Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Borno, looks good - nice bit of "home engineering"!!

But, I have a question about gimbal heads - I haven't run into one before and wonder what the advantages are over a ball head? Thanks.
A ballhead is generally regarded as sturdier for fixed shots and more general-purpose.

Gimbal heads are pretty much specifically for users of long lenses who need to pan frequently (due to moving subjects - birds, sports, aircraft). They're slightly less sturdy for "still" shots, but they are a LOT easier to move than a ballhead.

The idea is that with a ballhead, the center of gravity of the lens + camera is above the pivot point of the head. Thus if the ballhead is loosened the lens will tend to flop around and the photographer will have to fight it. Also a ballhead allows rotational movement around the lens axis.

With a properly adjusted gimbal head, the lens+camera combination's center of gravity is right at (or sometimes slightly below) the pivot point of the head. As a result the lens will tend to either not move or possibly have a tendency to return to horizontal. This way it can be panned easily left/right/up/down (but kept level, a gimbal head does not allow rotation around the lens axis) with little effort.

07-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Let me know a price, I'll buy one if reasonable (a bit less than the big boys models)
Looks very nice, you have a future
It might not be quite as affordable, but it is MUCH cheaper than Wimberley & Co.: Bogen / Manfrotto | 393 Heavy Duty Gimbal Type Telephoto | 393

It works quite good, I use it with a K10 + Grip + Pentax 500/4.5 even with TC or with a Tamron 300/2.8 also with TCs. It is robust, has an adjustment plate for balancing any camera-lens-combo and has a tension control in altitude. The only drawback is, that changing the tension in azimuth requires an Hex key.

Ben
07-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Borno and Entropy, thanks for the explainations about a gimbal mount vs a ball head. Makes sense - specially after seeing one you built, Borno.
07-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I was this close to ordering that manfrotto but we were going on vacation and I'm trying to save some lens money It looks like a pretty good deal with the QR plate included and all. The plate is really long though.

07-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Yeah, I was this close to ordering that manfrotto but we were going on vacation and I'm trying to save some lens money It looks like a pretty good deal with the QR plate included and all. The plate is really long though.
Yes, the plate is long. I simply use it as a sliding balance plate and it stays on the gimbal mount all time. I screwed my own QR adapter (the RC0 system - hexagons) on top of that plate, so that I need only one QR-system for all my tripods.

Ben
07-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #21

Borno, Very neat idea. You mentioned not being happy with the roughness of the welds. 3M makes a buffing wheel that works great on stainless and carbon welds. You should be able to get one at any welding supply store. Even some hardware stores. A little black primer paint, wow.

I would send you one but the shipping would be more than what you can buy one.
07-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip Pete,
I made a new peice for the bottom part and welded it better and it looks pretty good now. I don't have any pics yet though.