Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Step up ring questions and advice

I see several step up ring kits (67-72 72-77 77-82 etc) that I suppose are meant to be used stacked to the get the desired ring sizes between lens and filter.

But that seems like that would introduce vignetting, plus I suspect the filters are designed to be as close to the lens as possible.. so multiple ring stacks is probably going to degrade the image.

With that in mind, I'm looking to get dedicated rings say a 67-77 and a 58-77 as example.

But I am wondering if these would also potentially vignette too? Some of these rings (even in singular form) look fairly thick.

Any tips on this? Perhaps even some recommendations on step up ring brand that minimize vignetting with such a large conversion (58 to 77) ?

02-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

Vignetting will depend mainly on the focal length of the lens. Personally I would try to keep it to a maximum of two rings total. A large step-up shouldn't matter. Naturally you would not want to put a smaller filter on a larger diameter lens.
02-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are using a full frame lens on APS-C camera, generally a step down ring is fine. I often step down from 58 or 62 mm to 52 or 49 mm and then add a hood (generally no filter)--w/o a problem. You need to add the filter/hood and place the lens focus to infnity, and lens closed down (f/16 or f/22), and take a photo of a uniform field such as white wall, and make sure the corners are not impacted (vignetting).
02-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you both for your insights. I'm using all crop lenses on a crop body. I think I'm going to try individual rings such as the 67-77 and the 58-77 and see how they do... on further thinking maybe they won't vignette at all. But they're 5 bucks each on B&H (for a simple grooved piece of aluminum!) so not too awful if they do. For hood I have other 'creative' ideas (such as holding a magazine above the end of the lens out of view) haha.

Right now I'm waiting for Breakthrough Photography to respond to my email about their X1 CPL vs their out of stock X2. Their website is a mess...

03-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A question; what is the advantage/disadvantage between step-up rings vs step-down rings?
03-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
A question; what is the advantage/disadvantage between step-up rings vs step-down rings?
A step-up ring would allow you to mount a 52mm filter on a 49mm filter thread lens.
A step-down ring would allow you to mount a 49mm filter on a 52mm filter thread lens.
03-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that Bert; I've used both for many, many years; but I wondered if there's a case where one outweighs the other.

"A step-down ring would allow you to mount a 49mm filter on a 52mm filter thread lens."

This is not ideal, as it may very well cause vignetting. In the past I've always used step-up rings, even if it means a new filter.

Last edited by csa; 03-03-2016 at 09:37 AM.
03-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I know that Bert; I've used both for many, many years; but I wondered if there's a case where one outweighs the other.

"A step-down ring would allow you to mount a 49mm filter on a 52mm filter thread lens."

This is not ideal, as it may very well cause vignetting. In the past I've always used step-up rings, even if it means a new filter.
Ok I thought you'd know that
Yep sometimes it's cause vignetting - but if you're using a FF lens on APS-C vignetting probably won't occur

If all your lenses were, say, DA Limiteds (you wish ) with 49mm filter threads but one with a 52mm thread - would it make sense to buy a set of 52mm filters or 49mm filters?
One specific case you'd NEED to use step-down filters: You want to use a Raynox adapter on a DA* 300, DA* 300 has a thread of 77mm and there Raynox supports up to 67mm...