Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vello Flash Triggers

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have the K-5IIS, K-3II, and 3 Pentax AF360FGZ flashes. I have done successful off camera flash shooting with them (P-TTL). If I want to resort to use of a radio trigger type setup for more distance , without P-TTL/TTL in manual mode, does Vello have a radio trigger/receiver product that would be compatible with my equipment? I like Vello, I have a wired shutter release that works flawlessly that is that brand and I noticed that the Vello triggers utilize batteries that are rechargeable which I have (AA or AAA). Is there a compatible Vello radio trigger/receiver set for my Pentax equipment as I mentioned that is economical, or is there a more dependable/economical option that is another brand that is compatible. I live in a sort of cold area, that is why I do not want to a trigger that uses the 23A non rechargeable battery (example, Cowboy Studio).

I would appreciate any information/opinions on this.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-07-2016 at 10:57 AM.
03-07-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not familiar with Vello, I use Cactus. But these will be all manual, just transmitting the 'fire' signal so I would think they should work. There are numerous e-bay triggers that work fine.

One thing to think about is that the Cactus v6 allows setting flash power at the camera for remote flashes. Might be worth looking into if you are working with the flashes at some distance.

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Does V6 have both triggers and specific receivers? I have only seen V6 labeled triggers on the internet. The trigger uses AA batteries, which is what I like.
Cactus are 'transceivers' meaning that any unit can be either receiver or transmitter. You select which on the unit. More flexible that way. I have three units and can either use one on flash and two on cameras, or one on camera and two on separate flashes. in the studio my wife and I often both are shooting so one unit on each camera and one on the main flash. Other flashes are in slave mode and triggered by the main.

I have Cactus v5 and they use rechargeable AA. I think (but not 100%) that the v6 is the same. V5 have been very reliable for us, V6 with ability to change power are even better.
03-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I noticed the Cactus is the unit that you have to use multiple units of, or use Cactus flashes with the receiver built in. I am still curious about the Vello compatibility.
03-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I noticed the Cactus is the unit that you have to use multiple units of or use Cactus flashes with the receiver built in.
Same as any other trigger, you need one on the camera and one on the flash. Some brands use separate receiver and transmitter units. Cactus includes both in each unit. it is more flexible but other than that I don't see any difference. They also have flashes with a transceiver built in (not receiver) but I don't have those so I don't know anything about them.

I use Nikon Sb-26 and Metz AF-48 flashes as well as a few Pentax AF-200T. Plus studio monolights.

03-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a pair of Cactus V5s, but they seem to have problems if the distance between is short, so they did not work for me as I wanted them for macro work where transmitter-receiver distance was commonly less than a meter. I have Vello shutter triggers and they work perfectly. For flash I use the cheapo Chinese made units available on EBAY. You can get a transmitter and one to four receivers, any set for under $30 (under $10 with a single receiver). Mine has two receivers and it has been 100% reliable and they are extremely compact, much smaller than a Cactus V5. They work on two AAA batteries for each unit.
03-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Same as any other trigger, you need one on the camera and one on the flash. Some brands use separate receiver and transmitter units. Cactus includes both in each unit. it is more flexible but other than that I don't see any difference. They also have flashes with a transceiver built in (not receiver) but I don't have those so I don't know anything about them.

I use Nikon Sb-26 and Metz AF-48 flashes as well as a few Pentax AF-200T. Plus studio monolights.

Thank you Jatrax.

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 01:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have a pair of Cactus V5s, but they seem to have problems if the distance between is short, so they did not work for me as I wanted them for macro work where transmitter-receiver distance was commonly less than a meter. I have Vello shutter triggers and they work perfectly. For flash I use the cheapo Chinese made units available on EBAY. You can get a transmitter and one to four receivers, any set for under $30 (under $10 with a single receiver). Mine has two receivers and it has been 100% reliable and they are extremely compact, much smaller than a Cactus V5. They work on two AAA batteries for each unit.
I noticed there different Vello types. Would there be a specific model that I would look for on Amazon or for example at B and H? I am using AF360FGZ units.
03-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Cactus V5 and like them. They are very reliable. I just bought and I am awaiting delivery of a set of Acon R930. I really like the idea of having off camera high speed sync without having to have a 2nd AF360 on my camera. Since I shot mostly weddings and events, PTTL is a huge deal. Though it is not perfect, it delivers a high level of correct exposure using it. I get a far higher success rate than constantly moving around in changing light conditions and shooting manual flash. I will post how well the Acon triggers work after I get them.

03-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks.

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 01:53 PM ----------

Is this the V5 that is compatible with K-3II, K-5IiS, and AF360FGZ flashes?

Http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-V5-Wireless-Flash-Trigger/dp/B005DFI5ZY/ref=sr_...ords=Cactus+v5
03-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go onto EBAY and search for "Neewer remote trigger." There's a transmitter + 4 receiver set from them for $33. Units made by other manufacturers look identical with prices varying a little depending on who is shipping it from where (some come from China directly, others from USA importers, I suspect all of them are made by the same factory but sold under several names, or no name). SFAIK B&H does not carry flash triggers of this kind, but I think that Adorama does, probably under their own brand name ("Flashpoint" for most of their Chinese-made strobe equipment).
03-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this the V5 that is compatible with K-3II, K-5IiS, and AF360FGZ flashes?
That's the one I have.
03-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Go onto EBAY and search for "Neewer remote trigger." There's a transmitter + 4 receiver set from them for $33. Units made by other manufacturers look identical with prices varying a little depending on who is shipping it from where (some come from China directly, others from USA importers, I suspect all of them are made by the same factory but sold under several names, or no name).
I suspect you are correct

Velo brand accessories are very similar to Neewer brand which tend to look a lot like Bower brand and so one...

Steve
03-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Go onto EBAY and search for "Neewer remote trigger." There's a transmitter + 4 receiver set from them for $33. Units made by other manufacturers look identical with prices varying a little depending on who is shipping it from where (some come from China directly, others from USA importers, I suspect all of them are made by the same factory but sold under several names, or no name). SFAIK B&H does not carry flash triggers of this kind, but I think that Adorama does, probably under their own brand name ("Flashpoint" for most of their Chinese-made strobe equipment).

I think this may be the one you are referring to.

Neewer 4 Channel Wireless Remote FM Flash Speedlite Radio Trigger with 2 5mm | eBay

Is this safe to use on the K-5IIS/K-3II, and the AF360FGZ flash units? Also, does it perform dependably, in case you know? I doubt if I would buy it though, due to it requiring a 23A battery type, which is not rechargeable.

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 04:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect you are correct

Velo brand accessories are very similar to Neewer brand which tend to look a lot like Bower brand and so one...

Steve
Vello uses two triple a batteries for the transmitter that are rechargeable though, the Neewer uses a 23A battery that is not rechargeable. What the 23A battery actually is, is a stack of coin type batteries in a roll holding them together. The AAA and AA batteries are single bodied, that is why they are rechargeable.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-07-2016 at 02:30 PM.
03-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this may be the one you are referring to.

Neewer 4 Channel Wireless Remote FM Flash Speedlite Radio Trigger with 2 5mm | eBay

Is this safe to use on the K-5IIS/K-3II, and the AF360FGZ flash units? Also, does it perform dependably, in case you know? I doubt if I would buy it though, due to it requiring a 23A battery type, which is not rechargeable.
Yes. The units I have are identical in appearance but take AAA batteries. I have used them with no problems and 100% reliability on K20D, K5D and K3D with AF 360, two different Metz strobes, a Cactus RF60, Sunpak 433 and 444, and old Braun 2AA strobe, and a few others. No problems whatever.
03-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes. The units I have are identical in appearance but take AAA batteries. I have used them with no problems and 100% reliability on K20D, K5D and K3D with AF 360, two different Metz strobes, a Cactus RF60, Sunpak 433 and 444, and old Braun 2AA strobe, and a few others. No problems whatever.
Thank you, maybe I can find a version that uses the AAA type battery. I am really not sure what I may get yet.

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 04:53 PM ----------

This is one of the Vello brand type I was looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Vello-FreeWave-Wireless-Trigger-Receiver/dp/B00V3VY4UC...ct_top?ie=UTF8

All it says is "compatible with most hot shoe flashes".

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not familiar with Vello, I use Cactus. But these will be all manual, just transmitting the 'fire' signal so I would think they should work. There are numerous e-bay triggers that work fine.

One thing to think about is that the Cactus v6 allows setting flash power at the camera for remote flashes. Might be worth looking into if you are working with the flashes at some distance
The V5 and V6 look like the type that would be dependable and are listed as compatible with Pentax. The V6 flash power control looks like a nice feature. Are the V5 and V6 capable of working together, in case I bought some V5 and V6 units? Also, thank you so much for your help.

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-07-2016 at 03:07 PM.
03-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope this question is on-topic. I've been thinking about getting remote triggers, but I'm concerned about the trigger voltage on some of my flash units. The worst case scenario is my '70s vintage Vivitar 283 that has a trigger voltage of over 300 volts. I don't dare put it on my K10D. I usually trigger it with the Vivitar SL-2 slave that is designed for it. The problem is that there has to be a relatively strong flash to trigger it. I've tried it in both the hi and low ambient settings and it doesn't seem to matter, sometimes it just won't fire. (My newer 283 is 8 volts, so no problem on the camera.) I have a few other flash units with TVs of 42 volts, etc. How much voltage can modern remote triggers take? I need something that will fire every time and doesn't require light input.