Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #31
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
What do you use, tin cans on a string???��
Yes indeed. Very economical! I've only had to replace the string once in 20 years.

Since cell phones don't work at my house, why have a smart phone? I carry a cell phone only when I'm traveling to & from town in case of an emergency.

02-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Both of these work on K5IIs bodies. The wireless version works around corners and a good distance away. The wired version uses no batteries.

Vello FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release RW-C1 B&H Photo

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H
Thanks for K5IIS input, that is one of the cameras I will plan on using the new wired remote with. I actually ordered the Vello RS-C1II today. I also have the K-3II that I plan on possibly using it with.

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 08:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Sorry for the delay. No, I don't change the drive mode to Remote. It works with my regular settings.
Thanks alot. Now I will know more of what to do when I get it. That is what I had thought because it is actually attached instead of using the infrared signal.

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 09:06 PM ----------

I think you will be very pleased with it! Be sure to let us know how you like it!
Thanks. I am glad I got the positive feedback about that specific wired remote, including yours, that enabled me to make a decision.

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Yes it does work great. I do prefer a wired remote for long sessions while using a telescope.
Thank you for the input. It really helps.

---------- Post added 02-03-16 at 09:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have several Vello wired remotes and two Vello wireless remotes - they all work with my K3 and all that I've tried work on my K5 and K20. The Pentax plug is the same as that used on many (all??) Canon DSLRs
Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-03-2016 at 07:14 PM.
02-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #33
Unregistered User

I was out Sunday morning doing my K-50 business around rural Fauquier County and had a thought. I know it's surprising but I do occasionally have a thought. I was sort of absent-mindedly using the two-second delay timer w/camera on a tripod for extended shutter release time shots when it occurred to me. That technique (as well as the 12 second delay) is a good alternative to either of those discussed in this thread unless one is using manual/bulb mode, i.e. for elimination of camera shake due to touching things with the fingers.

---------- Post added 2016-02-11 at 09:46 AM ----------

Because not everyone has a smartphone, including me.
me neither too. my phone does telephone calls, for those folks who remember "telephones". I resisted getting one with a camera on it, but they don't make them anymore without.

---------- Post added 2016-02-11 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
What do you use, tin cans on a string???😂
yes, only the string consists of a twisted pair of copper #12. And it's connected via a dc forty-milliampere loop with a local branch exchange which is equipped with all sorts of batteries that don't go down when the InterNet does or when there's a power outrage. True, I can't carry the implement around with me, but that's only because the "string" would get wrapped around trees, pedestrians, and stuff like that.

---------- Post added 2016-02-11 at 09:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
All you have to do is reach towards the front of the camera, you don't have to be in front of it.
That's theoretically possible, but it's easier to have a button on a wire. And both types are cheap enough. Like the scene at the end of "Trading Places": "My dear, shall we have lobster or cracked crab?"; "Can't we has boess?"; "Why not. Dimitri, cracked crab and lobster for everybody."; "Veddy good, Mister Coleman, sir."

Well, you can has boess.
02-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Originally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote What do you use, tin cans on a string???😂 yes, only the string consists of a twisted pair of copper #12. And it's connected via a dc forty-milliampere loop with a local branch exchange which is equipped with all sorts of batteries that don't go down when the InterNet does or when there's a power outrage. True, I can't carry the implement around with me, but that's only because the "string" would get wrapped around trees, pedestrians, and stuff like that.
Wow! You have a much more updated system than my cans on a string; very impressive!

Those SmartPhone users are eating their hearts out!

02-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes indeed. Very economical! I've only had to replace the string once in 20 years.

Since cell phones don't work at my house, why have a smart phone? I carry a cell phone only when I'm traveling to & from town in case of an emergency.

Cell phones do not work properly at our house. We use an "old fashioned" flip-open cell phone - no screen, no internet access, no "apps." It costs each of us less than $9 per month for unlimited calling throughout the USA. What does a "smart phone" cost? I neither know nor care.
02-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I was out Sunday morning doing my K-50 business around rural Fauquier County and had a thought. I know it's surprising but I do occasionally have a thought. I was sort of absent-mindedly using the two-second delay timer w/camera on a tripod for extended shutter release time shots when it occurred to me. That technique (as well as the 12 second delay) is a good alternative to either of those discussed in this thread unless one is using manual/bulb mode, i.e. for elimination of camera shake due to touching things with the fingers.
I do this all the time, it's a great remote trigger alternative for exposures you can accomplish without bulb mode!
02-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did actually receive my "Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch" from B and H. It functions on both my K-5IIS and K-3II, indoors, and outdoors in the Winter. I am really glad I got it.

02-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #38
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will enjoy it! Mine has been completely trouble free. Let us know your opinion!
02-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You will enjoy it! Mine has been completely trouble free. Let us know your opinion!
I agree. It has performed flawlessly as a shutter control for long exposures on both my K-3II and K-5IIS.
02-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
csa,

I just wanted to let you know that I got the EU to US plug adapter(s) for the EU type plug battery charger that charges the coin type batteries (LR2032) I use for my IR remote. I wanted to tell you that the plug adapters do not hold the plug of the battery charger very firmly, though one of them managed to maintain enough contact for me to charge the batteries (while I am close by). They only cost me about a dollar or less, but I let the dealer and EBay know. I wanted to let you know just in case you planned on ordering it, and because I had given a shortcut to the ad in an earlier post to you.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-22-2016 at 08:20 PM.
02-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Montana Mountains.
02-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #42
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
csa,

I just wanted to let you know that I got the EU to US plug adapter(s) for the EU type plug battery charger that charges the coin type batteries (LR2032) I use for my IR remote. I wanted to tell you that the plug adapters do not hold the plug of the battery charger very firmly, though one of them managed to maintain enough contact for me to charge the batteries (while I am close by). They only cost me about a dollar or less, but I let the dealer and EBay know. I wanted to let you know just in case you planned on ordering it, and because I had given a shortcut to the ad in an earlier post to you.
Good to know! It's very nice that you took the time to let the dealer & Ebay know! I think I'm going to order the Watson AA charger & batteries; as I have a spare Watson battery for my K3, and it's performing very well.
02-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have the EBL 8 bay charger. It charges both AA and AAA rechargeable batteries. I have EBL AA and AAA rechargeable batteries also. Both the charger and rechargeable batteries are available on Amazon. They do really work well.

I see the Watson is the "rapid" charger which you may have need for specifically, so you probably don't want the EBL, but as you can see, I just wanted to mention it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-23-2016 at 04:19 PM.
02-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #44
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, rapid charging isn't important, I was just pleased with Watson batteries. Plus it's one that's available where I'm purchasing other items, so everything will be on one order, and one shipment. I don't think I have anything using AAA batteries.
02-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good, it sounds like you're all set then.