Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

NOS Pentax Shutter Button Accessory

During my travels in Japan last month, I managed to pick up this Pentax shutter button. It was unopened, new old stock. Looks great on the MX, will post some photos soon.

03-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, what does it do?
03-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Ok, what does it do?
A soft release shutter button just helps to stabilise the shutter by adding more surface area for your index finger to press. There's some nice custom made ones here.
03-07-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, never saw that before.

03-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks, never saw that before.
They only work for shutter releases having a threaded cable release fitting. I have never seen a Pentax version before, but they are very popular with rangefinder film photographers. Some are large and some tiny and many of them serve as sort of a subtle bling. Tom Abrahamsson is credited for much of the resurgence in the popularity of these items. His product page gives a short rational for using one:

Abrahamsson Softie – Regular and M-Softie | Rapidwinder

Steve

(...am thinking about getting one for my Bessa R3M...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-07-2016 at 07:27 PM.
03-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Some are large and some tiny and many of them serve as sort of a subtle bling.
Yeah, saw that on the site linked to. Kinda cool, but unfortunately I'm not drilling and tapping a threaded hole in my k-3
03-07-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Here's the new Pentax soft release shutter button on my MX. To my surprise, it actually makes a compact SLR like this easier to handle and gives you more leverage on the shutter.

11-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Here's the new Pentax soft release shutter button on my MX. To my surprise, it actually makes a compact SLR like this easier to handle and gives you more leverage on the shutter.
Super BUMP!

Apologies for unearthing such an old thread. That's a very nice upgrade/addition to the MX. How was the installation? Is it fairly simple or does it involve having to drill threads into the shutter release?
11-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yanix03 Quote
Is it fairly simple or does it involve having to drill threads into the shutter release?
These manual focus film cameras all have a threaded shutter button to attach a cable release. You just screw these buttons into the same thread.

Phil.
11-26-2021, 05:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I used to use the domed trim from mirror screws on my Ricoh KR10 Supers, back in the day.

For those who don't know what a mirror screw is :

Mirror Screws Choose - Size/Type Available Flat,Dome,Chrome & Brass High Quality | eBay
11-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I purchased something a bit like that for my A7C, it attaches via a mini patch of double-sided tape so it can be mounted on any camera. I have a second one, but never felt like putting it on my K-1. Pentax's ergonomics are just better

Fuji is still threading their shutter buttons, like old film cameras.
11-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used to have these fitted to most of my old 35mm film cameras, really make for a "soft" release and so much easier when wearing gloves … probably not really necessary with modern electric shutter-buttons, still got a couple around somewhere!
11-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #13

Thanks for the responses. I took a look at my camera's shutter release and found that it does have the threads inside.

Ordered a 3rd party soft shutter release button. I'm hoping it'll help keep my hands steady whenever I press the shutter release.
11-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the responses. I took a look at my camera's shutter release and found that it does have the threads inside.

Ordered a 3rd party soft shutter release button. I'm hoping it'll help keep my hands steady whenever I press the shutter release.
Let us know when you've tested it!
11-28-2021, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It will likely have the opposite effect when used as expected. It allows a gentle preload on the shutter button such that release is decisive on actual press. The results are amazing. From the CameraQuest paragraph on soft usage:

QuoteQuote:
Many experienced shooters report the larger Classic Soft Release and the smaller MiniSoftRelease button actually helps take sharper pics. By helping you squeeze the shutter more gently, there is less camera movement and sharper pics. They are one accessory which can help you take better shots -- if you are careful shooter. On the other hand, if you're the type that clinches down on your shutter release with the 2,000 lbs. psi jaw strength of an alligator, it's not going to make much difference if you use a soft release or not, or what type of lens or film you use, or even if you bother to load your camera with film at all. The larger Classic size is best for a Leica M body (except the M240 and ME) -- BUT the Mini is more versatile as it will fit cameras the Classic will not while STILL fitting Leica M bodies as well. Please note that Leica changed the shutter release thread on the M240 and ME, which means you must use the M240 version of the Classic Soft Release on those cameras.
Enjoy! They are fun!

Steve