Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ISO: Remote release for K100D Super

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey everyone, I am looking for a remote release for my K100D Super - wired is fine in fact I'd prefer a wired one.
I stumbled across some online, but I am unsure as to what will work so I need some help...

This one I know will work, as it's from Pentax themselves - and I know it's the right connection type: PentaxWebstore Cable Switch CS-205

But, it's $50. And I am sure I can find something cheaper...

So I looked and found these:

Now, the description on the page for this lists the same camera twice, so I am wondering if it's a typo and they meant to write K100D? And the plug pin is different - it looks like it goes into the USB connector instead?
Dot Line | Dot Line Remote Release | DL-1491 | B&H Photo Video
So maybe that's not for a K100D Super at all?

and here is the other one: Dot Line | Remote Release | DL-1490 | B&H Photo Video
again it just says generally for Pentax SLRs...
But again, the connector pin is different.

So, yeah, I am quite confused. I don't want to spend the $50, but I also don't want to buy something cheaper that won't even connect to my camera.

Thanks for any help, or other suggestions!

07-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not IR release?

My IR release was much less than $50, why not go for it?

ALso, there are other options.

The one at B&H is for a film camera. I have one also, from my PZ-1 and it would require modifications to change the connector. I am also considering this but it is a question of time, money for connectors etc. I am not sure it is worth it, compared to the $50 for the new one.

There is a posting some where, by someone who made thier own, again consider your time as well as cost of parts.
07-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I bought this one off eBay from VirtualVillage along with a few other things. Super cheap and it works prefect. If you compare it to the Canon it's identical yet a difference of $30+. I paid $6.

If you want electronic timed control to shoot in B mode perhaps this:

Timer Remote Cord for Pentax K10D K100D K110D *ist - eBay (item 350074954068 end time Jul-06-08 13:14:59 PDT)

If you want wireless there's the choice of the Pentax IR although limited to about 6' or if required for longer distances then perhaps this:

Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Pentax K100D K10D - eBay (item 260258718937 end time Jul-09-08 05:54:24 PDT)
07-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I would rather not make one of my own. I prefer to simply buy one I know will work without having to modify anything! This camera is the 2nd biggest investment since my computer lol, and I don't want to go messing around with its precious parts!

Well, can you suggest a wireless one then? I really don't know what places to shop for one. Wired or wireless.

Thanks!

EDIT: ooh sorry above, you posted while I was typing! haha.

I prefer not to shop at eBay though. But thanks for the first suggestion. It WILL work with a Pentax?

07-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Works fine. The plug is standard to most cameras but I'm sure not all. The listing said it worked with Pentax so I bought it. I thought the cable being as short as it is, around 16" I guess would be too short but it actually works out great - not too long or in the way.

The wireless options will also work without issue. Amazon has a list of items, similar or identical to those on eBay but you're buying form B&H/Adorama in some cases with inflated pricing. Best of luck with the search.
07-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I only looked at B&H because it's a place I know of. I don't know where else to look. Amazon is definitely a place I would look.

I did check out the Virtual Village on eBay, and they didn't have any more of the kind you got. I didn't see anyway.
07-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
I did check out the Virtual Village on eBay, and they didn't have any more of the kind you got. I didn't see anyway.
Could have been only available when I purchased, that was months ago though.

07-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #9

DealExtreme has one for $4.82 including shipping!

DealExtreme: $4.82 YN Remote Shutter Switch for Canon / Contax / Pentax / Samsung Digital Camera

I haven't bought anything from them before, but I know people who have, and they say it's fine except that it takes forever for you to get your stuff from them since they ship out of China.

Basically everything on DealExtreme is a Chinese knockoff of something else, and some of it seems pretty cool. I'm especially interested in their knockoff of the Gary Fong "Whale Tail": DealExtreme: $16.18 Advanced Flash Diffuser with Color Filters
07-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #10

The AF-360 will totally work with your camera, but the "wireless" mode doesn't work very well. You pretty much have to keep it on the camera all the time, and if you have it off of the camera then the tiny built-in flash will fire when you shoot and add more light, and lots of the photos come out under/overexposed.

But if you just want to keep the flash on the camera it works really well. Great for bouncing light off the ceiling and much more powerful than the built-in flash.

One thing to watch out for - the flash head tilts, but doesn't swivel. So if you want to bounce it off the ceiling while you're shooting in portrait orientation you can't do that with the AF-360. You would need to get the more expensive AF-540 for that.
07-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
DealExtreme has one for $4.82 including shipping!

DealExtreme: $4.82 YN Remote Shutter Switch for Canon / Contax / Pentax / Samsung Digital Camera

I haven't bought anything from them before, but I know people who have, and they say it's fine except that it takes forever for you to get your stuff from them since they ship out of China.

Basically everything on DealExtreme is a Chinese knockoff of something else, and some of it seems pretty cool. I'm especially interested in their knockoff of the Gary Fong "Whale Tail": DealExtreme: $16.18 Advanced Flash Diffuser with Color Filters
That's where I got mine. It took about 5 weeks for it to arrive, but shipping was free.
07-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the help everyone!