- is the lens hood the same, between f/1.4 and f / 2 models ?
- Is a lens hood for distagon 35mm " ZE " or " ZF ", can be locked to the pentax "ZK" lens ?

Thank you !

01-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on getting the lens!
Usually the original, genuine lens hood is the best, as it is optimized and fits on hood bayonet. However, it might be optimized for 35mm f2.0 on FF/film; since you are using it on APSC, you can mount a much tighter lens hood (for appx. 50mm lenses). There are many third party options that screw or clip-on onto the filter threads. None of them will be "the best", but many will be quite good and good enough. Third party hoods are "universal", so they won't fit on the bayonet (hood bayonet is not standardized). I suggest you avoid metal hoods (can be too shiny) and vented hoods (these are for rangefinders, no need for vents on DSLR).

Carl Zeiss 35mm F2 Distagon T* Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Looks like it has bayonet for the hood, so I doubt there is a difference between ZK and ZF and other mounts, as long as it the same lens. Only the mount is different. Maybe you can find a third party knock off. These can be nearly identical, but at the fraction of the cost. Check places like ebay.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Zeiss with bayonet hood, so I can't say for 100% certain. These are rather rare lenses, but I hope someone who has one finds this thread
01-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk !
but as i see, there's 2 kind of lens hood for distagon 35mm

little metal hood :

... and petal shaped hood, here for distagon 35 f1.4 :

just waiting for the first, sold with the lens, but can't find the last on internet, even on zeiss website
universal hood is a solution, but is it possible to screw it on a filter ?

Last edited by christiandre; 01-30-2016 at 10:49 AM.
01-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Different size front elements between 35mm f2/f1.4 lenses

Hi,

Not sure what your need is, but I use the 2/35 and the as issued lens hood.

Checking the Zeiss page I see the 1.4/35 has a 72mm filter thread meaning the hood for this lens is not going to fit the 2/35 which has a 58mm filter thread. You would have a similar issue trying to fit the hood from the Makro 2/50 as it is a 67mm filter thread.

I don't have the Zeiss 1.4/50 but as it uses a 58mm filter thread this should provide a viable alternative if a longer hood is what you seek. The new Milvus 2/35 has a 58mm filter thread so maybe you could gamble on this option as well?

If there's another solution out there I'd recommend you look for metal bayonet fittings as plastic is not likely to hold up to regular mounting / dismounting to the metal of the lens.

Good luck.

Tas

01-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank Tas ! Milvius's hood is possible solution 😉
01-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The body diameter of the Zeiss 35/f1.4 is considerably larger than that of the Zeiss 35/f2.

... so their hoods are not going to be interchangeable. As others have said the 35/f2 and 50/f2 use the same hood.... and anything with the Zeiss name is expensive - even the hoods. I have the 25/f2.8 and do like the smaller slotted hood that it came with.

01-31-2016, 01:51 AM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wrong 50 Old Bean

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
As others have said the 35/f2 and 50/f2 use the same hood.

The 2/50 has a 67mm filter thread and therefore the hood will be too big for the 2/35. The 1.4/50 however has the matching 58mm thread, though as it's not a petal it may not be what the OP is after.

Tas